Immigration rules led me to attempt suicide, says long term Belgian expat

webfact

28 minutes ago, Benroon said:

For Christ’s sake this is getting ridiculous now - how many more sob stories ?

Life can throw you a curveball - accept or adapt! It’s how life works.

Tomorrows headline ‘I had to put all the cats in a sack and throw them in the river’ due to slightly amended immigration rules!

I had to shower twice in a day due to new immigration rules etc etc etc

Give us a break - it’s drowning decent helpful posts about VISAS! 

Serious mental illness just like serious physical disease is not something you can just make go away with mere will power. Treatment is needed. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NickokasH said:

I have now been in a mental hospital for the past three months and have started the process to formally request euthanasia, which thankfully is legal in Belgium even for psychiatric ailments.

I had to google that word euthanasia. 

So you actually want an assisted suicide ?  You don't want to live anymore ? Then you are very ill and need help , no young human being should die just because of a psychiatric reason. 

Life alone is worth living . Bad days or good days.  But you want to end it all. And no other reason than depression. I wish you a speedy recovery, life means more than you think. 

4 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

no wonder he felt so helpless. Just look at the reaction from posters here. I am also that way inclined to think "attempted" suicide is a cry for help but no one knows all the details.

Im lucky enough to have a well off family and if immigration kicked me out my whole family here in thai is fine but some people arent so lucky. With out a place to go which maybe the case for me one day i would be feeling just as shitty. I sold my house, cars, etc.. back home well over 15yrs ago so theres technically nothing for me and everything that should be of value wont be so im sympathetic to those that put way too much effort in to life in a country where the human condition is non existent.

I am sympathetic too, and I also think it's disgusting how quickly farang ridicule each other without even knowing thtn details. The Thais take big advantage of this tendency of ours.

Is this even news? Why post this, it's not newsworthy. Thailand want to get rid of illegals. Fact. More power to them. Suicidal here, Vietnam or Belgium, what's the difference? His time was up, he has to move on. I hope he gets his act together, but it was not Thailand's job to give him a free pass. 

I did not even read this !!! ....  I can not believe yo bastards !!! ... The Thais are just asking you to obey the Laws, !!!  But they had to change the system to stop corruption with the agents, (And the Embassies that just signed any thing, that you pushed under the glass in 30 Seconds) ... ...  Just stop breaking the law !!!....  But you are all upset !!! ...:Just Follow the Laws" ... If you do not have the money to follow them ? Why are you here, ??? .... Looking for an easy way out ???

... Just follow the laws fealls, ? or return to your own countries and start working with theirs right ???

OK, more rational, I went to my Immigration office, who are REALLY OK.

... So If you have a retirement visa issued before the 1 March, then you do not have to show any thing more, than the old requirement in your bank, ... and then nothing after the issue, ....  until your next application. Next year, ... When the new rules apply.

They even said I could use my shares ? in Bualuang as the 800,000 if I got a letter from Bualuang. ? But well, ... my Thai is not that good, ....  and well, ... I still think if I do not actually have he cash in Bualuang, ....  I probably do not qualify for this, / still .... ....   Just follow the laws fellas, ....  or just But out, and go home, like well, ... you countries should be doing it this way also .... like the Nanny Stare of Australia !!! Right ... Just enforcing the laws. 

Not Empowering the Corrupts money backed, Immigration Lobby, of the destructive nd Nepotistic left ... and destroying out country.

...   Good on the Thais !!! for getting smart !!!   and applying these laws in their country at least, !!!  .... before i is too late.

Mark Mark Mark ... 

46 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

No way immigration rules like this should be implemented so quickly, should have at least 1yr notice so people can prepare properly or plan a move .

Seems we pay for corruption in every way, even in trying reduce it !

Then tell your embassy to give 1 year notice that they are withdrawing the income letters so that we can plan ahead better.

Anyway this thread has got nothing to do with those changes, this is about a Belgium man that went onto overstay because of his anxiety attacks that failed to attend at the immigration office and renew what ever visa extension he was on.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Then tell your embassy to give 1 year notice that they are withdrawing the income letters so that we can plan ahead better.

Anyway this thread has got nothing to do with those changes, this is about a Belgium man that went onto overstay because of his anxiety attacks that failed to attend at the immigration office and renew what ever visa extension he was on.

You have had close to 1 year !!!  Depending on when you last renewed you visa, (I do not need the money n the bank until Oct) ... and the Rules of what you should have have not actually changed, ... they are just making you, and the Corrupt, (Axxxxx) agents Prove it !!! ... Like just follow the rules, they actually have not changed that much, they are just blocking out corruption, ...  and why did you come here ? Right ? ..To be corrupt ? ... and beat the system ? .... or just to live with the Thais, that actually have a lot better ruels, and morals, ...  than a lot of countries !!!

