Pope says he is committed to stopping sexual abuse of nuns

webfact

Pope says he is committed to stopping sexual abuse of nuns

By Philip Pullella

2019-02-05T191740Z_1_LYNXNPEF141IQ_RTROPTP_4_POPE-EMIRATES.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Pope Francis holds a mass at Zayed Sports City Stadium in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, February 5, 2019. REUTERS/Tony Gentile

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE (Reuters) - Pope Francis, whose papacy has been marked by efforts to quell a global crisis over sexual abuse of children by Catholic clergy, said on Tuesday he was committed to stopping the abuse of nuns by priests and bishops, some of whom had used the women as sex slaves.

Francis made his comments on the plane returning from Abu Dhabi in response to a reporter's question about an article last week in a Vatican monthly magazine about the abuse of nuns in the Catholic Church.

Recently more nuns, encouraged by the #MeToo movement, have been coming forward to describe abuse at the hands of priests and bishops. Last year, the International Union of Superiors General, which represents more than 500,000 Catholic nuns, urged their members to report abuse.

"It is true ... there have been priests and even bishops who have done this. I think it is still going on because something does not stop just because you have become aware of it," Francis said.

"We have been working on this for a long time. We have suspended some priests because of this," he said, adding that the Vatican was in the process of shutting down a female religious order because of sexual abuse and corruption. He did not name it.

"I can't say 'this does not happen in my house.' It is true. Do we have to do more? Yes. Are we willing? Yes," he said.

Francis said former Pope Benedict dissolved a religious order of women shortly after his election as pontiff in 2005 "because slavery had become part of it (the religious order), even sexual slavery on the part of priests and the founder".

He did not name the group but Vatican spokesman Alessandro Gisotti said it was a French order.

Before he became pope, Benedict was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the head of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, the Vatican department that investigates sexual abuse. The pope at the time was John Paul.

Then-cardinal Ratzinger wanted to investigate the religious order where women were being abused but he was blocked, Francis said, without saying who prevented the probe.

After he became pope, Ratzinger reopened the investigation and dissolved the order, Francis said.

Pope Francis has summoned key bishops from around the world to a summit later this month at the Vatican to find a unified response on how to protect children from sexual abuse by clergy.

Asked if there would be some kind of similar action to confront abuse of nuns in the Church, he said: "I want to move forward. We are working on it."

(Reporting by Philip Pullella; Editing by Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-06

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Microsoft had hundreds/thousands of criminal allegations like the Church, there would be numerous international criminal investigations.

If the United Nations had hundreds/thousands of criminal allegations like the Church, there would be numerous international criminal investigations.

If British Petroleum (BP) had hundreds/thousands of criminal allegations like the Church, there would be numerous international criminal investigations.

If Carrefour had hundreds/thousands of criminal allegations like the Church, there would be numerous international criminal investigations.

If Samsung had hundreds/thousands of criminal allegations like the Church, there would be numerous international criminal investigations.

If the Red Cross had hundreds/thousands of criminal allegations like the Church, there would be numerous international criminal investigations.

If Sony had hundreds/thousands of criminal allegations like the Church, there would be numerous international criminal investigations.

If the IOC had hundreds/thousands of criminal allegations like the Church, there would be numerous international criminal investigations.

If CP ALL had hundreds/thousands of criminal allegations like the Church, there would be numerous international criminal investigations.

Why is there not an international criminal investigation of the Catholic Church?

Why?

When is the Roman Catholic Church going to admit the policy of enforced celibacy - originally conceived in the seventeenth century to protect church property from inheritance claims - is the root cause of sexual abuse and pedophilia in its ranks? Haven't the cardinals of the Church stuck their collective heads in the sand long enough?

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

When is the Roman Catholic Church going to admit the policy of enforced celibacy - originally conceived in the seventeenth century to protect church property from inheritance claims - is the root cause of sexual abuse and pedophilia in its ranks? Haven't the cardinals of the Church stuck their collective heads in the sand long enough?

I think it is a little more complicated that enforced celibacy.   I think celibacy is part of it, but it has provided cover for gays and also for pedophiles.   It's apparent that nuns weren't safe either.   

People who are sexually marginalized have found safety in joining the priesthood.   It worked fairly well for them as long as everyone kept their mouth shut, but those days seem to be over.

Give any person or group of people power over others and sooner or later, some of those in power will use their power to gain sex, money or more power from those over whom they hold sway unless there are strong and effective checks, transparency and oversight. It is human nature.

41 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Give any person or group of people power over others and sooner or later, some of those in power will use their power to gain sex, money or more power from those over whom they hold sway unless there are strong and effective checks, transparency and oversight. It is human nature.

This!

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Actually the origins go back to the first and second Lateran councils of the 12th and 16th centuries. However, lets not forget that we now have nuns under investigation for sexual abuse as well.

Just now, Seismic said:

Actually the origins go back to the first and second Lateran councils of the 12th and 16th centuries. However, lets not forget that we now have nuns under investigation for sexual abuse as well.

Is there any evidence available that we can watch?

This is the worst Pope ever. Do nothing. Accomplish nothing.

First we learn the priests were abusing children for decades and now we learn they are also abusing the nuns. I'd love to see an investigation where all priests have their computers confiscated to see exactly what they were doing on them. This is so sad. I was raised Catholic and tried to go back several times. 

It seems there aren't many happy people there when I've tried to give them a chance to win me over. I attended a new Catholic Church 3 weeks ago and the "greeter" at the door was stone faced and didn't say a word even after I said "good morning" to him. No eye contact at all. I'm also curious as to why some priests after conducting hundreds and maybe thousands of services still need to read the same words from a book. After that long, if they were serious and committed servants of God would have the words imbedded in the head and heart. Maybe they are spending too much time on perversion.

Sadly it isn't only the Catholic Church and their leaders that have lost their way. Most religions have issues with their "leaders". Take for instance all folks on TV that are telling people they "NEED" to send them money so they can carry forward the good word. Then they end up spending it on multi-million dollar homes or jets or fine dining etc as they have come to believe they are better than the folks they should be serving.  

24 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Hoax? I hope you change your way of thinking else it'll be changed for you on judgment day sir.

"There will be a golden staircase leading down. And at his feet, they'll cast a golden crown."

Johnny Cash.

59 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why is anybody still supporting these charlatans? By now everybody should know that religion is a hoax.

Hoax? I hope you change your way of thinking else it'll be changed for you on judgment day sir.

He will survive the judgement. It is told he can walk on water, turn water to wine, and heal the crippled with one bare hand. He is also the only one who witnessed when an old man with a white beard created the world 20.000 years ago.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

He will survive the judgement. It is told he can walk on water, turn water to wine, and heal the crippled with one bare hand. He is also the only one who witnessed when an old man with a white beard created the world 20.000 years ago.

Very unfortunate comment simply made for a laugh. Good luck to you in life.

2 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

This is the worst Pope ever. Do nothing. Accomplish nothing.

Actually if you want the worst pope ever it was Pope John Paul 2 (or should I write St. John Paul 2 since he's apparently being promoted to sainthood) who turned a very big blind eye on all these abuses. He protected a monster called Marsial Marciel who just happened to be bringing in very big bucks to the church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcial_Maciel

Archived