How's visa in Phnom Penh really ?

I haven't been there in a while, but for over a decade it basically was :Agency definitely much better than going yourself and working days varied from 2 to 4 days, often with a more expensive express service available.

To get the latest contact LMN Travel agency in PP. 

I tried to get one there in December. I went to Lucky motorcycle where the visa agents are and was told they'd issue me a visa then put a 'void without prejudice' stamp on it - making it immediately invalid. I had a few previous visa exempt stamps in my passport from the past couple of years. I travelled to Thailand a lot but lived in Cambodia. They told me if my passport was clean I'd get a valid visa no problem. Basically, getting a visa in Phnom Penh is only for newbies now. The Thai Consulate in PP are notoriously difficult - just google it. I ended up getting one in HCM City, Vietnam which was a straightforward and easy process. Just apply personally at the Consulate and its ready the next day. Just make sure you meet all the requirements and have the correct paperwork - its on their website.

• Like 2

Everything I have read lately says to only go the PP for a tourist visa on a clean (no other Thailand visas) passport. So if you plan on getting multiple back to back tourist visas, make PP your first stop. Just because a facilitator guarantees you a Thai tourist visa does not mean you will be able to use it. It can be "canceled without prejudice" on the spot with no application refund, and you can also be denied its use on return at Thai immigration. Several years ago, I did get a Thai TV in PP. I did use a facilitator, but it was also a new UK passport. I had no issues. They were quick and efficient. For some reason, things have changed in PP.    

• Like 1

I would not recommend Phnom Penh unless you have a clean passport. If you nevertheless want to try, while avoiding the paid for voided visa, apply yourself in person. Be well groomed and polite, but still expect them to be rude to you. Stay calm. If you have several previous Thai tourist visas in your passport, you will likely get your visa (not voided) but with the "travels frequently to Thailand on tourist visas..." stamp. If they will not give you the visa, they will tell you so without taking your money. I know others recommend using agents but, as long as you have the required documents, I believe applying in person (while a hassle) improves your chances depending on your appearance.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Be well groomed and polite, but still expect them to be rude to you. Stay calm. If you have several previous Thai tourist visas in your passport, you will likely get your visa (not voided) but with the "travels frequently to Thailand on tourist visas..." stamp. If they will not give you the visa, they will tell you so without taking your money. 

Nah, the woman in the Embassy said exactly this:

"You can apply. It's 40 dollars. But the Consul may not sign it. Do you want to apply?"

And I gave her the 40 dollars.

She was not rude by the way. She just kept saying, "Yes your documents are complete, but you spent too long in Thailand. Do you want to apply?"

So they are basically telling you, do it at your own risk.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

I plan to apply for an SETV in Phnom Penh.  The main reason for this is that I want to see the city and I now have a fresh passport.  

By “fresh” I mean a brand new U.S. passport.  It does, however, have an immigration stamp in it stating that my current stay is also a tourist visa.  

Given that I have no history apart from that stamp, should I be okay?

In the worst case scenario, flying onward to Laos as a plan B would not be that bad. What I absolutely do not want is a conspicuous “Void without prejudice” on the first pages of my new passport, or worse yet a red/blue stamp.  I hope that a visa agent will be able to advise whether an application is likely to succeed or not.

1 hour ago, Soneva said:

I plan to apply for an SETV in Phnom Penh.  The main reason for this is that I want to see the city and I now have a fresh passport.  

By “fresh” I mean a brand new U.S. passport.  It does, however, have an immigration stamp in it stating that my current stay is also a tourist visa.  

Given that I have no history apart from that stamp, should I be okay?

In the worst case scenario, flying onward to Laos as a plan B would not be that bad. What I absolutely do not want is a conspicuous “Void without prejudice” on the first pages of my new passport, or worse yet a red/blue stamp.  I hope that a visa agent will be able to advise whether an application is likely to succeed or not.

In this case, an SETV in Phnom Penh should be OK, possibly even recommended. If you ever plan to apply in Phnom Penh, this is the right time to do it. Ensure all required documentation (such as flight reservations) are satisfied. I understand your concern about a voided visa, but I think a properly documented application could only be denied under the following circumstances. It might happen if you have applied for SETVs in Phnom Penh before on older passports (perhaps involving some drama) and consular officials recognise you. I have never heard of an SETV being denied in Phnom Penh for a first SETV in a passport, certainly for a Westerner.

• Like 1

In this case, an SETV in Phnom Penh should be OK, possibly even recommended. If you ever plan to apply in Phnom Penh, this is the right time to do it. Ensure all required documentation (such as flight reservations) are satisfied. I understand your concern about a voided visa, but I think a properly documented application could only be denied under the following circumstances. It might happen if you have applied for SETVs in Phnom Penh before on older passports (perhaps involving some drama) and consular officials recognise you. I have never heard of an SETV being denied in Phnom Penh for a first SETV in a passport, certainly for a Westerner.

Thank you, I really appreciate your advice.

No, I have never been to Phnom Penh before, and have no negative history with this or any other consulate.

I will, as always, be prepared with a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days. Also the usual bank statement, and ฿20,000 cash for my return to Thailand.

That was exactly my thought process, since I want to experience Phnom Penh, now is the time to do it and get a single SETV out of it. Subsequent trips will be to Hanoi and Saigon, routing through Vientiane for my return. Routing through Laos upon return adds a built in fallback option for the visa application, and it’s no hardship as I love traveling in Laos anyway. Furthermore, diversifying consulates avoids potential problems with too many applications in Laos.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Soneva said:

I will, as always, be prepared with a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days. Also the usual bank statement, and ฿20,000 cash for my return to Thailand.

That was exactly my thought process, since I want to experience Phnom Penh, now is the time to do it and get a single SETV out of it. Subsequent trips will be to Hanoi and Saigon, routing through Vientiane for my return. Routing through Laos upon return adds a built in fallback option for the visa application, and it’s no hardship as I love traveling in Laos anyway. Furthermore, diversifying consulates avoids potential problems with too many applications in Laos.

All very sensible.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 1:52 PM, Ulic said:

you can also be denied its use on return at Thai immigration.

That is a possibility with any type of tourist-visa (SETV or METV), if one enters at a location which claims "too long here before" rules exist (unpublished), then claims you are too poor in the rejection-stamp they use. 

If returning by a law-abiding land-border - any except Poipet/Aranyaprathet - this is not reported to occur.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Which visa agency is currently best for SETV in Phnom Penh? I know there are
several, and would appreciate any advice on which has recently produced good results. I have a totally clean passport and can meet all documentation requirements. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect