Beware The Person Lurking In The Ditch On The Road Between Trat And Chonburi

leisurely

Didn't know where to put this so here will do. Yesterday we were driving back from Koh Chang and I saw someone laying in the ditch thing between the two carraigeways. Initially I thought it was a road surveyor, but realised that to use a theodolite one is normally standing. This individual looked like one of the road sweepers, with a hat and balaclava sort of arrangement covering their face. Didn't think anything else about it until I was funneled in by the police. Usual give over the licence thing and do you speak Thai? When I said that neither me nor Mr Man did, policeman number one called his colleague over. He said that we had been observed driving in the right hand lane for at least 3km and did I know it was against the law? I did want to point out that the left hand lane was so pot holed due to the heavy lorries that it was safer to drive in the right lane. Sense prevailed and I kept shtum. Anyhow, he asked me if I wanted a ticket or to pay the fine on the spot. I considered the options and decided on the instant one. He asked me how much I thought it was worth to break the law for 3 km, I answered about 100 baht, he said 300, I said 200 and we were on our way.

So,beware the person laying in the drainage canal twixt the highways, she is a spotter!

Didn't know where to put this so here will do. Yesterday we were driving back from Koh Chang and I saw someone laying in the ditch thing between the two carraigeways. Initially I thought it was a road surveyor, but realised that to use a theodolite one is normally standing. This individual looked like one of the road sweepers, with a hat and balaclava sort of arrangement covering their face. Didn't think anything else about it until I was funneled in by the police. Usual give over the licence thing and do you speak Thai? When I said that neither me nor Mr Man did, policeman number one called his colleague over. He said that we had been observed driving in the right hand lane for at least 3km and did I know it was against the law? I did want to point out that the left hand lane was so pot holed due to the heavy lorries that it was safer to drive in the right lane. Sense prevailed and I kept shtum. Anyhow, he asked me if I wanted a ticket or to pay the fine on the spot. I considered the options and decided on the instant one. He asked me how much I thought it was worth to break the law for 3 km, I answered about 100 baht, he said 300, I said 200 and we were on our way.

So,beware the person laying in the drainage canal twixt the highways, she is a spotter!

I'm curious to hear from you what you have in mind the next time she's laying there or what anyone can do about it........? :o

LaoPo

I'm curious to hear from you what you have in mind the next time she's laying there or what anyone can do about it........? :o

LaoPo

Well, pulling into the left lane until you see the police checkpoint would be a good start I expect :D

I might be tempted to think the police know everyone drives in the outside lane if the inside one is so badly in need of repair . Everyone is guilty so most will pay up .

The person in the ditch would seem to me to be unrelated to the matter.

Unless you heard her mutter 'got you banged to rights now chummy' as you passed!

In any case , a well aimed coke can might give some satisfaction , if you pass that way again !

Edited by swanks

The person in the ditch would seem to me to be unrelated to the matter.

I wonder, who's paying for the dry-cleaners.... :D Lying down there in some ditch in the bl__dy heat and/or rain is not exactly a job anyone is looking for, is it ?

Was she wearing a mask against the exhaust pollution ? :o

Poor girl... :D

LaoPo

Driving into Bangkok on the motorway the other day I pulled up to the toll booth with the least cars (a logical move I thought), it was near the far right of the ones the sign said were OK for cars. I was clearly in of the 8 or so lanes designated for cars and there were lots of other cars there too. Before I could leave the booth, a cop told me to pull over up ahead. He asked me where I was coming from I said Chonburi, he said that if I am coming from Chonburi I am supposed to use the lanes further to the left of where I was :D , He asked for my license and said I could get it back at the station at Bang Pii (or Pli). I said I had no idea where that was so what was my other choice (as if I didn’t know). He said I could give him not more than 400 baht. My wife said how about 200, and he smiled and said that would be fine.

I guess I missed the Chonburi people only, keep left sign, on the way in, quite silly of me really. :o

A pal of mine is a rep in the Uk. His dashboard looks like the command module from Star Wars. But if you have travel on any motorways, including the LOS on a regular basis, a little technical help will probably pay for itself in the long run.