How long on 65k method to get a visa?

Just a follow up on my OP.  All the advice is much appreciated.

Got myself in a bit of a bind here, as I have flights booked including transporting a cat.  I was planning on leaving in March, but do not turn 50 until May.  This kind of locks me in to applying once I'm in Thailand.  

The helpful lady at the Thai consulate in Brisbane echoed the remarks here, that it's a lottery as to whether you can get a Non O Imm visa once already in Thailand.  

So the question is now, if I go ahead with the move in March, does the likelihood of getting a visa once in Thailand increase if I use an agent?  And any idea of a ballpark cost for that service?

Thanks again  

28 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

The helpful lady at the Thai consulate in Brisbane echoed the remarks here, that it's a lottery as to whether you can get a Non O Imm visa once already in Thailand.  

No problem to get the non immigrant visa at immigration if you meet all the requirements shown on the immigration website.

The first thing you will need to do is open a bank account.

13 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Do I need to bring criminal and health checks from Australia, or can that be done in Thailand?

Neither of those are required to apply for the visa or a one year extension of stay at immigration.

Those are only need to apply for a OA long stay visa at the Thai embassy in Australia.

• Thanks 1