Embassy Won't Issue Income Certification - How To Do?

so i went to my embassy with my letter of employment (and 50% ownership of foreign company) as well as my income proof of bank statements up to 3 years back in thailand, showing way over the required 40,000 every month. however, the embassy said they understand the new requirements from the thai immigration, but they cannot by law issue certificates on employment or bank statements, they can only verify pension income and i should go to immigration just with the employment letter and bank statements.

has anyone ever heard of this? do you think immigration will accept the renewal of marriage visa without the embassy letter :o

just called both again several times..

thai immigration says: you have to show a letter from the embassy confirming the income. otherwise no extension.

my embassy says: we cannot write an income confirmation letter. we can only write a letter confirming your pension (i'm 24, no pension). you can have thai immigration call us and we will confirm to them that we're not allowed to issue income confirmation letters.

thai immigration says: we will not call the embassy. they need to issue a letter confirming the income or you cannot extend your visa.

this is ridiculous :o

swiss embassy (my citizenship). just had a phone call with them again and they won't issue anything except for pension.

had another phone call with immigration and they said, in their own words "sorry you need to wait to be 50 years old" or "your wife can make a food shop and pay tax for 40,000 baht".

they didn't say "make a business" or something, they actually said "food shop". my wife is studying every day in the university and won't finish for another year, so that's not even an option.

swiss embassy (my citizenship). just had a phone call with them again and they won't issue anything except for pension.

had another phone call with immigration and they said, in their own words "sorry you need to wait to be 50 years old" or "your wife can make a food shop and pay tax for 40,000 baht".

they didn't say "make a business" or something, they actually said "food shop". my wife is studying every day in the university and won't finish for another year, so that's not even an option.

Rainman

Well, give this a try, can't take more than an hour to two and just might work.  Wander on down Wireless Road to the U.S. Embassy, the section on the left  hand side.  Enter without worrying about the queue for visa applicants, tell the guards that you're going to ACS, American Citizen Services section.  Go though then bend to your right and wait for an opening at the window.

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/judicial/judicial_2086.html

"DO U.S. EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES PROVIDE NOTARIAL AND AUTHENTICATION SERVICES FOR NON-U.S. CITIZENS? Yes. 22 C.F.R. 92.4(:o provides that these services may be performed for any person regardless of nationality so long as the document in connection with which the notarial/authentication service is required is for use within the jurisdiction of the United States."

I do see where this is applicable to documents to be used in U.S. related functions, or some such thing.  However I also remember up in Udorn when we had a Consulate there that some foreigners wanting to get married locally came in for an "embassy" statement that they were eligible to do so, and they got it

from the U.S. Consulate.

Be interesting if it really does work.  

Mac

Rainman

Well, give this a try, can't take more than an hour to two and just might work. Wander on down Wireless Road to the U.S. Embassy, the section on the left hand side. Enter without worrying about the queue for visa applicants, tell the guards that you're going to ACS, American Citizen Services section. Go though then bend to your right and wait for an opening at the window.

"DO U.S. EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES PROVIDE NOTARIAL AND AUTHENTICATION SERVICES FOR NON-U.S. CITIZENS? Yes. 22 C.F.R. 92.4(:o provides that these services may be performed for any person regardless of nationality so long as the document in connection with which the notarial/authentication service is required is for use within the jurisdiction of the United States."

I do see where this is applicable to documents to be used in U.S. related functions, or some such thing. However I also remember up in Udorn when we had a Consulate there that some foreigners wanting to get married locally came in for an "embassy" statement that they were eligible to do so, and they got it

from the U.S. Consulate.

Mac

that's interesting, i might just give that a try tomorrow.

you knoq, i am receiving 100k baht every month since 3 years into thailand and i have every single wire transfer confirmation from bangkok bank showing the overseas company and account number where it came from, with the matching bank books, but that immigration won't accept that without an embassy letter confirming that.

rainman, years ago I have been in a similar situation and the Swiss Consulate in HKG (where I lived at that time) accepted that I typed the statement as required and signed by myself. They than certified my SIGNATURE to be true and correct.

