New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HuskerDo said:

I agree. Good point and it appears the Thai govt is fixing that issue hopefully.  

That's a good point, they must be getting fed up with all those housing allowances, unemployment benefits, and 3 days a year cold weather allowances they are paying out.

????????

Not sure where you are going with that Spidey. Let's twist it to include the farangs that move to Thailand to abuse the women and children. Show me a passage from the Bible that considers that ok. Oh, wait, there is no passage that says that sort of thing is ok.

When I was kid I loved the violent bits, especially the story about Sam somebody who obviously disliked Asians because he smote the Phillipinoes high and low with the ass bone of a jaw.

3 hours ago, Bkkthebest said:

You can always bring your awful lot to another table in another country. No one puts a gun on your head to put your awful lot on a Thai table. 

Quite lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". 

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

3 hours ago, Bkkthebest said:

If you have to worship a measly amount of 800,000 baht, you should not be in Thailand. Please leave.. You are a potential problem to Thailand. 

am so sick of the arrogant and sanctimonious postings by guys who have so much money, and are so secure financially, that having this money in the bank for half the year or longer, at minuscule interest rates, means nothing to them. Others are so spot on, with so many of the thoughts posted here. Where I come from, talking about money is considered very low class. Yet, many ex-pats here have no issues, expressing to us how well off they are, how much cash they have, how their incomes are more than enough for anything, etc, etc. 

Ex-pats are going to be leaving in droves. And I do believe that many of us bring alot to the table. Whether or not the fabulously ignorant and arrogant fools at the top, will miss us, is questionable. But, I know many will. 

You left out the women so you apparently think it's ok for farangs to flock there to take advantage of the women. Please refer me to a passage in any book that says that's ok. Hurry, I'm waiting.

From what I read on these TV forums, and other sources, many more Thai women are taking advantage of older expat farang men than the other way round.  Younger western tourists have a much worse reputation for taking advantage of the younger women.

14 hours ago, Olmate said:

Why do some farangs bad mouth other farangs ,piss poor idea too!

Don't have to be a farang to bad mouth farangs. Piss poor, trailer trash farangs, who exploit Thailand but bad mouth Thais have it coming to them. 

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

am so sick of the arrogant and sanctimonious postings by guys who have so much money, and are so secure financially, that having this money in the bank for half the year or longer, at minuscule interest rates, means nothing to them. Others are so spot on, with so many of the thoughts posted here. Where I come from, talking about money is considered very low class. Yet, many ex-pats here have no issues, expressing to us how well off they are, how much cash they have, how their incomes are more than enough for anything, etc, etc. 

Ex-pats are going to be leaving in droves. And I do believe that many of us bring alot to the table. Whether or not the fabulously ignorant and arrogant fools at the top, will miss us, is questionable. But, I know many will. 

Agree .Truth is these posters don’t have such big money at all, just more than the majority.  I wonder if there former workmates, families and friends are aware of their newfound hi so status. Shame it’s a priority to put down your so called fellow expat and very indicative of their real worth IMO...

Tall poppy syndrome in reverse!!

11 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Agree .Truth is these posters don’t have such big money at all, just more than the majority.  I wonder if there former workmates, families and friends are aware of their newfound hi so status. Shame it’s a priority to put down your so called fellow expat and very indicative of their real worth IMO...

Tall poppy syndrome in reverse!!

The gardener and the maid who moved to Thailand and now have a gardener and a maid.

????????

2 hours ago, Bkkthebest said:

Thailand has not developed a system to recognise the different aspect and facet of any farangs' contribution to Thailand. Money is very easy to track and account for as it so in numerical format. Remember.. Thailand is still a developing nation and has much to learn. They can't adopt anything more complex than money at the moment. 

So bang on. The vast majority of expats who live here are honest, law abiding citizens. Just because they don't have the required financial funds, it does not make them bad people. They are still bringing money into the country and helping to employ, feed and contribute to a local economy.

In contrast some of the mouthy ones with big money are more than likely the criminal class ones the Thai Government wants out!!

46 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

So bang on. The vast majority of expats who live here are honest, law abiding citizens. Just because they don't have the required financial funds, it does not make them bad people. They are still bringing money into the country and helping to employ, feed and contribute to a local economy.

In contrast some of the mouthy ones with big money are more than likely the criminal class ones the Thai Government wants out!!

Most don't get it,

The bad boys all have a visa and loads of money to stay here. and always will.

The Thais are just doing the blame game.

They have even got fools on Tv calling old falangs,  the bad guys.

What a laugh.  get them bastard old guys. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :coffee1:

wool over my eyes..png

To the "ChipBetty"s, the "HuskerDo"s.......and the "Neeranam"s: you're wrong, 90 year-olds do post here, I did.  I have supported the Thai economy for many years by buying, in Thai baht, everything that is needed to live my life here, I have not taken even one baht from the Thai economy, as you infer; I did not 'loot the medical system', I pay for all my substantial medical services and prescriptions in Thai baht; I do not 'bad mouth' anyone, as suggested, but people like you, who bad mouth other farang. ex-pats facing similar situations, deserve it.  No, I haven't left yet, but I will have left before my Retirement Visa is up for renewal.  There is so much that a 90-year-old must think about and do because he has no home anymore, other than Thailand.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:52 PM, jmd8800 said:

Maybe the medical condition is not severe enough to warrant him to stay, but if he is married to a UK citizen, wouldn't that grant him some form of visa/ residency?  Bureaucracy should be spelled Bureaucrazy....

On 2/5/2019 at 9:10 PM, Henryford said:

But my point is it's not the same if you can't access the 800k

Quick question - what did people do before, if they used the 800K to live on?  They would have needed another 800K when applying for the next extension.  Where did that come from?  

