Tourist visa in Phnom penh

Hi.

We have 3 SETV in out passport from the last 18 months.

We will be in Phnom penh to make a new one.

How hard are they with the visa ? do they ask a lot ? ( I certainly know that Laos are better)

What is the chance we are going to have a problem when entering Thailand by air ? 

is it better for us to go by land ? if so which is a good border coming from Cambodia ?

Thank you.

Based on recent reports, I think you are taking a risk, having 3 SETVs in your passport already. That might make you a target for the "void without prejudice" stamp.

As for re-entering Thailand from Cambodia, any land border except for Poipet should be fine. Personally, I like Koh Kong (Hat Lek on the Thai side) and have never had any issues when entering Thailand there.

I write this more as a bump since another guy also in pp asking about this. I have never obtained setv in pp. From what I understand its a place where many folk use an agent. Also as previous advice above, depending on OP detailed history staying los, a border crossing more safe than bkk airports.

Just re reading the op. "3 in out setv in past 18 month"

Setv + extension = 3 month

X 3 = about 9-10 months. What else for 18 month? Some visa exempt stamp + extension. On another look without detailed info, there is no way I would fly into bkk. There was thread maybe month ago, chap had several setv (more than 3) over similar period. Flight into DM from Saigon. WITH SETV. Refused entry. Flown back to Saigon. Refused entry. No visa. Flown to UK. Nightmare. Be very careful OP. Lot depends on how long you have spent in other countries. Mention in out setv but no details how that amounts to 18 months. Time elsewhere? 

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1

OMG Now I am really worried, I was under the impression that 3 are not that much !

People say they are doing this for years with more than 15 .. and a lot of people .

Ours was like this :

2 weeks vacation TH (Feb 2018)

2 months vietnam (till around 5 Jun)

3 months TH (till 3 Aug 2018)

1 month in vietnam (till 3 September 2018)

3 months TH ( till 30Dec 2018)

2 months in Philipinese and Cambodia

-----

NEVER OVER STAY ONE MOMENT.

Is it that bad ? how people do this 20 times ?

Why it looks that in some forums and groups people make fun of me for being scared, and here it looks like you gonna get kicked out almost for sure.

Trying for long time to find where is the truth, what is the statistics.

Edited by Rob4

2 hours ago, Rob4 said:

OMG Now I am really worried, I was under the impression that 3 are not that much !

People say they are doing this for years with more than 15 .. and a lot of people .

Ours was like this :

-----

Why it looks that in some forums and groups people make fun of me for being scared, and here it looks like you gonna get kicked out almost for sure.

Thai immigration, for many years, have been trying to reduce the numbers of people living/working in the country as a tourist.

They are mainly concerned about the time spent in the country rather than the number of visas/entries.

The fact that you’ve spent weeks/months outside the country between visits to Thailand is a big plus.

2 hours ago, Rob4 said:

Ours was like this :

-----

I bump this because the experts like ubon, elviajero and many others can give good advice. The reason in my previous posts asking you for detailed history is very important. Clearly you guys are tourists spending significant time outside los. Most folk try and get a setv and back within couple days. I think you will be fine, even at airport. The experts will give better advice

Ha I posted this same time as elviajero....go figure

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1

Agents today didn't want to do a visa services for me, said that I had too many visas previously in my passport.
Doesn't help matters that my passport is over 4 years old and I visit Thailand twice a year.
How days visa exempt do NZ passport holders get at land border crossings?
I'm considering crossing at O'smach.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

58 minutes ago, jayci said:

30 days, which can be extended within Thailand at an immigration office by another 30 days. You can enter visa exempt at a land border twice per calendar year.

1 hour ago, jayci said:

Agents today didn't want to do a visa services for me, said that I had too many visas previously in my passport.
Doesn't help matters that my passport is over 4 years old and I visit Thailand twice a year.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Stating you have too many visas and enter twice a year is confusing. You want advice on thread that you didn't start helps very least you give details

Thanks a lot all of you.