Just an idea.

rainman, years ago I have been in a similar situation and the Swiss Consulate in HKG (where I lived at that time) accepted that I typed the statement as required and signed by myself. They than certified my SIGNATURE to be true and correct.

Just an idea.

that's what the swiss embassy told me they could do. if i get the letter from my employer translated into thai, they can certify the translation, but they will write that they are not responsible for the contents of the letter. do you think that immigration will accept that?

I would try Axel suggestion as first choice - all immigration needs is a paper that had had your signature notarized by your Embassy.

Immigration has provided an option in the form of spouse employment proof. An old standby is lottery ticket seller and food shop would be another and if she had tax payment history I suspect immigration would be satisfied.

Just an idea.

that's what the swiss embassy told me they could do. if i get the letter from my employer translated into thai, they can certify the translation, but they will write that they are not responsible for the contents of the letter. do you think that immigration will accept that?

I had the same problem with the UK Embassy in Tokyo.

I asked them for a pension letter (at the time) and they said : cannot do

I said UK Embassy in bangkok does why can't you ?

They suggested an (AFFIDAVIT)

You write a paper detailing your income, your sdress, passport number, etc and the Embassy then puts its stamp at the bottom saying they verified that you have said the writing under oath togetehr with a great looking red stamp.

As this paper was 'from the Embassy' Thai Immigration accepted it.

Maybe the Swiss Embassy can do you an AFIDAVIT also ?

Good luck

Edited by Krub

Just an idea.

That's all you would get from the US Embassy as well. They do not require any back-up documents, they just notarize your signature on document were you certify your income.

Sounds like you are sorted.

TH

Edited by thaihome

swiss citizen having his income certified by the US embassy?????????? maybe i'm missing something here unless rainman works for a US company. and then we get into double taxation issues and on and on. maybe even triple taxation issues.

lets see how this one plays out.

...your old "400,000" visa should be grandfathered.

Also remember that once you change from 400k in the bank to 40k monthly income you cannot in the future go back to the 400k in the bank. You lose your “grandfather” status.

You are young, may do well in business and want to retire, i.e. stop working, at 40. Too young for the retirement extension. No other options available, at least not as the regulations stand today.

Another thing: based on past experience, the “grandfathered” financial requirements remain unchanged even as they are increased for new applicants.

--

Maestro

on one hand ur saying ur receive 100,000 baht plus in monthly wire transfers from ur home country. and then ur saying that u get well over 40k in monthly income.

now, 40k in monthly income is taxable income earned in thailand. then ur saying that u have a work permit, which should obviously earn u a salary well in that range.

u sure have me confused.

Edited by oooooo

...your old "400,000" visa should be grandfathered.

Also remember that once you change from 400k in the bank to 40k monthly income you cannot in the future go back to the 400k in the bank. You lose your “grandfather” status.

You are young, may do well in business and want to retire, i.e. stop working, at 40. Too young for the retirement extension. No other options available, at least not as the regulations stand today.

Another thing: based on past experience, the “grandfathered” financial requirements remain unchanged even as they are increased for new applicants.

--

Maestro

I think I have read a thread where Sunbelt stated, that you do not lose your "grandfather status" by changing between income and bank balance, as long as you are still extending on the basis of being married to a Thai. I.e. you would be able to revert to savings again later on.

I could very well be mistaken though, it happens quite frequently.

Sphon

Rainman

Well, give this a try, can't take more than an hour to two and just might work. Wander on down Wireless Road to the U.S. Embassy, the section on the left hand side. Enter without worrying about the queue for visa applicants, tell the guards that you're going to ACS, American Citizen Services section. Go though then bend to your right and wait for an opening at the window.

