Volvo S80

bkkmick

Hi

Anyone have any experience with a Volvo S80?

About two months ago there was a problem with the Throttle Control Unit. I took the car to two difference garages. They both put the computer on and came back with both the same problem and the same price to fix it. The cost was 27,000 baht.

The other day coming back from the airport the computer came up with the message "Transmission Service Required". Then it felt like it couldn't get into gear (it's an automatic), finally it just slipped out of gear (only way I can describe it) and wouldn't go any further (engine just revved when I pressed on the throttle).

I took a taxi to a near by "Volvo" garage (not really legit I guess but they all wear a Volvo uniform). They drove me back to the car, spent less than five minutes looking at it and putting the portable computer on and reading the error messages and said they'd tow it back to the garage. Before I let them do that I asked how much they thought it would cost. One of them made a phone call and came back with the magic number 50,000 baht!

I told them just to tow it back to my house which is were it lies at the moment.

Does anyone here have any experience of a problem like this?

Two people I spoke to who have a bit of experience suggested, and forgive me here as I'm not car-technical, that the oil in the auto-gearbox might be too low (this is one of the things that they seemed to take a look at pulling out a yellow dipstick from low-down under the front of the engine).

I'm not that cynical, but I heard him say "farang" while on the phone while getting the price and the same garage quote 20,000 baht to fix the aircon when a real Volvo garage sorted it for 8k baht.

Any ideas welcomed and any comments on how cheap Japanese cars are to run and service not welcome as I know this already.

Thanks

Mick

hi mick,

maybe you can research your problem on the volvo forum http://www.volvo-forums.com/f77-1g-1998-2006-s80-forum.htm

they may be able to answer your questions.

Even if you have to replace the transmission, any price in thailand will be cheaper than the 5K USD you would be charged in the USA! I guess that's something to make you feel better. Ask around to some other thai s80 owners for the garage they use, you may get more realistic quotes with someone who is trusted by somebody you trust. Hope you get it sorted, I think the S80 is a great car, although I quite favor Volvo's swedish sister, SAAB....

Dumb suggestion.

Try disconnecting the battery for a while. My old beemer did a similar thing (actually went into 'get you home mode'), turning it off for a couple of minutes reset the computer and all was fine again, until next time.