Retirement vs Marriage vs Non O

I got my 1 year extension of my Non-immigrant O-A visa last November. I bank 800,000 baht all year. I did the extension myself and it was pretty easy. This also conforms to the new rules. It really depends on if you can afford to do it this way and not worry about it. Many people don’t have the money or are concerned about interest rate issues. It up to you.

Why this is even a topic and hard to understand?

1. Income less than 40K, go with Non-O from a neighboring country without any financials.

2. Income 40K and up and no 400K savings or unwilling to put in a low rate Thai bank, go with a income method of 40K/month

3. Have 400K savings, put it in the bank and forget about it. 

People have different fantasies and they can always mix and match what they want.

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

1. Income less than 40K, go with Non-O from a neighboring country without any financials.

2. Income 40K and up and no 400K savings or unwilling to put in a low rate Thai bank, go with a income method of 40K/month

People have different fantasies and they can always mix and match what they want.

As I understand it, I can qualify for any of the three visas. I am trying to understand the advantages and disadvantages of each. I know the disadvantage of the non-o is that  I have to exit the country every 90 days. Not sure what the disadvantages and disadvantages of retirement and marriage visas are, not whether or not I can qualify for them.

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Until people like you come along and draw attention to it!

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Darn predictive text.

I wrote elite visa but it came out deliveries then before I could change it my battery conked out.

I looked at the elite visa, but unless I were going in and out of the county a lot I just don't see the advantages, at least at my level of income. I can spend a day a year getting a visa to save that kind of dough. Getting the Non-O was cake at the Los Angeles Embassy. Same day service and only about 12 miles from LAX.

The 400/800K (while annoying) is still "money in the bank" that is good to have in the event of an emergency.

12 hours ago, onera1961 said:

The problem with #2 and #3 is that your local office may add "extra requirements" which make it difficult or impossible, even you you meet the financials and other "published" requirements.

The problem with #1, is having to make border-runs like a backpacker, and never knowing when its availability may end. 

But, given the state of flux of extension-requirements and a clear agenda to clear us out, there really isn't a "sure" way to know you can stay here beyond whatever "permitted-stay" is in your passport at the moment. 

And maybe not even that, if you violate the new "don't touch your own money" requirements for "money in the bank" based retirement-extensions (no announcements on if your extension is immediately invalidated or not).

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The problem with #2 and #3 is that your local office may add "extra requirements" which make it difficult or impossible, even you you meet the financials and other "published" requirements.

The problem with #1, is having to make border-runs like a backpacker, and never knowing when its availability may end. 

But, given the state of flux of extension-requirements and a clear agenda to clear us out, there really isn't a "sure" way to know you can stay here beyond whatever "permitted-stay" is in your passport at the moment. 

And maybe not even that, if you violate the new "don't touch your own money" requirements for "money in the bank" based retirement-extensions (no announcements on if your extension is immediately invalidated or not).

I am in Bangkok, so would use the CW office, any issues with them?

For my last "border run" I used Thai Airways miles for a flight to KL. Left in the morning back that night, spent the day in the TG lounge...not too bad, but I would rather not if I can get away from it. I thought I could just go to CW and take care of it but apparently not.

• Confused 1

I've found the marriage extension easy to deal with in Bangkok. Other than the pictures and my wife's set of ID I think it's the same pantload.

Even if you're rolling in dosh, might be nicer to only need to have 400k banked.

If I wasn't working I'd go bring my bank book to Savanakhet and just get a visa annually. Especially if not living in BKK

Edited by Number 6

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I've found the marriage extension easy to deal with in Bangkok. Other than the pictures and my wife's set of ID I think it's the same pantload.

Even if you're rolling in dosh, might be nicer to only need to have 400k banked.

If I wasn't working I'd go bring my bank book to Savanakhet and just get a visa annually. Especially if not living in BKK

Assuming I have everything in order and the account funded, is the reporting and coming in and out of the county any easier between them?

When I was working the staff took care of it, so I'm new to all this. 

In addition to what's already been mentioned above there is the age cut -off differentiator, meaning that if you're below 50 years of age the bank requirement is 400K under a Non O annual extension. This also allows you to work in Thailand subject to work permit. However, if you don't need to work and you're 50+ years old then the retirement extension is easy subject to meeting the banked money requirement. I've been on Non B annual extensions, Non O marriage annual extensions, and more recently retirement annual extension. The retirement annual extension was by far the easiest in terms of documents required. I will likely return to the work force soon (requiring regular overseas travel) so I will likely cancel the retirement extension and then get a Non O ME from HCM as it's easier than any of the annual extensions if you're still working and travelling regularly.

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I know the disadvantage of the non-o is that  I have to exit the country every 90 days.

I don't find that a disadvantage, it's good to get out of Thailand every now and again. Alternative is 90 day reporting, which if based on marriage involves a lot of nosey questions and posing for photos. Hopping down to Singapore for a weekend is, I find, a far more pleasant option.

17 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I don't find that a disadvantage, it's good to get out of Thailand every now and again. Alternative is 90 day reporting, which if based on marriage involves a lot of nosey questions and posing for photos. Hopping down to Singapore for a weekend is, I find, a far more pleasant option.

Well, I'd rather spend a few hours at immigration than a weekend in Singapore, so there you go.

• Sad 1