Buying Land

I live in a house with a 30 year lease. The land is in my ex-wifes name. She would have me out now if she could. I have since remarried and have a one year old daughter ( mine) Me wife worries that when I'm dead, my ex will have her out.

With this in mind, I have been toying with the idea of buying a piece of land with the view of building a house.

My wife has been out talking with the locals,and came up with a suitable plot of half a rai. The land is situated about 6 km from Naklua ( Pattaya ) near the railway, opposite side of Sukumvit rd. It is in a nice quiet soi, with mostly nice quality houses nearby. The land is walled on two sides, water and electric are convenient.

The asking price is 500k. I haven't a clue whether this is a good price, and haven't even spoken to the seller yet.

How should I go about it all ? should I make a knock down offer ? Is there a ' rule of thumb ' involved here ?

Any advise appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In response to the first part of your post- why not offer the ex some cash in exchange to transfer the property over to your current wife's name.

Second- have you checked out other properties in the area to get a general feeling for the land prices in that area?

Edited by jakesideas

In response to the first part of your post- why not offer the ex some cash in exchange to transfer the property over to your current wife's name.

Second- have you checked out other properties in the area to get a general feeling for the land prices in that area?

The whereabouts of my ex are unknown. She returned to England years ago. I divorced her in her absence, but i'm sure she has her spies, who will be keeping her informed. Besides this, she is so bloodymonded, I know she would ask a price far too much.

Yes, I am looking at other land, but want something in my immediate vicinity.

Should I make an offer, and without insulting the seller, what figure would be a starter ?

Whatever you offer... if they are good at selling... they will act insulted- plus who cares if they are insulted- if they want to sell the land they will make a counter offer and there you go. However I think you need to really find out what a good price for land in that area is because you don't want to find out after that land in the area is cheaper around the corner. Why not speak with the neighbors and see what they paid for their land- even if it was a few years ago it will give you a general idea.

I am sure your ex would be happy to receive a check in the mail for 1000 pounds instead of having land that she can't use for 30 years- too bad you can't find her.

Sorry for being off-topic but how did you manage to get divorced in her absence?????????

BB

After we split, she tried to get me out of the house, but due to the lease, could not.

However, she took my car in the night, while I slept. unfortunately, it was in her name, so that was that. She said she would never divorce me and then went missing. Later I heard she was in the UK. My lawyer said, if we were apart for a year, I could dicorce her. this was registered in the court, and after one year, my lawyer and I went to Chonburi court, before 3 judges. 10 minutes, it was all done and dusted. I asked about the car, they just smiled.

Sorry for being off-topic but how did you manage to get divorced in her absence?????????

BB

After we split, she tried to get me out of the house, but due to the lease, could not.

However, she took my car in the night, while I slept. unfortunately, it was in her name, so that was that. She said she would never divorce me and then went missing. Later I heard she was in the UK. My lawyer said, if we were apart for a year, I could dicorce her. this was registered in the court, and after one year, my lawyer and I went to Chonburi court, before 3 judges. 10 minutes, it was all done and dusted. I asked about the car, they just smiled.

ok thanks for that, useful to know.

BB

Whatever you offer... if they are good at selling... they will act insulted- plus who cares if they are insulted- if they want to sell the land they will make a counter offer and there you go. However I think you need to really find out what a good price for land in that area is because you don't want to find out after that land in the area is cheaper around the corner. Why not speak with the neighbors and see what they paid for their land- even if it was a few years ago it will give you a general idea.

I am sure your ex would be happy to receive a check in the mail for 1000 pounds instead of having land that she can't use for 30 years- too bad you can't find her.

Easier said than done. She is in the uk. She would have to return to sign the paperwork. She would more likely want a million baht.

The lease is transfereable and renewable for another 30 years. I have made a will leaving the lease to wife. I may even transfer it before.

> The asking price is 500k. I haven't a clue whether this is a good price,

Sounds very fair to me. That's 1 million per rai, but keep in mind that nice, smaller plots with good road access are often more expensive. I'd go for it. See if there's discount to be had of course, but I think your wife did a good job sourcing this!

> The asking price is 500k. I haven't a clue whether this is a good price,

Sounds very fair to me. That's 1 million per rai, but keep in mind that nice, smaller plots with good road access are often more expensive. I'd go for it. See if there's discount to be had of course, but I think your wife did a good job sourcing this!

Thanks for that. you have inspired me. I'll make an offer tomorrow, but I too think it seems a fair price.