7 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Retirement Visa Numbers for the past 5 years:

2012- 39,941

2013-42,258

2014- 58,285

2015- 64,989

2016-, 68,333

2017- 72,844

I would be interested to see your statistics on the number of expats dropping and the number moving here also dropping? Can you provide?

Very interesting thank you

Rather deflates the often exaggerated impact on the Thai economy - less than 73k retirees in a 60 mil population

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Very interesting thank you

Rather deflates the often exaggerated impact on the Thai economy - less than 73k retirees in a 60 mil population

The only people who exaggerate it are retirees on TVF with an overinflated self importance. 20-50K per month here and there is a irrelevant pin prick in the ocean.

As an aside of those retiree Visa's the Brits accounted for 15% (and have always been the most prominent) 12% Americans, 9% Germans, 7% Chinese, 6% Swiss and Japanese.

Whereas the Thailand retirement Visa is still dominated by Europeans and Americans the Malaysian My Second Home Programme (MM2H) is dominated by retirees from other Asian companies.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:58 AM, stanleycoin said:

Feel the love, and respect. 

we've had your money,  now get out  :bah:

The true face of Thailand, in it's full glory. 

Money number one. 

Lol your kidding! What money?Bloke can't even scrape together 800000 baht to stay here. See ya pal. Why should they want you here. Most wouldn't even be spending 800000 a year going on the multitude of threads on here on how to live on thrupence ha' penny a month. How's it immigrations fault this old desperate can't comply be the rules of his visa? Give me a break.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:21 AM, Thaiwrath said:

I am single, non smoker, and drink maybe only once a week (doctor's recommendation, due to neuropathy), to meet up with expat friends that I have known for nearly 15 years. My visa is 100% legal, as I have the funds in my bank account to get a yearly extension, however, as I am not quite yet 60, my income is less than 65K a month. As all my monthly expenses add up to less than 10k (condo rent/utilities/private internet connection/phone) per month, could you please explain why I shouldn't be living here ? 

You have the funds he doesn't simples! 

11 minutes ago, starky said:

Lol your kidding! What money?Bloke can't even scrape together 800000 baht to stay here. See ya pal. Why should they want you here. Most wouldn't even be spending 800000 a year going on the multitude of threads on here on how to live on thrupence ha' penny a month. How's it immigrations fault this old desperate can't comply be the rules of his visa? Give me a break.

Well, i'm a Brit,  and where i come from,  we don't kick people when there down.

But hey,  we have all sorts on Tv.

Good day

2 hours ago, starky said:

Another arrogant and sanctimonious postings by guys who have so much money, and are so secure financially, that having this money in the bank for half the year or longer, at minuscule interest rates, means nothing to them. Where I come from, talking about money is considered very low class. Yet, many ex-pats here have no issues, expressing to us how well off they are, how much cash they have, how their incomes are more than enough for anything, etc, etc. Hanging out with the locals a bit too often? 

Ex-pats are going to be leaving in droves. And I do believe that many of us bring alot to the table. Whether or not the fabulously ignorant and arrogant fools at the top, will miss us, is questionable. But, I know many will. 

On 2/6/2019 at 8:38 AM, webfact said:

A ninety year old retiree in Thailand has told a newspaper that he is being forced out of Thailand.

Hell, if I was him I would just stay.  What are they going to do, ban him for 10 years from ever re-entering.  

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Another arrogant and sanctimonious postings by guys who have so much money, and are so secure financially, that having this money in the bank for half the year or longer, at minuscule interest rates, means nothing to them. Where I come from, talking about money is considered very low class. Yet, many ex-pats here have no issues, expressing to us how well off they are, how much cash they have, how their incomes are more than enough for anything, etc, etc. Hanging out with the locals a bit too often? 

Ex-pats are going to be leaving in droves. And I do believe that many of us bring alot to the table. Whether or not the fabulously ignorant and arrogant fools at the top, will miss us, is questionable. But, I know many will. 

See ya!!

18 hours ago, smutcakes said:

2012- 39,941

2013-42,258

2014- 58,285

2015- 64,989

2016-, 68,333

2017- 72,844

I would be interested to see your statistics on the number of expats dropping and the number moving here also dropping? Can you provide?

i guess the retirement visa by western farangs is dropping but not those of asian farang, hell , the Thais don't even refer Asians as farangs. I guess those who don't have the funds are making the most noise here and inflated the problem to the max as the view on their own problem is on the verge of apocalypse.

i presume more Asians are taking up the retirement and Elite visa in the coming years.

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thank you. Even an ex-pat with modest means, spends more than the average Thai family, each month. Many spend 100,000 baht per month here. In return, we take nothing from the Thai economy. It is a one way street, economically. Is that not boosting the local economy? And most of us are decent, honest, respectful, and well intentioned. Few of us commit crimes. Most of us treat our women very well. So, what gives? Where is the disrespect for foreigners coming from? It is emanating from a source of ignorance so vast, it is indescribable. It is called the Prayuth administration. 

Excuse me. You are here on visa basis, which means it is a temporary stay here. Why do you sound like you should be on a permanent basis just because you are a law abiding and crime-less foreigner.  

