PM shrugs off calls to join TV debate

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, nong38 said:

He is not a debater and would be easily seen as inadequate. He does not listen, he just tells you things, then don't reply just nod, you know like a donkey. That's the real world in military thinking.

Thanks, I feel that perfectly sums up Prayut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

That would depend on where you stood on the social ladder. All are not equal.

Being a farang /alien ,  i am  not on the social ladder in Thailand , and never will be.

Edited by elliss

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I’m trying to imagine my Thai boss in a debate. She just barks inane orders at the Thai staff who never oppose or ask for clarification. And when the foreigners do, she either says they never understand or she storms off mumbling to herself. I dread to think what she’d do if she had an army and 44 behind her. 

Yes, I had a Thai boss who my predecessor described as 'a megalomaniac'.

The boss would change his mind regularly, call staff meetings where we only heard him speak, as he loved the sound of his own voice.

He constantly refined my role as Business Manager, often in the middle of ongoing projects.

The only upside to it was that he loved drinking beer. Every Friday afternoon twenty-odd staff would go to different Thai-buffet locations, with free food and as much beer as we could drink, all on expenses.

14 hours ago, Eligius said:

Can you imagine the debate? I can. It might go something like this:

Opponent: Sir, can you justify the suppression of universally recognised human and civil rights at the hands of a military junta that lacks any internationally recognised raison d'etre?

P. : What do you want? Do you want a bad man  to return to Thailand and cause trouble again? Do you want chaos?  Do you want Thailand to lose its freedom, world respect and record number of grateful tourists? Do you have no respect for your betters?  Do you want a punch in the face ...?!!!!!'

I hope you weren't aiming for any chuckles among the readership. The above is exactly what would happen.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I’m trying to imagine my Thai boss in a debate. She just barks inane orders at the Thai staff who never oppose or ask for clarification. And when the foreigners do, she either says they never understand or she storms off mumbling to herself. I dread to think what she’d do if she had an army and 44 behind her. 

So in other words, 'I know deep down I am unfit to hold this position, and am terrified of being found out.' Yes, apt indeed...

• Like 1