Expat numbers

roger101

Not interested in folks who have:

- PR (Permanent Residency? 

- The Elite long-term visa?

- Those who stay very-long term on family related visas?

- Those who stay very long-term through having a Work Permit and therefore a visa which can

keep them legitimately in the lOS for decades?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm retired with a marriage extension does that count. ????

you and me both  We qualify for a medal after 20 years here, 'The Honorable Order of the Downtrodden, Put Upon and Exploited'  Third Grade.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

you and me both  We qualify for a medal after 20 years here, 'The Honorable Order of the Downtrodden, Put Upon and Exploited'  Third Grade.  

Well at least it's still the same hoops with a little bit extra sometimes at renewal along with writing signature cramp. ????.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well at least it's still the same hoops with a little bit extra sometimes at renewal along with writing signature cramp. ????.

I guess that at my age, when excitement may be harder to come by,  I can get quite excited in anticipation of what will be required next. 

• Haha 1

When the top dog from the US Embassy met with Chiang Mai residents he stated that while the USA Embassy does not have exact figures, their best guess is 75,000 American on some sort of long stay visas and the majority of those would be retirement, but he declined to put a number on it. He also stated that with tourists in the high season the Embassy expects the numbers to could climb to 110,000 at peak season. I'm assuming he meant mid-Dec to mid-Jan.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I guess that at my age, when excitement may be harder to come by,  I can get quite excited in anticipation of what will be required next. 

The way I see it being married you have made a commitment unlike single retirees that's not to say I don't have sympathy for those that have been here a long time who can't meet the new regulations it's not fair in my book.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I believe 400k expats and just by visuals I reckon 80% are retirees. So roughly 300k. 

Read somewhere only 5% of Thais have 100k in the bank or more.

5% of 68m is 3.4m 

"I believe 400k expats and just by visuals I reckon 80% are retirees. So roughly 300k. "

Your saying all up 400,000 foreigners here in LOS and 80% are retirees.

Not so sure about that:

- There's many foreigners working here well under 50 years old, plenty in there early 20s., teachers is just one example, an erormous number of teachers in total, and in other professions also, and some just young rich folks. 

- There's many expats over 50 here and under 50 on overseas posting from their parent company abroad.

- Also some PR holders over 50, some actually retired and some still working, plus some who have gained PR well under 50 years old, working and not working.