PM Prayut targets diesel cars, factories

webfact

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He needs to start with the Factories I don't see that many diesels, the factories are whats making all the buildings turn black and the burning of the garbage where the smoke stacks are no taller than our 10 story apartment three kilometers away and blows in our window when the wind is from the north. Spraying water and/or molasses in the air isn't going to do anything. I do have to agree with one person above, grilling downtown and not much wind to blow it away doesn't help. Thailand already has more LPG NPG....more ethanol vehicles than the USA that the USA could learn from Thai's and Thai's to learn from there 200 year old friends the USA about the factories......

are CNG powered trucks more economically viable? than Diesel

if so, then apply Tax concessions in that direction

trucking companies will only listen to something that ends up being cheaper for themselves

5 hours ago, timewilltell said:

inside super congested Bangkok because of the egocentric love affair Thais have with cars that make them look good.

Sadly in the race to make money there has been no planning, what is the alternative to cars in the city at this time, public transport? ????

There is no viable alternative at this time, realisticly there probably never will be either :shock1:

5 minutes ago, mikeoffenbach said:

is there enough green electric energy available in Thailand or will the smog just be moved elsewhere when we change to electric cars?

Sulfuric acid rain...

Cadmium clouds... 

and MrP's smelly socks

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He also asked that people not see the official operation to mitigate the smog problem by spraying water into the air as a joke, because it can at least reduce the level of larger dust particles in the air.

Why doesnt he co-ordinate a country wide water spraying? if everybody in the country turns on their sprinkler systems or waters the garden at the same time that should effectively remove all the pollution in the air across the entire country ????

Or maybe not, as they are just pi$$ing in the wind ????

"...considered by the Cabinet..."  Key word, considered.  Today, I have considering losing weight.  Just as unlikely to happen as anything the Cabinet 'considered'.  And, there you have it, folks, today's talk, talk, talk.  Stay tuned tomorrow to All Talk, No Action.

1 hour ago, Jimdandy said:

Yes, the science of politics and money. When Diesel first invented his engine which is what cars were originally designed to run on there was no concern about pollution. Today there are millions of diesel engines. Notice I didn't say cars. I had an opportunity to go aboard a WWII German submarine moored in Long Beach, California about 20 years ago. After 20 minutes I had a headache and could not breathe. Diesel engines are their own special kind of poison.

Diesels came after steam in the maritime industry, now there is an interest in nuclear power for ships. Diesel advancements did not keep up with other internal combustion engines. It is some nasty foul stuff.

If you're looking for evidenced based results. set up a table onside the road next to a truck yard let truck pass all day then eat the food while you continue to breathe that poison.

Finally. A voice of reason in the diesel denial debate. Thank you for your intelligence, common sense, reason and facts. How many gasoline cars or pickups have you seen lately spewing massive clouds of black smoke? Take those horrific offenders off the road!

2 hours ago, brain150 said:

How do your diesel fine particle emissions compare to a simple candle ?

[If you want to talk Science !]

Please, sir! . . . DFPE's are more polluting per passenger kilometre. Good boy, Ossy!

10 hours ago, webfact said:

“I have ordered the Transport Ministry to find a solution, including measures to assist those who use diesel vehicles to switch to alternative cleaner fuels.

Someone forgot to inform him that the majority of vehicles in Thailand are diesel and apart from the dangerous LPG conversion and costs involved, there are no other options (to my knowledge)

2 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

Yes, the science of politics and money. When Diesel first invented his engine which is what cars were originally designed to run on there was no concern about pollution. Today there are millions of diesel engines. Notice I didn't say cars. I had an opportunity to go aboard a WWII German submarine moored in Long Beach, California about 20 years ago. After 20 minutes I had a headache and could not breathe. Diesel engines are their own special kind of poison.

Diesels came after steam in the maritime industry, now there is an interest in nuclear power for ships. Diesel advancements did not keep up with other internal combustion engines. It is some nasty foul stuff.

If you're looking for evidenced based results. set up a table onside the road next to a truck yard let truck pass all day then eat the food while you continue to breathe that poison.

The other day my partner and I were stopped at a traffic light.  Pattaya City had installed a line of plastic tubes along the side of the traffic lane to prevent vehicles from making an illegal turn.  My partner pointed out that these tubes were right at the height of exhaust pipes.  Even though they had not been in place that long, and even though they were at least a few feet from the exhaust pipes, the original bright orange and white tubes were now gray-black from diesel exhaust.

21 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

Someone forgot to inform him that the majority of vehicles in Thailand are diesel and apart from the dangerous LPG conversion and costs involved, there are no other options (to my knowledge)

compressed natural gas (cng) or nvg as it's known in Thailand and at least here in Rayong it's easily available. you can buy new vehicles with this equipment already installed and you will see a lot of trucks with the tanks installed behind the cab.       

As usual, Thai "Officials" come up with totally unworkable "solutions", just to sound as if they know what they are talking about. Once again, the Thai populace "too stupid" to see through their unworkable political bull sugar.

Love what you find lovable about Thais and Thailand (Meland) but don't include politicians.

2 hours ago, brain150 said:

The oil in a diesel vehicle becomes black very quickly, and that leads to more emissions. Many here are not exactly famous for their willingness to maintain their vehicles, and keep them up. Without regularly changed oil, and maintenance, a diesel vehicle quickly becomes very toxic to the environment.

lol. Would you care to elaborate on this?

I am quite surprised that no one has thought of this idea yet !

Remove all the boats out of the water and then get them to start their engines. The rotors act like a kind of fan and blow all the bad air away.

It worked before in water for the floods. Surely it will work again! ????

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Finally. A voice of reason in the diesel denial debate. Thank you for your intelligence, common sense, reason and facts. How many gasoline cars or pickups have you seen lately spewing massive clouds of black smoke? Take those horrific offenders off the road!

Thank you for your point of debate

4 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Give credit where it's due - these are all the right steps, if the government actually follows through. In particular recognizing the independent drivers of the most polluting diesel trucks need help getting new vehicles. And shutting down factories that don't cut pollution.

There is no "credit" because none is due.

This is all hot air,nothing will be done.

I note with continuing interest the studious avoidance of any mention of the the ultra polluting Asian peasant farmers...

15 hours ago, webfact said:

"I have ordered the Transport Ministry to find a solution"

Oh, well everything is fine now....he ordered a solution! And he is going to have water sprayed, that should be a permanent solution....right?

“We need to closely examine automobile engines, whether they are properly equipped with a pollution filtering system and whether the engines are in good condition,” he said.

What's the point, when the owners of smoke belching cars and pickups can slip a couple hundred baht to the "inspection station" to be cleared for renewal of their annual tax sticker. How many of these vehicles do you see on the road, and wonder how they "passed" the annual inspection?

Archived