Cost of living in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai among the highest in ASEAN

rooster59

All i know is that ten years ago we could fill our trolley in Tesco or Big C for 1k; these days the same stuff is going in the trolley and it's 3k.

Normal 'Inflation' some will cry, but who's Pension's go up as fast as that and certainly Thai Wages haven't, so how can the rich in this country justify how they rip off the masses in every way they can ?   Seems to me that corruption drives the whole economy one way and another and the so called 'Middle Class' here are all on the take in Government jobs with brown uniforms emblazoned with Medal Ribbons awarded for who steals the most !

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Let's get back to original stats from Numbeo.

Yes, this is around how much I spend (probably close to 30k) on average by myself, but I rarely cook and eat Western food most of the time. Don't smoke, drink or party.

However, having a family of 4 does not somehow quadruple the average to over 80k a month. Your costs should go down significantly with each family member.

Allowance for a wife and family who refuse to work should not be taken into consideration. 

Private school and private healthcare should also not be calculated. These are Western luxuries that are unaffordable to most in Thailand. I have a friend who married a Thai. She went to public schools all her life and only in her post grad her parents paid a private school in Bangkok. She is in her mid 40s now and gets paid close to 200,000 baht a month working for a Thai company. There is absolutely no need to drop such huge amounts of money on private schools that are mostly taught by inept Westerners or worse.

The 200k++ amounts disclosed here should not reflect the average Thailand. This is the life (and Thai family) you chose for yourself.

"Private schools and private healthcare should not be calculated.."|

How utterly bizarre-unless you want to die in a ward of 80 people (designed for 40) with a perfectly treatable infection-in a Western country.

Quit with the lies everybody...

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Hmm.

My wife allowance: 0B (no wife)

Health insurance and deductibles: 0B (I dont work)

Electricity/water in my condo with the aircon on 24/7: under 2kB

Police: 0B

School: 0B

Car/fuel probably less than you, though I have never bothered to calculate it: maybe 5kB

Gardener: 0B

Internet: under 1kB

So that's 8kB compared to your 81kB, plus I get free peace and quiet thrown in. I'm rather glad I dont live in an Isaan house with a Thai family of 4.

You don't get a family of 4 in issan.you get a village or two.

4 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Bottom line is for a normal middle class life I'll need 200k, since we are still improving the house I am still denting my savings. and I have given up on the pool.

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand how people manage to live (with a good standard of food, education, home, health insurance etc.) here in Thailand on less than 200k a month for an entire family.

I understand how it's possible to survive on much less of course. But the quality would be so low that at least I wouldn't live in Thailand then.

Priorities are different from one person to another, one's age is also an important factor.

After 15+ years in Pattaya, I decided, being 70, to live in Thonglor ( not the cheapest area of Bangkok ).

I like also to eat Camembert, Brie, Reblochon, or any other French cheese, or/and Serrano, Parma, Black Forest, ham in the morning with my baguette.

Having a beer ( a few in fact ) in a nice air conditioned place, stylish service, soft Jazz music in the background is also  among my actual desiderata. 

Not the cheapest choices, but my decision and my money. 

44 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Let's get back to original stats from Numbeo.

Yes, this is around how much I spend (probably close to 30k) on average by myself, but I rarely cook and eat Western food most of the time. Don't smoke, drink or party.

However, having a family of 4 does not somehow quadruple the average to over 80k a month. Your costs should go down significantly with each family member.

Allowance for a wife and family who refuse to work should not be taken into consideration. 

Private school and private healthcare should also not be calculated. These are Western luxuries that are unaffordable to most in Thailand. I have a friend who married a Thai. She went to public schools all her life and only in her post grad her parents paid a private school in Bangkok. She is in her mid 40s now and gets paid close to 200,000 baht a month working for a Thai company. There is absolutely no need to drop such huge amounts of money on private schools that are mostly taught by inept Westerners or worse.

The 200k++ amounts disclosed here should not reflect the average Thailand. This is the life (and Thai family) you chose for yourself.

Do you mind if I ask, what job she works for that kind of income. 

regards

27 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

All i know is that ten years ago we could fill our trolley in Tesco or Big C for 1k; these days the same stuff is going in the trolley and it's 3k.

Supermarket shopping is a 'luxury' experience in Thailand.

Most people buy from local markets, with only one or two items purchased in supermarkets.

It would be madness to 'fill your trolley' in any one supermarket in Thailand unless you were too wealthy to care.