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Serious mental illness just like serious physical disease is not something you can just make go away with mere will power. Treatment is needed. 

Well report it as such ? Not Visa rules Problems. .... 

4 hours ago, balo said:

I had to google that word euthanasia. 

So you actually want an assisted suicide ?  You don't want to live anymore ? Then you are very ill and need help , no young human being should die just because of a psychiatric reason. 

Life alone is worth living . Bad days or good days.  But you want to end it all. And no other reason than depression. I wish you a speedy recovery, life means more than you think. 

Maybe speed it up by going to (And Paying for it) in Switzerland ? 

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I somehow suspect that the number of sad stories related to immigration issues are likely to rise dramatically in the next year or so. Genuine medical issues aside, there are undoubtedly many out there right now experiencing anxiety or worse over the current situation.

As do I.

After 42 years here and being 82 yrs old also married for 32 yrs do I have to leave the country before the 2nd of April, due to new Immigration rules.

I seriously think to end it all.

How come, you've been married nearly 32years and abided by the rules...what are you talking about....
Wow 42years, and you havn't got it sorted yet.?

As do I.
After 42 years here and being 82 yrs old also married for 32 yrs do I have to leave the country before the 2nd of April, due to new Immigration rules.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thailand's only great if you've got some money in the bank. Being destitute here must be an absolute nightmare. Much better to go home.

Also if you have any kind of serious illness, you'd be better off almost anywhere else. For some reason Thailand's medical profession is very behind on diagnosis and treatment of almost any kind of psychological condition.

I was disgusted to see how they treat young men who have ended up with paranoid schizophrenia from overuse of yaba. But anyone thinking of moving here should already know these things....

17 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The use of the term loser goes beyond the financial characteristic. It just so happens that the characteristic of loser in Thailand includes those who live  hand to mouth.  The issue of cost of living has been discussed many times over the years, and I don't know about you, but my cost of living in Thailand is as high as it would be in my home country. I maintain a similar quality of life and  the reality is that it costs money.  It's not much of a life  living in a hot stinky fan room, eating 7-11 hot dogs and  Mama noodles. It is not unreasonable to term such people losers. Perhaps, they are winners to you and that's your perspective. 

If you need to maintain a similar quality of life to your home country (imported goods in Villa Mart, imported wine etc) you're going to spend way more than back home. If you enjoy decent local food, not so. It's very easy to live in a perfectly good air conditioned condo or house, and eat and live well for way below 65k per month. And that doesn't begin to include the budgeting of those who've already bought a house here. As a geriatric, I hope you'll be as understanding if immigration brings in draconian new rules (perhaps insurance related) that also force you out. 

According to the Belgium Government website as an Australian I can visit Belgium without a visa for 90 days in any 6 month period.

I am required to have proof of sufficient funds and a return airline ticket.

The listed penalties for overstaying are.

A fine

Deportation

A ban for 1 - 3 years.

So why are Thai Immigration policies harsh?

It seems that this guy is like some other posters on this site they don’t want to comply with with the law then squeal like pigs when caught.

8 hours ago, Mark mark said:

You have had close to 1 year !!!  Depending on when you last renewed you visa, (I do not need the money n the bank until Oct) ... and the Rules of what you should have have not actually changed, ... they are just making you, and the Corrupt, (Axxxxx) agents Prove it !!! ... Like just follow the rules, they actually have not changed that much, they are just blocking out corruption, ...  and why did you come here ? Right ? ..To be corrupt ? ... and beat the system ? .... or just to live with the Thais, that actually have a lot better ruels, and morals, ...  than a lot of countries !!!

Great post Mark Mark my views exactly people come here knowing the rules then want to circumvent the system, The same with the border runs people trying to live permenantly on tourist visas then screaming when the rules are enforced

I have used the embassy document for quite a few years but could prove that I had the required amount coming into a Thai bank

account.

It was a convenient system spoiled by those referred to above.

I have added a post on the rules in Belgium for tourists they can ban overstayers as well.

4 hours ago, bandito said:

As do I.

As you are married (I guess to a Thai) I not see any changes till now for you!

OK, if you are on a retirement visa, then you change change it to a marriage visa. As this actual change is only for retirement visa!!

But as always a lot of people like to complain

23 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

So having worked all his life I assume he had a work permit for Thailand for 10 years. Something smells a bit here. 

I think same, same.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:17 PM, webfact said:

In 2015, at the age of 38, I started experiencing panic attacks every time I left my apartment.

So at age age 28 he comes to the LOS, and states that he has worked all of his life to age 38 where he has lived in Thailand and has been a law abiding citizen.....hmmmm, if he was a law abiding citizen then why did he not renew any documents that would allow him to stay longer, hmmm, maybe because he wasn't such a law abiding citizen ?

Just saying ????

Archived