I Spent 6 Months In A Thai Prison For Shoplifting. Here’s How It Changed My Life

webfact

I Spent 6 Months In A Thai Prison For Shoplifting. Here’s How It Changed My Life

Emilia Semrau

Guest Writer

5c532ba13b00007202689541.jpg

COURTESY OF EMILIA SEMRAU

This name card was given to Emilia Semrau when she arrived at the prison in Mae Hong Son, Thailand. During her incarceration she placed the card on top of her bedding each morning to reserve her sleeping spot. The card states her crime (theft), her age (25) and the length of her sentence (6 months). 

I left my home in Olympia, Washington, in January 2018 to undertake a two-year global journey I hoped would help me to discover more about the world and, subsequently, myself. I had just divorced a wonderful man ― and the equally wonderful life that came with him ― after being married for six years.

I left everything I knew ― and anything I couldn’t fit into a 60-liter backpack ― because I realized my true path was to travel by myself and share my knowledge of yoga and holistic health. I booked a ticket to my first destination, Thailand, and as I flew towards my new life, I was full of faith in the unknown and I trusted that I was honoring my true path. Little did I know that one unwise decision would radically change my perspective on everything I thought I knew about myself and who I am.

It was 2:00 in the afternoon on a Friday during the first week of my adventure and I was in Pai, a bustling hippie tourist hub located in northern Thailand. I entered a shop I hadn’t noticed before during my four days in town. Its doorway was covered with a vibrant silk cloth and its interior revealed shelves stacked with handmade jewelry and leather goods. The displays were beautiful and obviously tended to with great care.

Full story: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thai-prison-shoplifting_us_5c51e314e4b0ca92c6dc9c81

-- HUFFINGTON POST 2019-02-06

• Like 1

Good girls in, bad girls out.

There's a Temple near us teaches Vipissana meditation. Apparently it's worse than a prison sentance.

I'm sure this young lady learned some valuable life lessons.

If not, she could always open a massage parlour.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

They frown upon petty crime in Thailand especially with a Farang, do your time bitch

She's done it already and is back in the USA.

In the UK police won't attend a shoplifting case unless it involves goods over £200. Apparently there are now shoplifting gangs stealing just under the threshold. If caught they can, like a speeding offence, opt to not appear in court and plead guilty by completing a form. Just how they get caught and prosecuted if the police don't attend, I'm not sure. Read it in the Daily Telegraph the other day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, grollies said:

Good girls in, bad girls out.

There's a Temple near us teaches Vipissana meditation. Apparently it's worse than a prison sentance.

I'm sure this young lady learned some valuable life lessons.

If not, she could always open a massage parlour.

I've done it. 3x. Most people crack. Not many can live alone in their heads for 10 days. Even 7, even 3.

• Like 1

Sneak thievery is a common forms of theft in Thailand and most shops have CCTV cameras, with news programs regularly broadcasting footage of shoplifters. Years ago I was in a shop and this young boy was hiding in a cardboard box which had a spy hole cut in it. :w00t:

Surprised to hear her sentence was that severe. Seems like in the last few years, every time a foreigner gets busted for having sticky fingers it ends up on the news, so if anybody's thinking they can get away with it here because they're above suspicion, be forewarned.

Edited by Gecko123

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Surprised to hear her sentence was that severe. Seems like in the last few years, every time a foreigner gets busted for having sticky fingers it ends up on the news, 

Apart from the fact that this wasnt on the news and She wrote a personal blog about it , which was picked up by TV

22 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Think she got paid by Huffington Post already.

Doing time in a Thai prison is always good copy I suppose.

The sentence might have seemed harsh but I'll bet she doesn't do it again. 

Hmm!!  I'm not sure i believe this?  6 months for petty theft, I think the police and shopkeeper would have got her to pay and kicked her out of Thailand. More to this story than what's stated, even if true.

Edited by Pdavies99

14 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Hmm!!  I'm not sure i believe this?  6 months for petty theft, I think the police and shopkeeper would have got her to pay and kicked her out of Thailand. More to this story than what's stated, even if true.

Yes, surprising that this didnt make the news .

Not surprising though , she started a gofundmepage 

https://www.gofundme.com/help-free-emilia-in-thailand

Whats that noise that I can hear ?

• Haha 2

If you're going to be a thief, at least be good at it. Without blinking, she should have pulled out a credit card, smiled, and said, "Yes, I love this bag. How much is it? Do you take Visa?" Be good at your job. Reframe the shopkeepers experience. Project a positive vibe and smile. She didn't leave the store. There is no evidence of theft. Noooo, she was going to buy it! It's beautiful! I love Thailand! 

Would have worked 9 out of 10.