PM Prayut targets diesel cars, factories

webfact

They should come down heavy on transport and bus companies that belch the black smoke out. I have a 7 yr old BT-50 turbo Mazda diesel does not and never blown black smoke out. A major cause for diesel vehicles is to make sure to replace the air filters regular. I do, all the time.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, shaurene said:

They should come down heavy on transport and bus companies that belch the black smoke out. I have a 7 yr old BT-50 turbo Mazda diesel does not and never blown black smoke out. A major cause for diesel vehicles is to make sure to replace the air filters regular. I do, all the time.

That's probably because you know how to take care of your vehicle.

They need to start by having regular vehicles inspections for exhaust emissions that are compounding the issues of dangerous gases /vehicle smog in cities like in Bangkok. We have the the equipment available here now in Bangkok that cleans the carbon from vehicle engines and exhaust systems using Hydrogen Gas. After cleaning the engine the dangerous gas emission from the exhaust are greatly reduced. If the Government are serious, then they need to start looking at other solutions like this. The more cleaning stations we have around Bangkok the quicker the vehicle smog can start to be reduced. www.crventureshho.com

Very unfortunate that Thailand focuses more on hosting conferences and meetings, than participating and implementing.  How do you say acid rain in Thai?  (notice date of conference below)   

"He also asked that people not see the official operation to mitigate the smog problem by spraying water into the air as a joke, because it can at least reduce the level of larger dust particles in the air."

Keep spraying water for the "smog", as it concentrates, falls, breathed in, or settles on surfaces (your skin, your lungs, your eyes, your Mercedes), the damage is very real.

image.png.f003f77b08cd958793280a15149c1688.png

10 minutes ago, Chris Renaix said:

I don't understand the good man...  He's talking like this now while in Krabi he's pushing to open a plant fired by coal.  Is that not polluting then?

Yes but if you all want electric cars the unfortunate truth is that you will need power stations to generate the electricity to power them.

This absolute incompetent only acts when it becomes a national emergency, an international embarrassment and humiliation for the government (word is out all over the world right now, and I know people avoiding Thailand due to the news that the air is now comparable to Beijing, Shanghai, and Delhi) or a disaster. He never, ever even considers taking proactive action. He and his ministers do not have the vision for that, nor do they care enough. They desperately need to be replaced, immediately. By anybody. Bozo the Clown could do a far better job than the army. 

Something needs to be done. Thailand could start by doing everything in it's power to discourage the purchase of new diesel vehicles. This is happening all over the world, but as usual, Thailand is in last place, when it comes to anything the slightest bit progressive or innovative. 

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Something needs to be done. Thailand could start by doing everything in it's power to discourage the purchase of new diesel vehicles. This is happening all over the world, but as usual, Thailand is in last place, when it comes to anything the slightest bit progressive or innovative. 

What exactly is the problem with Diesel cars ?

... any science behind it ??? Or just a world wide agenda by some financial interests ???

And if it is Diesel - why don't you want ALL ships to stop running as they are all running on Diesel

and causing way more pollution than any car could ever do ?

Like Ferries to the Islands, Cruise Liners, Fishermen, Cargo ships .... ALL of them !!!

Or are you in fact just jumping on the band wagon of nonsense because it's just fashion these days ?

Thailand needs to get their act together in order to push for electrical vehicles which includes VAT reduction/exemption, charging station infrastructure, etc.  

The first electrical vehicle in Thailand (the Nissan leaf) costs over 2M!!!  <deleted>!?!  Who is going to pay for it when you can get a BMW plug-in hybrid for 300K more.

Rolling eyes till I die....

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“We need to closely examine automobile engines,

yeah cuz  its  really hard to see those with black smoke belching out the back, mainly  lorries and buses  with the odd  souped  up  pick up............... good  plan..............so observe and do what???

6 minutes ago, brain150 said:

... any science behind it ??? Or just a world wide agenda by some financial interests ???

And if it is Diesel - why don't you want ALL ships to stop running as they are all running on Diesel

Like Ferries to the Islands, Cruise Liners, Fishermen, Cargo ships .... ALL of them !!!

Or are you in fact just jumping on the band wagon of nonsense because it's just fashion these days ?

or  planes which have no regs i think...............yeah wheres the evidence of diesel?

4 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Determined to restore health and happiness to the people…Uncle Number One investigates reports that the smog is caused by dust released into the air from unwashed socks…

SOCK01.JPG

not true.....instead of  punching folk hes resorting to ripping off their  legs now????????

3 hours ago, Ossy said:

Hey, bluesofa, have you spelt misspelt correctly? I was thinking it should be 2 separate words, miss-spelt. Just a minute, I'll check. Yes, you're right . . . I think they changed it just recently ????

How about Gen. Prayuth, BSc mistargets pollution causes? No, that should be miss-targets, but he's definitely miss-taken, though.

Cupid Stunt

11 minutes ago, brain150 said:

Yes. There is alot of scientific data on this subject.