If you want to be kind of a permanent basis here, then apply for a PR, that put you more on the permanent scale side.

But there is a catch, you got to show that you are able to help Thailand economically in a larger scale than spending 100,000 baht per month.

The last person i know who had his PR registration approved in Thailand, set up a textile factory ( which include employing Thai workers to work in his factory) 5 to 10 years prior to his PR registration, and he has married to a Thai woman and has a couple of kids before his PR registration. I think Thailand want people who are like this to be PR approved. That is before the Thaksin era when he has his PR approved. 

19 hours ago, smutcakes said:

2012- 39,941

A link to the source please? Which countries?

19 hours ago, 473geo said:

// less than 73k retirees in a 60 mil population

A really doubt about that...

Not all retirees are on "Retirement Visa", whatever is it you call like that.

The original story on this thread is a work of fiction.

Don is a fictional character.

It's just someone with too much time on their hands writing letters to the Nation.

I am amazed there's so many replies here about something that didn't happen.

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If expats, the western ones, are leaving in droves, the Asian ones, especially the Chinese, are coming in droves, with way more than 800,000 baht to spend per month. 

Thailand loves the Chinese and their wealth. I guess the Thai Chinese who hold huge businesses and investments in Thailand gave the ethic Thais the wealth impression of the Chinese. 

6 minutes ago, Bkkthebest said:

If expats, the western ones, are leaving in droves, the Asian ones, especially the Chinese, are coming in droves, with way more than 800,000 baht to spend per month. //

Chinese that have such money to spend have far better locations than Thailand to do so...

25 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

The original story on this thread is a work of fiction.

Don is a fictional character.

It's just someone with too much time on their hands writing letters to the Nation.

I am amazed there's so many replies here about something that didn't happen.

@Pattaya46 claims to know him. Maybe he is @Pattaya46.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Chinese that have such money to spend have far better locations than Thailand to do so...

They are all over the place. I mentioned "especially the Chinese" and not "only the Chinese". Nothing is stopping them from making Thailand or Bangkok as ONE of their places of stay.

Asian and Chinese come to Thailand to build businesses and invest. They have money to earn and spend. Heck, women comes flocking to them in droves. Mind you , these are quality women and not some Bar girls that farangs trying to hook and hope that they are as young as officially past a minute or 2 and be of legal age. 

I met a China Chinese lad at Route 66 and his table is full of fairly expensive bottles  and girls are around it. He told me proudly that he will be moving to Singapore in a year, but at the moment, in Bangkok.

I know a Korean guy who has Korean friends who ride big motorbikes in Bangkok. They parked their Bikes in front of his friend's Korean Restaurant and we have a meal there. These are good looking young lads and his restaurant owner friend's Thai slim good looking gf is helping him in the restaurant. 

Both of the 2 examples can spend easily 100,000 baht in less than a week.

I am just trying to put on a perspective on how much is 100,000 baht. it is baht and not $ or pound. The number looks big with 5 zeros behind a 1 but it does not value much.

Thailand value people who come to invest and set up businesses. They are the first choice for PR if you are talking about REAL permanent residence status. And not shouting loudly and make it seems like you are a permanent here while you are just having a temporary stay on a VISA.

PS: Pension is not considered an investment to Thailand by the way if you do pay a little bit more attention to it. 

To "Pedro01"......"Don" is not a fictional character.  It is me, I am Don and I am a real person.  I do not spend time on my hands writing letters to the Nation.  You say my plight 'didn't happen'.  It did happen. As to another person who said I should have had a Plan B.  May I say that my Plan A was devised, many many years ago, with my own real money, before inflation and the years and years of spending that 'nest egg' money daily to live a peaceful retirement life in Thailand.  My failure?  Living to be 90 years of age, I guess.  Plan B today?  Well, with 2 heart bypass operations, one balloon inserted in a leg so I could walk (all done in Thailand at private hospitals at personal expense!) and now having a similar problem in the other leg and using a walker and/or a cane, I will try to physically leave Thailand with no place to go to OR go to Pattaya or any shopping mall where they have many high balconies. 

4 minutes ago, alohatodon2 said:

To "Pedro01"......"Don" is not a fictional character.  It is me, I am Don and I am a real person.  I do not spend time on my hands writing letters to the Nation.  You say my plight 'didn't happen'.  It did happen. As to another person who said I should have had a Plan B.  May I say that my Plan A was devised, many many years ago, with my own real money, before inflation and the years and years of spending that 'nest egg' money daily to live a peaceful retirement life in Thailand.  My failure?  Living to be 90 years of age, I guess.  Plan B today?  Well, with 2 heart bypass operations, one balloon inserted in a leg so I could walk (all done in Thailand at private hospitals at personal expense!) and now having a similar problem in the other leg and using a walker and/or a cane, I will try to physically leave Thailand with no place to go to OR go to Pattaya or any shopping mall where they have many high balconies. 

Another poster claimed that you have used the income affidavit to secure a visa extension in the past.

If so, why don't you just import 65k baht/ month from your income to secure a visa extension?

