Income Affidavit Problem for Americans and possible solutions

Hello,

I pretty much know the answer to this, I am going to have to hire an immigration attorney.  Which is what I was trying to avoid, because its going to cost me too much. 

But my question is fairly simple, the US embassy isn't providing income affidavits anymore.  I'm a 90% VA disabled veteran and this is how I get my money.  This translates to just over 62,000 baht per month.  My fiance and I live in Esan so this is a good income.

I am getting married this summer and I will be switching out my usual routine 30 day visa-exempt for an "O" visa, to stay with her in Udon Thani.  So I mean, I'm a little freaked out about the no more income affidavits thing anymore.   What I could get is my VA award letter showing my income.  I wonder, is there some way I could get this notorised and processed through foreign affairs or whatever, so I can prove my income to the kingdom?

I knew this thing would be a huge headache.  Immigration.  Its so frustrating when you're in love and you just want to be together.

Jorge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

I am going to have to hire an immigration attorney.  Which is what I was trying to avoid, because its going to cost me too much. 

Not necessary.

5 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

What I could get is my VA award letter showing my income.  I wonder, is there some way I could get this notorised and processed through foreign affairs or whatever, so I can prove my income to the kingdom?

You can’t use that to prove your income. 

You should start transferring at least 40K baht every month to a Thai bank account in your sole name.

Once you’re married and have the non ‘O’ visa you’ll be able to apply for a 1 year extension using the monthly transfers as proof of your income.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Well, it looks like due to the American Consulates failure to verify simple US bank statements for expats living in Thailand, there is no sensible solution.  Having money transferred from the US to a Thai bank monthly is costly and idiotic.  Thank's consulate staff, you are a great group ????

I disagree that the US Consulate has the responsibility of certifying personal citizen retirement income. I also question the wisdom of further encouraging the government to investigate citizen income (there is more than enough of that already). Thanks for the backhand slap as I retired 7 years ago with my monthly draw transferred each month to Bangkok Bank NYC. Works for many here in LOS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I disagree that the US Consulate has the responsibility of certifying personal citizen retirement income. I also question the wisdom of further encouraging the government to investigate citizen income (there is more than enough of that already). Thanks for the backhand slap as I retired 7 years ago with my monthly draw transferred each month to Bangkok Bank NYC. Works for many here in LOS.

Ditto ... works just fine for me too direct to account every month, bank book and bank officers in full compliance with full knowledge --- no embassy involvement at all

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Having money transferred from the US to a Thai bank monthly is costly and idiotic.

Depending on YOUR BANK in the USA, using your debit/credit card, and your Thai bank, it MIGHT not be costly.  I use XE Currency converter as my exchange rate checker.  I have never been more than $5.00USD over the XE rate ( per 25,000.00THB )  I have a INSIDE TELLER swipe my US Bank card and deposit straight to my Thai account.  Use the bank's ATM to withdraw monies using my Thai Bank card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Thanks for the backhand slap as I retired 7 years ago with my monthly draw transferred each month to Bangkok Bank NYC. Works for many here in LOS.

Just to confirm, you do realize that the standard ACH transfer to Bangkok Bank NY method is ending ??

Wasn't sure if you were speaking in the past tense or maybe you found a way to use the uncommon IAT ACH transfers.

22 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Just to confirm, you do realize that the standard ACH transfer to Bangkok Bank NY method is ending ??

He might be getting his social security direct deposited that will still work if it is in the IAT format. The SSA has been using the IAT format for sometime now for most direct deposits to the NY branch.

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

Depending on YOUR BANK in the USA, using your debit/credit card, and your Thai bank, it MIGHT not be costly.  I use XE Currency converter as my exchange rate checker.  I have never been more than $5.00USD over the XE rate ( per 25,000.00THB )  I have a INSIDE TELLER swipe my US Bank card and deposit straight to my Thai account.  Use the bank's ATM to withdraw monies using my Thai Bank card.

Does your US bank card swipe show up as a FFT foreign transfer on your Thai passbook for immigration? Probably not. Are you just posting about the way you get cash from your US bank while in Thailand? The person you responded to was talking about transferring money to qualify for his retirement extension, not about the cost of just getting cash using a bank card from an ATM.

Edited by BertM

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

That is a good idea but because I spend a lot of time out of the country, and I use a credit card for most purchases, it doesn't make sense for me to transfer 65,000 baht into a Thai bank monthly nor does it make sense to deposit 800,000 baht into a Thai bank.

I'm not alone with this dilemma.  This is one of the reasons many are choosing to leave Thailand.  I'm considering moving to Portugal or even to the US.  

Thanks for the information though.  This may help some who actually want to transfer 65,000 baht over here monthly. ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Well, it looks like due to the American Consulates failure to verify simple US bank statements for expats living in Thailand, there is no sensible solution.  Having money transferred from the US to a Thai bank monthly is costly and idiotic.  Thank's consulate staff, you are a great group ????

In my opinion, if a person has the income that the TI require, then bank fees would be a drop in the bucket for for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

That is a good idea but because I spend a lot of time out of the country, and I use a credit card for most purchases, it doesn't make sense for me to transfer 65,000 baht into a Thai bank monthly nor does it make sense to deposit 800,000 baht into a Thai bank.