We know that long-term exposure to nitric oxide can significantly increase the risk of respiratory problems, and so these emissions have been regulated for some time. The fine particulate matter (PM) that diesel engines produce also causes cancer and can have acute respiratory effects. Particulate filters in car exhausts can reduce PM emissions by more than 90%, but they require good operating conditions and regular maintenance. They can also produce more nitrogen dioxide, making diesel one of the main sources of this toxic gas.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/fact-check-are-diesel-cars-really-more-polluting-than-petrol-cars/

The real issue is twofold. While diesel motors are very efficient on the highway, at low RPM, they produce alot of noxious fumes in an urban environment. And second, it is about maintenance. The oil in a diesel vehicle becomes black very quickly, and that leads to more emissions. Many here are not exactly famous for their willingness to maintain their vehicles, and keep them up. Without regularly changed oil, and maintenance, a diesel vehicle quickly becomes very toxic to the environment. This is science. It has nothing to do with fashion, or your concept of PC, nor your denial, or defense of diesel. Facts are facts, regardless of what Rudy says.  

And we have little control over the world's cruise ships. Fortunately, they do not operate in metro Bangkok or Chiang Mai, do they? 

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. There is alot of scientific data on this subject.

We know that long-term exposure to nitric oxide can significantly increase the risk of respiratory problems, and so these emissions have been regulated for some time. The fine particulate matter (PM) that diesel engines produce also causes cancer and can have acute respiratory effects. Particulate filters in car exhausts can reduce PM emissions by more than 90%, but they require good operating conditions and regular maintenance. They can also produce more nitrogen dioxide, making diesel one of the main sources of this toxic gas.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/fact-check-are-diesel-cars-really-more-polluting-than-petrol-cars/

The real issue is twofold. While diesel motors are very efficient on the highway, at low RPM, they produce alot of noxious fumes in an urban environment. And second, it is about maintenance. The oil in a diesel vehicle becomes black very quickly, and that leads to more emissions. Many here are not exactly famous for their willingness to maintain their vehicles, and keep them up. Without regularly changed oil, and maintenance, a diesel vehicle quickly becomes very toxic to the environment. This is science. It has nothing to do with fashion, or your concept of PC, nor your denial, or defense of diesel. Facts are facts, regardless of what Rudy says.  

And we have little control over the world's cruise ships. Fortunately, they do not operate in metro Bangkok or Chiang Mai, do they? 

How do your diesel fine particle emissions compare to a simple candle ?

[If you want to talk Science !]

Electric cars with batteries. I like it a lot.

Cost of assembling an engine with all its parts as compared to an electric motor with batteries wouldn't be that much different. 

I think the deals behind closed doors are the problem. 

15 minutes ago, kannot said:

Yes, the science of politics and money. When Diesel first invented his engine which is what cars were originally designed to run on there was no concern about pollution. Today there are millions of diesel engines. Notice I didn't say cars. I had an opportunity to go aboard a WWII German submarine moored in Long Beach, California about 20 years ago. After 20 minutes I had a headache and could not breathe. Diesel engines are their own special kind of poison.

Diesels came after steam in the maritime industry, now there is an interest in nuclear power for ships. Diesel advancements did not keep up with other internal combustion engines. It is some nasty foul stuff.

If you're looking for evidenced based results. set up a table onside the road next to a truck yard let truck pass all day then eat the food while you continue to breathe that poison.

Want to be really future thinking.. Drop the import tax on electric vehicles.. Totally.. 

Watch a huge boom in car sales, infrastructure, clean tech, while at the same time upgrading the country and image on the roads.. And getting clean air. 

2 hours ago, Batboy said:

They need to start by having regular vehicles inspections for exhaust emissions that are compounding the issues of dangerous gases /vehicle smog in cities like in Bangkok. We have the the equipment available here now in Bangkok that cleans the carbon from vehicle engines and exhaust systems using Hydrogen Gas. After cleaning the engine the dangerous gas emission from the exhaust are greatly reduced. If the Government are serious, then they need to start looking at other solutions like this. The more cleaning stations we have around Bangkok the quicker the vehicle smog can start to be reduced. www.crventureshho.com

Agree. I think it needs to be surprise checks. Although I have no proof, I think a lot of these use illegal ‘ home made fuel. If they know when it’s going to be tested, they could then just run normal fuel for a week beforehand and pass. 

Give credit where it's due - these are all the right steps, if the government actually follows through. In particular recognizing the independent drivers of the most polluting diesel trucks need help getting new vehicles. And shutting down factories that don't cut pollution.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The government has also already lowered the tax on electric cars as an incentive to promote the use of electric vehicles.”

What a useless man, nothing will be done to deter anything prior to an election.

Most vehicles that are causing a majority of the pollution are diesel types, especially if related to transport or trucks, trains including pick-ups.

If I remember rightly the national vehicle check ( M.O.T in some countries) is still every 5 years which is ludicrous, it should be done annually with any out of limit vehicles removed from the road until maintained or scrapped.

As for companies only the very small family businesses will be effected if at all, none of the big polluters will be touched, as that might cause disruption which would effect Prayuts alternative plans!

As for lowering tax on electric cars, good luck with that one too, only the rich can afford them & only then if you can afford to charge it up at home, as I have never seen a public charging point yet!!!

Which means all the diesel polluting vehicles will continue as normal as I don't expect to see any Thais voluntarily giving up their cherished smog machine any time soon !!!

Oh and as for water spraying I watched a truck going down the road yesterday spraying the road with water, blasting all the rubbish into the gutter & beyond, for it to be dispersed by the next breeze back to where it came from, while billowing black exhaust fumes poured out from the exhaust !!!!

I look forward to the smog continuing !

Archived