How long will it take before Russian replaces English as the official language

Mekong2Mamtin

It always astounds me when I make a trip to Thailand how prevalent the Russian language is around the country. It's on street signs, billboards, spoken around busy areas. Not that this is a problem; I find Russian a delightful language to listen to and have always enjoyed the warm nature of Russian tourists abroad.

How long until it replaces English as the most common dialect?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

The last time I was in Phuket Russian and Russians predominated. The beaches were a sea of fish-belly white people ???? not a brown girl to be seen as all the Russian guys were with their wives. Many restaurants only had Russian signs out front. No English or Thai at all.

Russian?

A typical tourist spot view.

What I see is that students/pupils fight with strange symbols.

Language called Chinese.

THAT is the next dominating foreign language for Thailand.

Nǐ hǎo!

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

The last time I was in Phuket Russian and Russians predominated. The beaches were a sea of fish-belly white people ???? not a brown girl to be seen as all the Russian guys were with their wives. Many restaurants only had Russian signs out front. No English or Thai at all.

I guess Russians need to be near the ocean, i.e., Phuket and Pattaya.  Perhaps they are taking over seaside towns, I don't know.  But come inland a bit and they're pretty scarce.   

Again, don't fear takeover by the Russians.
Read what happens to Cambodia, Sihanoukville in particular to learn WHO will takeover.

The difference until now is just that the Chinese are more hidden from daily life in tourist hotspots. Russians do at least walk around individually in small groups or families.

The Russians have been here earlier than the Chinese and Cyrillic script is seen for many years.

On 2/5/2019 at 5:02 PM, Mekong2Mamtin said:

and have always enjoyed the warm nature of Russian tourists abroad.

Yeah the minute they get on off the plane they change from misanthropic and morbid drunks with dark souls, to happyskippy little sprites of joy. Yep. Thats what happens.

I loved drinking with Russians in Russia. In winter. With lots of singing and poetry disclaiming, sobbing vows of forever friendship over Blini and smoked fish. Russians are happily unhappy. They are about as warm as my second wifes divorce lawyer with the pictures.

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:30 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Again, don't fear takeover by the Russians.
Read what happens to Cambodia, Sihanoukville in particular to learn WHO will takeover.

The difference until now is just that the Chinese are more hidden from daily life in tourist hotspots. Russians do at least walk around individually in small groups or families.

The Russians have been here earlier than the Chinese and Cyrillic script is seen for many years.

The World Health Organization is taking over? That can't be all bad! ????

• Haha 1

I wonder what the source of these provocative and inflammatory newbie posts are?

there have been dozens of them in the last month. 

the first topic posted is always something to provoke an emotional response or a highly polarizing statement.