Poll -- new confusing retirement police orders giving you stress?

Stressed out retirees in Thailand?  

342 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

No stress yet, coz I'm still working, my biggest problem when I retire is going to be showing the lump sum came from outside Thailand (all my money is earned here). Not exactly difficult to fix with an out-in transfer but still a bind.

I'll just continue to worry where it's all going. Something to do with being married to a wonderful Thai lady who does not do "cheap".

I would check to see if money earned with a work permit counts in the same way as money from outside T - it could be that it does as it is counted for  other things such as condo purchase

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

People have different situations and different TIMING parameters for their next extension. It is very hard and sometimes IMPOSSIBLE to plan for a successful next extension as some of the new rules are so massively unclear. Both about what's needed and enforcement details. Most extremely for those that would like to do a combo application without embassy letter. 

I think the jist of Psimbo's post was that there is no sense in planning for something that is not etched in stone yet. How many time does one see a post about things changing every 5 minutes in Thailand. Posts about how nothing ever stays the same in Thailand. So no that everything is up in the air, the best bet is to sit back, calculate your resources and wait until the time comes and then play your best hand.

Maybe expats should take a cue from the Thai people and stop the incessant worrying and planning. What shall be shall be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

No stress yet, coz I'm still working, my biggest problem when I retire is going to be showing the lump sum came from outside Thailand (all my money is earned here). Not exactly difficult to fix with an out-in transfer but still a bind.

I'll just continue to worry where it's all going. Something to do with being married to a wonderful Thai lady who does not do "cheap".

Do any?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the jist of Psimbo's post was that there is no sense in planning for something that is not etched in stone yet. How many time does one see a post about things changing every 5 minutes in Thailand. Posts about how nothing ever stays the same in Thailand. So no that everything is up in the air, the best bet is to sit back, calculate your resources and wait until the time comes and then play your best hand.

Maybe expats should take a cue from the Thai people and stop the incessant worrying and planning. What shall be shall be.
Police orders are more than rumors.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

People have different situations and different TIMING parameters for their next extension. It is very hard and sometimes IMPOSSIBLE to plan for a successful next extension as some of the new rules are so massively unclear. Both about what's needed and enforcement details. Most extremely for those that would like to do a combo application without embassy letter. 

No I think the most troubling area that needs clarification is what happens when your account is less than 400K. Are you on overstay?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Reasonably stressed (well, reasonably p*ssed off).  I have 18 months to go before my Elite visa expires and I'm in no mood to renew it.  I have a monthly income from overseas (50,000+ baht) that is quite adequate for my single needs.

I work a lot of my time as a volunteer, so do not have the financial means to save 800,000+ baht just to use for a visa.  I am not happy that the requirement for an annual visa is based solely upon a monetary figure (idem for the Elite visa...). Seems that 'giving back' to Thailand isn't relevant, no matter how many years or how much effort you've put in.

Not sure what I will do in 18 months.  I can do my volunteer work in Myanmar or Cambodia etc, without the need to drop $25,000 or so in the bank ????

Or you could sell your airport hotel in Phuket.  Is the Thai guy with the gun still renting it for free?

Edited by Corruption 101

A lot of the stress and confusion is flowing from the conflict of opinion posted by senior members like yourself.  For example, one member posted he had just done his extension then sent all of his 800K back off shore.  He was worried that he must now find 400K to top up his account prior to 1 March or face overstay, deporting and possible 5 year ban from Thailand.  You expressly stated that he had nothing to worry about.

Then I read some posts from another senior and well respected member Sheryl, she was faced with the exact same dilemma.  She had just done her extension and now though it prudent that she top up her account to ensure it had 400K in it before 1 March.

So when a senior member like Sheryl does not trust your advice. Why wouldn't their be fear, confusion and stress among us mere mortal members.

It's more a matter of the fact that we have no all knowing Gods here. People can explain the parts of rules that are clear but nobody can predict future enforcement experiences on very new stuff especially for all offices. So I suggest to people be as defensive as you can in this current new and confusing environment. For example currently combo applications without embassy letters are quite unclear so why not prepare for an 800k bank method application this time and be much more sure of acceptance?

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I agree that is very troubling and we do not know yet.

If you stop working on a Non B you are on overstay.  If you get divorced when you are on a Non O marriage you are on overstay.  

Can someone please explain to me, like I was a small child, or a golden retriever, why, if you fail to keep 400K in your account, that you will not be viewed as an overstay.

Edited by Corruption 101

If you stop working on a Non B you are on overstay.  If you get divorced when you are on a Non O marriage you are on overstay.  

Can someone please explain to me, like I was a small child, or a golden retriever, why, if you fail to keep 400K in your account, that you will not be viewed as an overstay.
Nobody can yet because nobody knows. There have been no public instructions from immigration as yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corruption 101 said:

As a fellow POTY Colin I think that you should be praising Jingthing for adding fresh topics to Thai Visa.  Given the announcement this morning, there can no longer be any discussion of politics here on this forum both now and FOREVER.  So what is left to generate click bait for the owners? Thai driving video clips?

That announcement just got nullified by the big guy.

I answered 1 , no stress, but what does a cucumber from Minnesota means ? I just don't get the connection.  

“ cool as a cucumber “.

I think JT just added Minnesota as it’s a cool state !, as in cold that is and not fashionable.

Spent a winter month in Owatonna one time and it was pretty chilly and not at all fashionable !!

• Like 1

The way I see it is.....you want to apply for a new or further  extension of stay then you must meet the criterion as published in the police order. there was NO mention of the combo method being changed only the 800k in the bank method. I think you are all stressing out because that is what you do about anything!!

Seems to be the accepted norm these days...black face...OMG...the end of the world is nigh!!!

Come on guys...we're mostly adults on this forum aren't we. Use some intelligence for once. It's not about good Thais Vs bad farangs. Its about dodgy people generally. They did it with visa runners, ED abusers, now dodgy retirement extensions and dodgy marriage extensions will most likely be next. Can hardly blame the Thai people for wanting to clean up their immigration procedures...Can you?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1