I buy cheese, orange juice and liver pate in Rimping, SangSom Rum, Soda water, chicken breasts and pork steaks in Tesco, toilet rolls, frozen chips and pasta in Makro.

6 hours ago, kannot said:

even more hilarious

It seems about right: I have a family of 4: Food's about 800/Day so 24k for the month. Add in 1/2 restaurant (nothing fancy - somtam shacks basically) and food for the month is easily 30k. Now kids also need things like clothes and nappies (for my smallest one). Then there are school fees: A local bilingual school won't be less than 10k a month. For my family including rent/car/utilities etc we spend about 100k per month. We don't live an expat life. We live in the suburbs surrounded by middle class Thais who spend the same if not more.

4 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"Many of the destinations popular with expats and foreign retirees to Thailand are some of the most expensive cities to live in ASEAN."

And best of all, retirees get to deposit into a Thai bank 800,000 baht, which does not accrue interest, for the privilege of living among people who love and appreciate how much they contribute to the local economy.  

Get you facts straight the going interest rate is around 1.5 percent for the deposit not much but better than you false 0 percent

20 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Still confused.  You are "retired" in Thailand but the "state" pays for your healthcare.  So because you worked for state government (in the U.S.?)  the BCBS "for its employees" is still available to you when no longer employed?  This is paid by the current state taxpayers? Or is it a labor union?  

Worked for private companies - have no knowledge of government employees benefits after retirement

The state retirement systems provides health insurance for retirees, with the premium depending on when you entered employment and how many years you worked and whether under 65 (at 65 you have to sign up for Medicare B to be eligible for a different, but free, health plan that includes a Medicare Advantage plan plus fitness program, etc. While under 65, that insurance is whatever plan the state provides as a group plan for it's employees. For my plan (but not all state plans) you do have to pay a premium. Also the benefits are less generous for those who enter later and those who opted for 403 type plans don't get any benefits. The pay sucked while working, much lower than in private businesses and raises minimal, but in the end glad I stuck with it. In my state employees in government agencies, including universities, effectively cannot unionize since state institutions don't have to recognize bargaining entities. That's one of the main draws that working for the state had, these days they are cutting such and people have less incentive to work for the state or a state institution of learning.

I have lived in various cities in Asia.. including SIngapore, Zhuhai, Kl and Bangkok.. i do not believe Chaing mai is so high.. i am relocating there next month because life style is great and cost of living is so low.. air quality is better than BK and much less traffic.. housing is about 2-3 times less than Bangkok and less than Phuket. 

Numbeo calculates costs of single items from information supplied by their contributors. They don't ask for an individual's total budget, only how much he pays for a coke, a burger, a taxi or rent, etc.

The cost of living is calculated using this data weighed against the average wage of that place. On that basis Phuket is more expensive than Perth, where I came from.

I wouldn't be here trying to scrape by on an average Thai wage, but, as my funds are based on the average Australian wage, the COL is very cheap here for me.  

Just now, TrevorS said:

I have lived in various cities in Asia.. including SIngapore, Zhuhai, Kl and Bangkok.. i do not believe Chaing mai is so high.. i am relocating there next month because life style is great and cost of living is so low.. air quality is better than BK and much less traffic.. housing is about 2-3 times less than Bangkok and less than Phuket. 

I hope you mean outside of Chiang Mai somewhere like Mae Rim or similar. Inside Chiang Mai are so many loud Chinese tourists and the traffic isn't much to celebrate either. One of the last places I'd want to live in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, Stanley78 said:

I hope you mean outside of Chiang Mai somewhere like Mae Rim or similar. Inside Chiang Mai are so many loud Chinese tourists and the traffic isn't much to celebrate either. One of the last places I'd want to live in Thailand.

And during burning season the air quality is absolutely horrible and you have to escape to some island. 

I'm meeting a lot of people lately that are looking very worried about their situation in Thailand, it's not cheap anymore, not all that fun anymore, and personally i think a lot of the birds should knock off on the ugly pills..... As for the powers that be, i just hope and pray that a rogue meteorite lands on the PMs desk while he's chatting to "Paypal".........

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Ah Bangkok:

There are days when I eat on the street at 40 baht, and days when I dine in Chez Tres Chic at 1000.

There are 800 baht excursions to Kasalong, and 6000 baht excursions to Mixx.

There are 70 baht beers in front of 7-11, and 170 baht beers in Oscars...

All up to you

Some stuff here seems a bit hi-so for a Millwall fan.....

