How long on 65k method to get a visa?

Moving to LOS from Australia next month.  Plan is to open a Thai bank account on arrival, and thereafter seek a retirement visa.

weighing the options of the 65k/month method v. 800k method, given the poor exchange rate.  

I have the 60 day visa.  

If if I open a bank account and deposit 65k for the first two months, will that be sufficient to apply for a retirement visa during the 30 day visa extension period?

thanks in advance

Two months (or possibley one month) of the 65k baht going to a Thai bank from overseas would be enough to apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. You would need at least 15 day remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension on the day you apply for it.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Two months (or possibley one month) of the 65k baht going to a Thai bank from overseas would be enough to apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. You would need at least 15 day remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension on the day you apply for it.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement

Aha Joe, that was a really good one to know actually!! You are saying that if I am starting from zero (sctratch) and deposit one or at most 2 months of 65K into my thabank account I can start to apply for my extension of stay based on retirement. You do not need more deposits than that??

glegolo

3 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

perchance would anyone happen to have a link on converting the tourist visa to a Non imm O?  Fast becoming clear that my research is severely lacking.

General requirements for the visa application is here. But number 6 has not been updated to show the new income requirements.

(click Eng at the top of the page to change it from Thai) https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Aha Joe, that was a really good one to know actually!! You are saying that if I am starting from zero (sctratch) and deposit one or at most 2 months of 65K into my thabank account I can start to apply for my extension of stay based on retirement. You do not need more deposits than that??

Only one month would be needed. The rules for the new income requirements state for the first extension of stay application only one month is needed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only one month would be needed. The rules for the new income requirements state for the first extension of stay application only one month is needed.

Lets say this is NOT the very first extension, but maybe the 3rd or the fourth extension, how many months has to be shown than Joe??

glegolo

36 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Lets say this is NOT the very first extension, but maybe the 3rd or the fourth extension, how many months has to be shown than Joe??

This year only a few months since it did start until this year.

For future extensions the rules states 12 months of transfers into the country when applying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mick501 said:

Moving to LOS from Australia next month.  Plan is to open a Thai bank account on arrival, and thereafter seek a retirement visa

I have the 60 day visa.  

Sounds like you're starting out with a tourist visa. You can't go directly from a tourist visa entry to an extension of stay (not a visa) based on retirement. You'd first need to apply at immigrations for a 90 day non Imm o visa entry.

Better all around if you could start off with a non Imm O-A visa (commonly called a retirement visa) from the Thai embassy in Australia or at least a non Imm O visa.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This year only a few months since it did start until this year.

For future extensions the rules states 12 months of transfers into the country when applying.

Can I ask you to clarify this? This will be my fourth extension (in October, 2019) on Type O for retirement. I am aware of new requirements and intend to use income method. I expect I will need to show 65,000 every month, from Jan 2019 to October 2019. Is this not the case? Do I only need to show a few months, such as Aug, Sept, October? Thank you. 

If I were short one month, could I go to Laos in October, show 3 months, and get a new Type O visa? ????

Edited by Ebumbu

11 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Can I ask you to clarify this? This will be my fourth extension (in October, 2019) on Type O for retirement. I am aware of new requirements and intend to use income method. I expect I will need to show 65,000 every month, from Jan 2019 to October 2019. Is this not the case? Do I only need to show a few months, such as Aug, Sept, October? Thank you. 

Showing as many months as you can is best. January to October would certainly be accepted.

11 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

If I were short one month, could I go to Laos in October, show 3 months, and get a new Type O visa? ????

Yes but it might not need to be 3 months. But it depends upon where in you apply for it in Laos.

Vientiane would want a police clearance certificate and a medical certificate to get one. Savannakhet just proof of income and proof you are retired.

• Like 1

I am on my 3rd retirement extension, normally get a letter from British embassy, and have 400, thousand bht in thai bank for 3 months, unfortunately I will be out of Thailand when my new retirement extension is due on Aug 16(arrive 8 days late) will I be ok to put 65 thousand baht into a bank account starting 28th February? I am married but would prefer retirement extension this year if possible. 