If I am  not mistaken, the new rule ties up 400K completely, another 400K for 5 months.  I would be very scared to live in a country as a foreign retiree, if I could not keep 15,000 USD / 11,000 GBP in an account to use in case of an emergency.  Wouldn't people have a Plan B to get home in case something drastic happens in Thailand and non-citizens are much less welcome than today (and let's face it, this is always a possibility - even in western democracies ... see USA/ Trump and UK/ Brexit)

7 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Quick question - what did people do before, if they used the 800K to live on?  They would have needed another 800K when applying for the next extension.  Where did that come from?  

If I am  not mistaken, the new rule ties up 400K completely, another 400K for 5 months.  I would be very scared to live in a country as a foreign retiree, if I could not keep 15,000 USD / 11,000 GBP in an account to use in case of an emergency.  Wouldn't people have a Plan B to get home in case something drastic happens in Thailand and non-citizens are much less welcome than today (and let's face it, this is always a possibility - even in western democracies ... see USA/ Trump and UK/ Brexit)

But the point is you can't use the 400/800k in case of an emergency. You would lose your next visa.

21 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Thank you. Even an ex-pat with modest means, spends more than the average Thai family, each month. Many spend 100,000 baht per month here. In return, we take nothing from the Thai economy. It is a one way street, economically. Is that not boosting the local economy? And most of us are decent, honest, respectful, and well intentioned. Few of us commit crimes. Most of us treat our women very well. So, what gives? Where is the disrespect for foreigners coming from? It is emanating from a source of ignorance so vast, it is indescribable. It is called the Prayuth administration. 

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Again, it has nothing to do with finances or the economy.

Nor is it disrespect for foreigners. 

The Thai authorities have seen the rules being bent and they have identified this as an area of concern. 

Retirees are on a temporary visa that gives them an annual permission to stay. If they cannot meet the criteria to obtain the visa or extension then they are not welcome to stay here. Harsh but true and their words/actions not mine. 

These extensions of stay were being obtained by foreigners,

with the collusion of Thai agents and immigration officials, who were not eligible for them.

The system was being abused. It's pretty simple. 

The requirements to be eligible for this visa are subject to continuous scrutiny and potential change by the Thai authorities, and no doubt we will be sitting here reading similar threads when they change those requirements yet again.

As I have mentioned on here before, demand outstrips supply for retirement in Thailand as it is a popular destination so expect those requirements to get stricter and applications to get harder regardless of who is in charge or running the immigration dept. 

The more abuse of the system the more difficult it will become. 

I could not disagree more adamantly. It is all a ruse. A deflection. Sure, there were some loopholes that needed to be closed. But, it is that simple. There is no reason on earth, why the marriage visa should still be so difficult, cumbersome and that the proof of marriage should have to be repeated year after year after year, for the same married couple.

And you are wrong about the demand outstripping supply. The number of ex-pats living here is dropping, and the number moving here is dropping too. That trend will continue, unless Thailand can figure out a way to get an effective and competent administration, to replace the completely hapless one at present. Thailand is simply becoming a less and less attractive place to live, and to move to, for dozens of different reasons. 

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Again, it has nothing to do with finances or the economy.

Nor is it disrespect for foreigners. 

The Thai authorities have seen the rules being bent and they have identified this as an area of concern. 

Retirees are on a temporary visa that gives them an annual permission to stay. If they cannot meet the criteria to obtain the visa or extension then they are not welcome to stay here. Harsh but true and their words/actions not mine. 

These extensions of stay were being obtained by foreigners, with the collusion of Thai agents and immigration officials, who were not eligible for them.

The system was being abused. It's pretty simple. 

The requirements to be eligible for this visa are subject to continuous scrutiny and potential change by the Thai authorities, and no doubt we will be sitting here reading similar threads when they change those requirements yet again.

As I have mentioned on here before, demand outstrips supply for retirement in Thailand as it is a popular destination so expect those requirements to get stricter and applications to get harder regardless of who is in charge or running the immigration dept. 

The more abuse of the system the more difficult it will become. 

Yes.

A good reality check.

I concur with what you say.

I was amazed to meet many foreigners who did not appear to have a Plan B-in any respect.

No nest egg,no medical cover,no psychological preparations for a possible return to their home countries and solely reliant on their wives to get them thru any given day which (i suppose)is fine-as long as she sticks around.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I could not disagree more adamantly. It is all a ruse. A deflection. Sure, there were some loopholes that needed to be closed. But, it is that simple. There is no reason on earth, why the marriage visa should still be so difficult, cumbersome and that the proof of marriage should have to be repeated year after year after year, for the same married couple.

And you are wrong about the demand outstripping supply. The number of ex-pats living here is dropping, and the number moving here is dropping too. That trend will continue, unless Thailand can figure out a way to get an effective and competent administration, to replace the completely hapless one at present. Thailand is simply becoming a less and less attractive place to live, and to move to, for dozens of different reasons. 

Retirement Visa Numbers for the past 5 years:

2012- 39,941

2013-42,258

2014- 58,285

2015- 64,989

2016-, 68,333

2017- 72,844

I would be interested to see your statistics on the number of expats dropping and the number moving here also dropping? Can you provide?

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Retirement Visa Numbers for the past 5 years:

2012- 39,941

2013-42,258

2014- 58,285

2015- 64,989

2016-, 68,333

2017- 72,844

I would be interested to see your statistics on the number of expats dropping and the number moving here also dropping? Can you provide?

Are they T.A.T. statistics!! ????????????????5555!!

1 minute ago, DPKANKAN said:

Are they T.A.T. statistics!! ????????????????5555!!

Thailand Immigration Bureau Statistics. I am sure their data compilation is not great, but i doubt counting the number of Retirement Visas issued is that much beyond them.

Archived