why i became a vegetarian

yogavnture

On 2/5/2019 at 9:54 AM, fruitman said:

image.jpeg.fceb49796510cbafd80e329bc4883179.jpeg

How can you fall asleep while eating this???  I can't imagine..solly

Haven't seen one of them since coming back from the pub when I was 18 or 19!

They were delicious, although when pissed and needing food, anything is delicious ????.

I became vegetarian around 7 years later, and remained so for more than 25 years.  It was easy to be vegetarian in the UK, far more difficult after moving to Thailand, as I dislike cooking and there are very few organic/vegetarian 'ready meals' available :sad:.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Only a small percentage of the oceans’ oil and trash comes from fishing vessels.

1.     Fishing vessels represent only a small percentage of ocean vessels.

2.     Most of the oil in the ocean is washed off the roads, into storm drains and on down the river to the ocean.

3.     Most of the trash in the ocean is generated on lad and either washed down or directly dumped into the ocean.

"Most of the trash in the ocean is generated on lad and either washed down or directly dumped into the ocean."

Good point.

I walk my dogs along the beach everyday and see one hell of a lot of trash being washed up, along with many dead puffer fish, morays etc. etc. :sad:

The only times I was taken by suprise was when seeing a mattress (which is now slowly subsiding into the sand) and then a boat door, which was presumably, eventually washed back out to sea.

The dead fish are obviously the result of fishing boats, but the mattress/boat door/general trash are more likely due to other factors.

16 hours ago, yogavnture said:

ive had a personal belief for along time now.  firstly thier are spirits in this world.  call them gods or spirits whatever.  invisible energy........and i believe we as humans will be judged by the invisible force upon our death based on how we treated the earth and its living creatures.  im proud to be a vegetarian.  and i want to treat living creatures with respect . including the earth i live on as a guest.  when i see oil piling up on shore , and masses of garbage that seem to only be getting worse. i want to do my part. and right now its by not supporting the fishing industry as i believe they are the culprits in polluting our seas.  beyond that a fish has a right to exist,  its a proven fact that since the 1970 s   according to the wwf.  humans have removed from the earth 60percent of its living creatures.  i feel sorry for the next generation. im sorry.  i will try to do my part. if every one did just one tiny thing.  lets say not use plastic bags or straws so much. we could at least do a dent and the spirit gods will smile upon us at our death

I have no such belief, but agree with you when it comes to the damage we're doing to our planet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jesimps said:

I have nothing against vegetarians, as long as they keep it to themselves. It's when they start preaching to the rest of us that they get on my tits. Same with any other minority group, keep your personal preferences personal and we'll all get on fine. 

In my experience it's the meat-eaters that start arguing against being vegetarian, once they realised I was vegetarian.....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Nothing funny about it. Facts remain facts, regardless of your ignorant opinion of them. :coffee1:

If you are open to actual, factual info:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320524.php

So when I quote you, you accuse me of not being open to facts, even funnier.

I care nothing about what you guys do or do not eat, why do you guys seem so worried about what we eat?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

Thai budhists also agree if you let the animals fight to death and can gamble on the outcome....see the roosters everywhere.

Not really a Buddhist thing to do.

Also, I've been to a cockfight in Thailand. Must have been 100 fights that day. Not one cock was killed. Some serious money changed hands though!

On 2/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, dick dasterdly said:

In my experience it's the meat-eaters that start arguing against being vegetarian, once they realised I was vegetarian.....

I'd take the insults and the scorn, rather than eating corpses :coffee1:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

I'd take the insults and the scorn, rather than eating corpses :coffee1:

They're OK if you roast them first. Sprig of rosemary up the jacksie, yummy.

Edited by Spidey

• 4 weeks later...

I have always been squimish about eating dead animal flesh.  Even as a child. But I dont preach to others to defend my feelings or look down on those who dont share my thoughts.

I been a raving veggie for 50 plus years. Its a personal decision. I get the pis$ taken but never react. I understand the opposite view .. 

I am guessing but the thought of eating beef or pork etc generates the same revulsion in me as carnivors would have eating a frog or cockroach or a rat.

If meat eaters had to slit the throat of the lamb for example many could not do it.  

Its like .. it tastes good .. dont think it through.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PAWNEESE said:

I have always been squimish about eating dead animal flesh.  Even as a child. But I dont preach to others to defend my feelings or look down on those who dont share my thoughts.

I been a raving veggie for 50 plus years. Its a personal decision. I get the pis$ taken but never react. I understand the opposite view .. 

I am guessing but the thought of eating beef or pork etc generates the same revulsion in me as carnivors would have eating a frog or cockroach or a rat.

If meat eaters had to slit the throat of the lamb for example many could not do it.  

Its like .. it tastes good .. dont think it through.

I hate eating dead vegetables. They have to be killed as well, what's the difference?

You say you don't preach to others in one sentence, and in the next describe yourself as a raving veggie in the next. Too funny.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, PAWNEESE said:

I had Frog in Maehongson and hear that the field rats in Lampang taste pretty good.  It’s quite expensive though.

Nobody eats cockroaches, but most vegetarians I know sure do miss bacon.  ???? 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I had Frog in Maehongson and hear that the field rats in Lampang taste pretty good.  It’s quite expensive though.

Nobody eats cockroaches, but most vegetarians I know sure do miss bacon.  ???? 

Not one vegetarian I know misses shredded swine flesh even a little bit. 

On 2/6/2019 at 12:22 AM, j8k said:

I would never become veggie - that would mean giving up certain things I like to do with my Thai boyfriends, if you catch my drift ????

But wouldn't it be OK as long as you don't swallow?!? :bah: ????

Yellowtail ..

"I hate eating dead vegetables. They have to be killed as well, what's the difference?

You say you don't preach to others in one sentence, and in the next describe yourself as a raving veggie in the next. Too funny."

Really ! Vegetables have to be killed ???????? Ive had that said to me before.  In jest .. but you seem serious.  Very odd. 

Describing myself as a raving veggie is preaching ????? Veggie = not eating animals.  Raving meant as taking piss out myself really.  Its called discussion .. or chatting in a forum. Durrrrrrrr. Me thinks you need to look up the word preaching. 

But hey ho .. if you gonna get arquementative over my meek statement then guess you are what you show to the world. 

Cheer up.  Your a big butch keyboard warrior. We get it.

Edited by PAWNEESE
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, PAWNEESE said:

Yellowtail ..

"I hate eating dead vegetables. They have to be killed as well, what's the difference?

You say you don't preach to others in one sentence, and in the next describe yourself as a raving veggie in the next. Too funny."

Really ! Vegetables have to be killed ???????? Ive had that said to me before.  In jest .. but you seem serious.  Very odd. 

Describing myself as a raving veggie is preaching ????? Veggie = not eating animals.  Raving meant as taking piss out myself really.  Its called discussion .. or chatting in a forum. Durrrrrrrr. Me thinks you need to look up the word preaching. 

But hey ho .. if you gonna get arquementative over my meek statement then guess you are what you show to the world. 

Cheer up.  Your a big butch keyboard warrior. We get it.

Wow, homophobic name-calling, clever. 

• Sad 1

Personally, I'm going this way. And it is, at the end of the day, a personal decision. Anything intelligent I won't eat. It just depends how wide you cast the net - I still eat fish and poultry. Dairy products remain a problem - you steal the mother's milk; but cows, and sheep and what have you, are natural prey. In the wild they're gonna get killed and eaten by something or other. My other problem is cruelty, like I've totally gone off shellfish (crabs, lobsters, etc.), I'm by no means convinced they don't feel pain when boiled alive. At least with fish and poultry it's a quick death, mostly.