On 2/5/2019 at 7:52 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Everyone on Retirement Extension today was supposed to already have 65k/monthly or 800k in bank,

so why exactly can't he stay anymore after these rather small changes in rules ? 

They want to assert their privilege of staying in Thailand with whatever income they have. While I feel sympathy for these souls, but I would think he will be better in in his home country. 

The answer is simple for you, perhaps not so for me.  For years, my monthly living expenses have not been even close to 65,000 each month and I have lived comfortably.  To transfer that much each month now would mean a build-up of baht in a Thai bank.  At my age, I consider that unwise.

49 minutes ago, Bkkthebest said:

I know a Korean guy who has Korean friends who ride big motorbikes in Bangkok. //

Both of the 2 examples can spend easily 100,000 baht in less than a week.

So do they qualify for your "with way more than 800,000 baht to spend per month":wink:

32 minutes ago, alohatodon2 said:

The answer is simple for you, perhaps not so for me.  For years, my monthly living expenses have not been even close to 65,000 each month and I have lived comfortably.  To transfer that much each month now would mean a build-up of baht in a Thai bank.  At my age, I consider that unwise.

You have two choices there, use the excess to get your leg fixed. Transfer the excess back to the US annually.

My preferred option would be to use the excess to hire a horney nurse to give me the occasional bed bath. You can't take it with you.

3 hours ago, alohatodon2 said:

I am not trying be rude here, but .... it seems you are not being forced to leave as the title of this thread suggests, rather you are choosing to leave as you think it is unwise to transfer that much money to a Thai bank.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:20 AM, jmd8800 said:

I am not trying be rude here, but .... it seems you are not being forced to leave as the title of this thread suggests, rather you are choosing to leave as you think it is unwise to transfer that much money to a Thai bank.

I agree. First world problems, indeed. Don's statement indicates he has the ability to transfer the money each month. Later, he seems to suggest he only has two options, leave Thailand, or kill himself! Like, really? Since you have the money and you obviously were already planning to stay in Thailand...the problem is what exactly? You're 90 years old and you think it's "unwise" to have your money where you are physically residing? Because...you have to save it for what? The entire premise of this story is that you're forced to leave when you intended to stay...so....stay. Transfer money to Thailand to live on. "Problem" solved.

On 10 February 2019 at 8:48 AM, Bkkthebest said:

It is very simple to understand. Thailand wants seniors who have WAY MORE than 800,000 baht to retire in Thailand. Not those who just barely meet the required amount. 

Yep that is true,, but NO, the actual rules STILL make no sense!

....So why allow the poor people to stay by just bringing in 65k per month?

No bank lock-in? No money permanently on deposit?

just bring money in and spend it all, and all while only just meeting the requirements!?

I have 2 villas and a condo, brand new cars, maid, gardeners, nanny..... and yet if I leave 800k in the bank I cannot touch some of it  (the money is not the issue for me, I meet the requirements) - this is not fair to many people that actually have money on deposit with the bank/government - they are being treated less-fairly than the poorer people!

The upside-down and back-to front-rules are unfair!  They penalise the more wealthy, lock-up their money but let the 'cheap-charlies' in with no penalties, at just 65k a month!)

These rules take no account of maybe having 800k in the bank, a house, a car, a wife, time and money invested in a life in Thailand - which can amount to way more than the basic minimum !

BUT HEY! - make things tougher for those on the edge of the new criteria (not me!) but welcome with NO restrictions those that just have their 65k per month, rent lodgings, no car, no property, no money on deposit - ????? Sorry if you cannot see this, but for me, the principle is still the same - they are punishing the people that actually have money in the banks and Thai system but give the people living month-by-month an easy ride!

15 minutes ago, TheMacMan said:

just bring money in and spend it all, and all while only just meeting the requirements!?

I have 2 villas and a condo, brand new cars, maid, gardeners, nanny..... and yet if I leave 800k in the bank I cannot touch some of it  (the money is not the issue for me, I meet the requirements) - this is not fair to many people that actually have money on deposit with the bank/government - they are being treated less-fairly than the poorer people!

The upside-down and back-to front-rules are unfair!  They penalise the more wealthy, lock-up their money but let the 'cheap-charlies' in with no penalties, at just 65k a month!)

These rules take no account of maybe having 800k in the bank, a house, a car, a wife, time and money invested in a life in Thailand - which can amount to way more than the basic minimum !

BUT HEY! - make things tougher for those on the edge of the new criteria (not me!) but welcome with NO restrictions those that just have their 65k per month, rent lodgings, no car, no property, no money on deposit - ????? Sorry if you cannot see this, but for me, the principle is still the same - they are punishing the people that actually have money in the banks and Thai system but give the people living month-by-month an easy ride!

Try taking your money out then and do it the easy ride way! Guess not!

26 minutes ago, TheMacMan said:

No punishment involved. You give the Thai authorities too much credit. Rather than having a cunning plan to rid Thailand of foreigners, the have enacted an extremely badly thought out, badly conceived plan, which was intended to rid TI of corrupt practices and help those who were using the income method and got screwed over by their embassies.

Double fail. Is anyone really surprised?

Archived