5 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I have lived in Bangkok for the last 20 years - I could not survive on 21k. Or perhaps to rephrase that - I could not live a life I would like in Bangkok on that. Its become very expensive and thats why I am planning to relocate now.

What you are saying just confirms most people´s view, it entirely depends on how one lives and how one wishes to live. There is no doubt that the cost of living has been increasing in Thailand, as in most other countries in Asia, over the last 10 years. The high value of the Baht, doesn't help. Having said this, I think I'll be right in saying that all three locations mentioned are most certainly not more expensive than most livable locations in South East Asia.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...The website said the monthly costs for a single person to live in Bangkok was 21,017.40฿ without rent..."

21,017 a month WITHOUT rent? What the hell do people do in Bangkok that is so expensive?

I live on Koh Samui, modestly but comfortably, for around that much including rent.

PS To be fair, I neither smoke nor drink; those are two of the more expensive habits...

Smoking (cigarettes) is not expensive actually, eating, drinking and transport, is where the money goes, throw some kids into the mix and watch the bills rocket. Thailand could do with a currency devaluation in my opinion. 

Say! Don't forget your 90 day runs to some border, unless you have a better visa, where it is once per year to get things done. All the family ailments that you get asked out to help with costs. Gold is not cheap as well, if you have a wife. I am just listing some additional costs that can arise. Money in the bank incase you get sick and need hospital stay, which is not cheap...

Geezer.

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

"Private schools and private healthcare should not be calculated.."|

How utterly bizarre-unless you want to die in a ward of 80 people (designed for 40) with a perfectly treatable infection-in a Western country.

Quit with the lies everybody...

What is bizarre is your reply.

Who dies with a treatable infection in Thailand? Thais (and most westerners with a brain) won't go to Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospital to treat an infection. 

You seem to be under some grand delusion that Numbeo survey should cater to Westerners who support their Isaan wives. Newsflash. Nobody cares about your situation and how much you spend.

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

Exactly. I also take a short cut on the laundry bills by just occasionally dabbing the egg stains off my singlet. A decent lifestyle; perish the thought

Just get an egg coloured singlet ...

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

So far this post makes me feel like a winner in comparison to others, an unusual feeling when reading TV.

I have never fancied living in Bangkok, the only place which has tempted me away from Kanchanaburi is Hua Hin.

I feel like I live for free when looking at others costs.

Rent 0 Baht (2 years ago my g/f and I built a house on her land 50% paid each, total about 1M Baht so no rent)

Internet 750 Baht

Electric and water 1400 Baht (for 2 houses 1 running AC - her family live next door)

Car insurance 350 Baht paid annually 

Gas 1k Baht (car is shared with her brothers business so he pays the lions share and 50% of the insurance)

Car payments 0 Baht - her brother won the lottery about a year ago and bought it (in her name) in cash.

Telephones (2) 300 Baht

Going out to eat or drink - not an option as the nearest 7/11 is an hour from me and the nearest western food is 3 hours. We cook every meal from local market produce.

We live and eat well - nowhere sells gin or wine so beer it is we have a choice of 2 (Chang or Leo)

We go a holiday at least once every 2 months to somewhere new.. This can be pricy but worth it. We also take a 5 hour round trip to the city (Kanchanaburi) to stock up from Makro and BigC when we need to.

The only other major expense I have is my personal health insurance from HCI in the UK about 40k Baht per annum. Easily my single biggest expense now, and getting dearer soon.

Wife allowance made me laugh. If I give my g/f some cash she puts it in the bank! We keep a tin with about 3k in it and use it as needed. It lasts about a month.

If like me you are 'over' the partying stage in life, had enough of long immigration lines, soi dogs, inflated prices for everything, not to mention traffic and pollution, then I heartily recommend the quieter Thai lifestyle.

NO WINE <deleted>????   Fate worse than death.....

19 minutes ago, blazes said:

Some stuff here seems a bit hi-so for a Millwall fan.....

I'm in the intercontinental having Sunday Brunch with Foi Gras for a cost of over 2000baht. Eat your hearts out you filthy peasants. Ban Noks all of you. I think I'll have some caviar now.

PS: I have some ziplock bags in my pack,got to get me some beef and sushi for the ride....

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The website said the monthly costs for a single person to live in Bangkok was 21,017.40฿ without rent.

And yet Thai Immigrations feels justified asking retirees (who probably don't have kids in school) to transfer in B65,000 each and every month?

A recent post even mentioned that a Buriram IO requires the retiree to import and spend the B65,000 each month...

Archived