6 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

I am on my 3rd retirement extension, normally get a letter from British embassy, and have 400, thousand bht in thai bank for 3 months, unfortunately I will be out of Thailand when my new retirement extension is due on Aug 16(arrive 8 days late) will I be ok to put 65 thousand baht into a bank account starting 28th February? I am married but would prefer retirement extension this year if possible. 

They should accept only 6 months this year.

A long will you be out of the country before your return. You can apply for your extension up to 30 day early or 45 days at some offices.

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A long will you be out of the country before your return. You can apply for your extension up to 30 day early or 45 days at some offices.

I will be out of Thailand for 3 months before the extension is due. I don't suppose if I just apply late I can get one? (At jomtien) 

1 minute ago, buffallobill said:

I will be out of Thailand for 3 months before the extension is due. I don't suppose if I just apply late I can get one? (At jomtien) 

If enter after your extension and re-entry permit expires you will only have a 30 day visa exempt entry unless you apply for a tourist visa or a non-o visa before returning.

You will have to start all over again to apply for a new extension of stay,

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Sounds like you're starting out with a tourist visa. You can't go directly from a tourist visa entry to an extension of stay (not a visa) based on retirement. You'd first need to apply at immigrations for a 90 day non Imm o visa entry.

Better all around if you could start off with a non Imm O-A visa (commonly called a retirement visa) from the Thai embassy in Australia or at least a non Imm O visa.

Have you tried to get one in the last 3 years

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Google

I guess you missed my post in reply to the one you quoted.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

General requirements for the visa application is here. But number 6 has not been updated to show the new income requirements.

(click Eng at the top of the page to change it from Thai) https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Actually getting a Thai bank account and getting the money into that account withing that time frame could be an issue.

41 minutes ago, ba ba said:

Have you tried to get one in the last 3 years

I'm not Australian and I haven't been out of Thailand in 12 years, so no. I did get a non Imm O-A in Dubai when I first came here as a retiree. I don't think the requirements have changed materially. 

Certainly there are Australians who've posted about getting the O-A. I don't recall anyone having a problem doing so.

4 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Actually getting a Thai bank account and getting the money into that account withing that time frame could be an issue.

Not really much different than opening an account to put 800k baht into to apply for the non immigrant visa.

It just depends upon how long it takes to open an account.

With a 60 day tourist visa entry a person would have 60 days to get it done and they could get a 30 day extension.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes but it might not need to be 3 months. But it depends upon where in you apply for it in Laos.

Vientiane would want a police clearance certificate and a medical certificate to get one. Savannakhet just proof of income and proof you are retired.

Police clearance and medical can be gotten within Thailand, right? Not police clearance from USA (my country), right? 

Savannakhet just proof of income and proof you are retired.

How can I prove I am retired? By showing income into Thai bank? Sounds like Savannakhet wants less. I'm just being super prepared so I don't panic in October.   ????   Thank you UJ. 

Hmmm...

Read anything I could .... still dunno what to do ...

Just done my 11th Extension , Feb 9  ( based on Retirement )

All   years so far  I extended based on 800k in the Bank and sourced from savings....I actually bring in and spend 1 mill for the de-facto and kid and myself.

I return home in April , and , by necessity   my income will be sourced from  my  Aus Super.

Im supposed to make an 'income stream'  from Super  ( my  option is  75k a month ) OR , I can  take out a yearly lump sum , which now Im assuming is  ( 1.6 mill = 800k that I cant touch for 5 months ! , 400k I can Never touch !! , and a mere 200k to get by on while I wait out the 5 months.. geez...

But the Q is simple.

If I start a 75k a month income stream in April , will that meet the requirements  for Thai Immigration for a new Extension due Feb 9 , in 2020?

Thank you in advance to any responses 

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I'm curious about this too - what number of months of 65k transfers would they reasonably expect for those on extensions, given they've promised to show flexibility in 2019? There must be many not even aware of the new requirements - if for instance they showed up mid or late year with only three or four months of transfers would it likely be accepted for the current year's extension? 

43 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm curious about this too - what number of months of 65k transfers would they reasonably expect for those on extensions, given they've promised to show flexibility in 2019? There must be many not even aware of the new requirements - if for instance they showed up mid or late year with only three or four months of transfers would it likely be accepted for the current year's extension? 

Best guess, all months back up to and including January 2019 when the announcement was made.