So to make the "algorithm" a little bit more clear, if you spend a ~month outside between visits, with them it MAY be a sign that you are more like a tourist, but if you do a 1-3 days outside it looks bad ? (but tourists comes 1-2 a year not with a month break:) )

To be honest, we spent 6 months in Thailand with a 1 month break, and now another 2 months break and go in again, in my opinion may look unlike a tourist ?

QUESTION :

Would you advice us to stay outside for a little bit more (say 2 weeks) so next entrance will be 25Feb,19  where last exit was 28Dec, 18 ? or this 2 weeks are not that meaningful ? (should we take a month?).

Hard to understand what are Thai really looking after.

Thanks again.

21 hours ago, Rob4 said:

Beginning with a fresh passport, they start at the "hard" consulates, and work their way to the "easier" ones, until they finally get the "remark stamp" on a Tourist Visa, then get a new passport and start over.

Many also never enter Thailand via dangerous / unpredictable entry points like the Bangkok airports or the Poipet/Aranya land-border, where you could be denied-entry on a non-rule ("too much time before") combined with a lying-stamp in your passport.

21 hours ago, Rob4 said:

I am not aware of "refused-entry" statistics.  Some claim, "Oh, it's not that many..." - well, yes, compared to the zillion short-timers coming in every day on cheap-tours, etc.  But we don't know how what percentage of those with a longer-history of stays in Thailand are interrogated or denied-entry.  When I was using Tourist Visas, I never, ever, flew into the country - and it's only gotten worse sense that time.

Some snowbirds, here for a few months then gone for 6+ months, from wealthy countries, report being interrogated now.  People with METVs, which require showing plenty of funds in the bank for months at a time to qualify for the visa, have been denied-entry.  It's not just "staying almost all the time" or "maybe too poor" types being targeted, any more.

15 hours ago, jayci said:

They know the deal at that consulate better than anyone here.  Listen to them.  HCMC would be the closest alternative.

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Stating you have too many visas and enter twice a year is confusing.

I think he is only referring to how the agents believe the consul at the PP consulate will react to several Thai Visas in his passport - even though they are spaced-apart with significant-time out-of-country.

48 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

So to make the "algorithm" a little bit more clear, if you spend a ~month outside between visits, with them it MAY be a sign that you are more like a tourist, but if you do a 1-3 days outside it looks bad ? (but tourists comes 1-2 a year not with a month break:) )

To be honest, we spent 6 months in Thailand with a 1 month break, and now another 2 months break and go in again, in my opinion may look unlike a tourist ?

There is no legal limit on "Being in Thailand as a Tourist" in Thai law.  There are limits on what you can do while in Thailand "As a Tourist" - such as not working (always illegal, if here as a Tourist), overstaying, or breaking other laws.   That's it.

The only place you have to worry about "too long here before" for an entry with a Tourist Visa, is at entry-points which do not follow published Thai law.  As you have no overstays, reports to-date indicate you will be fine entering at any land-border other that Poipet/Aranyaprathet.

51 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Would you advice us to stay outside for a little bit more (say 2 weeks) so next entrance will be 25Feb,19  where last exit was 28Dec, 18 ? or this 2 weeks are not that meaningful ? (should we take a month?).

If you intend to try your luck entering by air - this time, or in the future - then more time between entries Might help - or not - but cannot hurt - depending on the IO and/or his supervisor's instructions at the bad entry-point. 

54 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Hard to understand what are Thai really looking after.

No one can know the answer to this, because there is no oversight forcing all IOs at all locations to follow the law.  If they followed their own laws, consistently, at every entry point and immigration office, life here would be much easier and less stressful for everyone - including the IOs, who might face negative-consequences for not following an illegal instruction from a supervisor.

THANKS !

"reports to-date indicate you will be fine entering at any land-border other that Poipet/Aranyaprathet."

So, any other air border can be bad ?  Which is a GOOD (or the best compared) air border to go into ?  

For instance we used to go into Surathani and they where really cute/didn't care too much.

Which is a good land border coming from Cambodia ?

Thanks.