I'm not alone with this dilemma.  This is one of the reasons many are choosing to leave Thailand.  I'm considering moving to Portugal or even to the US.  

Thanks for the information though.  This may help some who actually want to transfer 65,000 baht over here monthly. ???? 

I think he was just talking about getting cash using his US bank card while in Thailand, not about making transfers that qualify for immigration extensions.

Edited by BertM
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

You are right, it isn't the responsibility of the US Consulate to certify retirement income for expats living in Thailand, until they started issuing the $50 "income verification letters."  

They enjoyed themselves collecting $50 for doing nothing more than notarising these letters, and now when immigration asked them to take a couple of minutes to actually do what people have been paying them to do they stopped the letters.

Good for you on your monthly transfer of funds to a Thai bank every month.  This fund transfer does work for some but for many expats it isn't a good idea.  Some of us enjoy international's travel throughout the year, and don't need to have 65,000 baht transferred to a Thai bank every month when we are in another country.  

Then there are others who like to use their credit cards at Rimping, restaurants, and for other purchases during the month since they offer cash back on these cards, and don't need 65,000 baht coming into Thailand every month. ????

If you got money in thai bank, it doesnt matter what country your in. Cant understand what the problem would be. A bank is a bank.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

This has nothing to do with the American embassy. It all came about from pressure from Thai immigration. That is why these letters stopped. No doubt about it. It is called the Biggest Joke gravy train. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

VA will transfer your pension to any bank which is subscribed to the transfer regime.  Any US Veterans Service Organization with members in LOS will be able to point you to a bank which accepts these transfers, if the ACS desk in Manila cannot help you.  I know people receiving these transfers (free) for over ten years, but cannot recommend any specific bank in Thailand as I don't know which ones participate.  Those banks accepting Social Security are a good place to start.

Pensions are deposited monthly, meeting the Thai requirement.

Edited by WyrldTraveler
left out the monthly deposit statement

2 minutes ago, WyrldTraveler said:

VA will transfer your pension to any bank which is subscribed to the transfer regime.  Any US Veterans Service Organization with members in LOS will be able to point you to a bank which accepts these transfers, if the ACS desk in Manila cannot help you.  I know people receiving these transfers (free) for over ten years, but cannot recommend any specific bank in Thailand as I don't know which ones participate.  Those banks accepting Social Security are a good place to start.

As far as I know the VA will not do direct deposits to any Thai bank.

Some people have been having them transferred to a Bangkok Bank account via their New York branch. But they have been done in the standard ACH transfer format. After April 1st only the IAH code for international ACH transfers will be accepted and the VA has told people that they cannot do them using the IAH code.

My VA disability check goes directly into my bangkok bank direct deposit account.   I am 100% P and T.  You need to go to Bangkok bank branch and set up the correct account type and bring along your VA papers make sure u have the correct routing numbers.   Works fine very happy.   I have to go into the bank on payday and then I can use it as I need it.   The transfers mine is 3600 a month is shown as coming from the USA so no issues with immigration.   

U need to make sure that e benefits has your local address here in Thailand and that will trigger the IACH format for your DD.   Any questions call me <contact by personal message>.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed phone number (forum rule)

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If some of your trips are back the states then you might want to consider applying for a OA long stay visa at the embassy in DC or one of the 3 official consulates. No need to put money in the bank here or make transfers. You can leave it in a US bank or prove your income when you apply for the OA visa. 

Do you know what the other 3 official consulates are that will issue the OA long stay visa?  Thanks for the heads up ????

Just a thought, but if all of you said our Embassies wont issue anything, thats it, are they going to look even bigger idiots sending thousands home.,?. The Thai Wives ive spoken too are more worried than any of you. O.K only 4. bout the idea originated from them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Do you know what the other 3 official consulates are that will issue the OA long stay visa?  Thanks for the heads up ????

New York, Chicago and Los Angeles are the official consulates all the others are honorary consulates.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration has come out with a amendment to a police order that allows you to show transfers into the country as proof of your income in response to the US embassy and others stopping the issuance of income proof.

Screenshot of the requirements for extensions based upon upon marriage. You will only need to show one transfer as it states but I would suggest you do a few more before the date you apply for the extension. You would only need to transfer a little more than 40k baht to allow for exchange rate fluctuations.

image.png.88d9eb61f79347553f420496536c1064.png

Joe, what happened to the statement from immigration that they would cut us a little slack on this first year if our deposits were not all above 65,000 baht.....mine have been fluctuating above and below all year. Has anybody actually invoked this with immigration?

25 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

VA does IACH transfers for me with no issues at all.   Fill out the form on e benefits and if u do it early enough u will see it in your account at bangkok bank the following month.  

You should check with Bangkok Bank to confirm you transfers are in the IAT format. Others getting VA benefits have been informed they are not in the IAH format.

6 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Joe, what happened to the statement from immigration that they would cut us a little slack on this first year if our deposits were not all above 65,000 baht.....mine have been fluctuating above and below all year. Has anybody actually invoked this with immigration?

The leniency was for how long you have been doing the transfers. If you can get all your transfers at 65k baht or more for a few months before you apply for your extension they will be accepted.