I do see where this is applicable to documents to be used in U.S. related functions, or some such thing. However I also remember up in Udorn when we had a Consulate there that some foreigners wanting to get married locally came in for an "embassy" statement that they were eligible to do so, and they got it

from the U.S. Consulate.

Mac

.........." is required is for use within the jurisdiction of the United States "

Rainman

from the U.S. Consulate.

Mac

.........." is required is for use within the jurisdiction of the United States "

you are pinpoint dr_Pat_Pong. good quarter backing.

The US embassy notarizing income for foreign citizens? LOL, come on give me a break. All countries have their own embassies to perform these services. I'm sure they will tell rainman this

Point of clarification here.

The US Embassy does not notarize income. They notarize your signature (meaning it is really you and you have affirmed that the statement is true). They make no attempt to verify your income, which is why immigration requires further back-up. It sounds like the Swiss Embassy does essentially the same thing.

Also, the US Embassy has no problem notarizing a statement for a foreign national. This I know for a fact as I have gone with non US friends to embassy to have a statement notarized. It does have to be for use in the US.

TH

Hi rainman,

I don't understand why you have to go the new way with the 40.000 income, since you are on a renewal your old "400,000" visa should be grandfathered.

Uwe

because i don't have 400k in a thai bank right now, it's that easy. i'd have 400k in the bank about 4-6 weeks after my renewal is due, but that's too late then unfortunately.

on one hand ur saying ur receive 100,000 baht plus in monthly wire transfers from ur home country. and then ur saying that u get well over 40k in monthly income.

now, 40k in monthly income is taxable income earned in thailand. then ur saying that u have a work permit, which should obviously earn u a salary well in that range.

u sure have me confused.

that's right, i receive around 100k per month into thailand from overseas. and when i said i earn well over the 40k baht, i meant exactly that. i don't usually disclose my exact income on a public forum, but its just a ridiculous statement from thai immigration to deny me a visa renewal only because of a missing embassy paper and even though bangkok bank, which is a thai bank and should be accepted by thai immigration, shows overseas transfers on a regular basis ...they even show which company name, account number and city/country overseas it came from!

while the embassy will not issue an employment/salary confirmation, they will issue an approval that the employment/salary confirmation letter has been correctly translated into thai, but they are not responsible for the contents. i hope that's enough for thai immigration.

I think I have read a thread where Sunbelt stated, that you do not lose your "grandfather status" by changing between income and bank balance, as long as you are still extending on the basis of being married to a Thai. I.e. you would be able to revert to savings again later on.

I could very well be mistaken though, it happens quite frequently.

Sphon

that's very interesting, i haven't been aware of that. i would certainly appreciate it if sunbelt could approve/deny that statement :o

--

Maestro

i guess that's true. but i'm 24 and i've lived in 6 countries over the past umm ...12 years? chances are i won't be in thailand by the time i'm 40, probably not even by the time i'm 30 :o

--

Maestro

i guess that's true. but i'm 24 and i've lived in 6 countries over the past umm ...12 years? chances are i won't be in thailand by the time i'm 40, probably not even by the time i'm 30 :o

I thought Sunbelt had a way of getting the money to you for a short time to assist you in your visa renewal!  Talk to them about it.

Badbanker

I thought Sunbelt had a way of getting the money to you for a short time to assist you in your visa renewal! Talk to them about it.

Badbanker

Never seen that one before. But I don't like "borrowing" money and I can show more than is required by Immigration anyways, so it should be fine.

Right now, I'm trying to call Immigration since almost an hour to get the final word from them on the documents they need, but they won't pick up at 0-2287-3101, which is listed on http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=phone

:o

Went to the embassy today. They simply certified the translation of the letter, hope that's all Immigration needs. First the translation office (on their letter head) translated the income/employment confirmation and then the embassy certified it, but of course like they said, not taking responsibility for the contents.

Will go to Immigration on Tuesday and see how it goes :o Just in case, I got the wire transfer statements from Bangkok Bank (showing they do indeed come from overseas) for the last 6 months.

Will let you all know how it went :D