90 day report questions

Have a couple of questions about the 90 day report and also if I needed to do a change of address.

6 weeks ago I did my first renewal of the annual extension (retirement) to stay at CW. Then 2 weeks ago I moved to a different address, but still within Bangkok. Was I supposed to file a change of address? I know my current landlord didn't file a TM30.

In 2 weeks my first 90 day report is due. I have always left before 90 days so never needed to do one before. I'm leaving 3 days after my 90 day report is due and will return in 2 months. What are the consequences if I don't do the 90 day report and just leave? Will I get fined when I go for another extension or maybe when I need to do a 90 day before then?

Wondering if I should go to Vientiane next week for a couple of days to avoid any hassles about change of address, TM30, wasting a half day at CW, etc. 

You should of done a tm28 change of address and tm30 already. 

Its up to you to do the tm30. On a practical level for me it might depend on address your returning to after your 2 months away. If you just skipped it and as you suggest exit los before your 90 day report you could put your existing address on arrival card and sort out your change of address when you return from your 2 month trip. I believe there is a margin with the 90 report. Perhaps you would be OK to exit at 93. Experts will advise.

Yes a TM28 and TM30 should have been filed within 48/24 hours of arriving at new address.

90 day reports can be filed up to 15 days before and 7 days after due date.

On the 90 day report issue I believe no problem. The missed TM 30 may rear it's head though if their records show you skipped it.

Fine is about 1600-2000 baht, is that more than a trip to Vientiane?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JerseytoBKK said:

6 weeks ago I did my first renewal of the annual extension (retirement) to stay at CW. Then 2 weeks ago I moved to a different address, but still within Bangkok. Was I supposed to file a change of address? I know my current landlord didn't file a TM30.

CW do not usually enforce filing a change of address.

1 hour ago, JerseytoBKK said:

In 2 weeks my first 90 day report is due. I have always left before 90 days so never needed to do one before. I'm leaving 3 days after my 90 day report is due and will return in 2 months. What are the consequences if I don't do the 90 day report and just leave? Will I get fined when I go for another extension or maybe when I need to do a 90 day before then?

If you are leaving on day 93 there's no problem. You can leave within 97 days without reporting or consequence.

You cannot be fined unless you stay in the country longer than 97 days without reporting your address. When you leave on day 93 the need to report your address for the next 90 day period ends.

If you leave on day 93 you cannot be fined at anytime in the future.

CW do seem to be starting to enforce TM.30 reporting by private owners, so it's not a bad idea to get your new landlord to make a report when you return, or at the very least have one with you when you next extend your stay. The landlord could send the TM.30 by post, or try to get authorised to make online submissions.

Edited by elviajero

i've always understood you NEED do the report if you stay 90 days BUT they allow you 7 days to file the report after the 90 day due date

if you leave on day 93 you still need to have done the report before day 90

prehaps i have always assumed wrong.

I changed houses here in phuket, gave them the tm 28 an 30, they gave me back the 28

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phuketrichard said:

i've always understood you NEED do the report if you stay 90 days BUT they allow you 7 days to file the report after the 90 day due date

if you leave on day 93 you still need to have done the report before day 90

prehaps i have always assumed wrong.

I changed houses here in phuket, gave them the tm 28 an 30, they gave me back the 28

It's a common misunderstanding.

The reason for the report is to confirm your address for the next 90 days period. Day 91 is the first day - by law - that you are required to report. They then give you up to and including day 96 to make the report. A report is not late or overdue until on/after day 97 at which point they can fine you for late reporting.

When you leave the country the requirement to report ends. They do not need to know your address if you're leaving. And if you leave the country within 97 days they cannot fine you on exit, or at anytime in the future because you never reported late.

If you were to leave on or after day 97 without reporting there is a small chance they could fine you at the next report. But that's highly unlikely.

Thanks for the replies!

Only way IM would know I moved is if they called me to schedule a visit at my old address in the next 2 weeks. By not doing a 90 day it seems I remove the possibility of a fine for the TM30. Also don't need to trek to CW.

I knew there was a grace period before and after the report was due, but thought that by not doing the report I would get a small fine. 

When I return I'll have another new address so that will be on my arrival card. Will just need to make sure that the TM30 is filed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

When I return I'll have another new address so that will be on my arrival card. Will just need to make sure that the TM30 is filed.

The TM.6 arrival card is pretty meaningless in the address reporting scheme of things. It is a good idea these days to make sure your landlord has submitted a TM.30.

• Thanks 1