Baht bus, taxi drivers lectured about ripping off tourists

Rimmer

image.png

PATTAYA:--About 500 baht bus and taxi drivers learned basic first aid and were lectured about overcharging and unruly behavior in a meeting with top Pattaya city officials and police.

Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome opened the Feb. 8 meeting with representatives of Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, the Chonburi Land Transport Department and Pattaya Police Station.

The songthaew, motorcycle taxi and metered-cab drivers were told of the criminal penalties for ripping off tourists, behaving badly, blocking traffic and driving recklessly.

All the drivers then received lessons in primary first aid and CPR.

Pattaya officials also called on the drivers to work together to promote tourism and be the “eyes and ears” of police out on the streets to cut crime. (PCPR)

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-15-02--

12 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

You don't do it like that, you do it like this...

14 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

All the drivers then received lessons in primary first aid and CPR

I assume CPR doesn't really mean lessons in Cheating Pattaya Residents?

God, what a waste of time. I've never seen anywhere else in the world with a taxi mafia quite like Pattaya's. Was doing an overnight trip down there a while back and asked my taxi driver if he wanted to stick around, he said he couldn't, because if he got caught loitering around waiting for a fare by the moto or taxi drivers, he'd be beaten up. 

Basically he had to go and see one of the local stands, who would then find him a return fare to Bangkok, but would take 40% of the cut for doing so. 

4 minutes ago, Clutch said:

At first glance at the photo I thought the police had just made a big arrest.

A few of the city's drug dealers would be in amongst that mob for sure, if the constant offers I get at the moto taxi stalls are anything to go by...

Oh they’re now teaching these scumbags techniques to rip foreigners off in a proper and sleek way ?! They should all have been training by a western on how to drive, manners and being honest for a change !

Clearly they need enlarge the prison cell to fit this mob in althogether ????????‍♂️ Losers ????????

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

The songthaew, motorcycle taxi and metered-cab drivers were told of the criminal penalties for ripping off tourists, behaving badly, blocking traffic and driving recklessly

And life goes on as same 

nothing changes 

PR stunt from the government as a only fantasy believe us 

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Nicely spotted, acronym's can have double meanings, I'm sure the massed audience were listening intently & talking notes !

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

About 500 baht bus and taxi drivers learned basic first aid and were lectured about overcharging and unruly behavior in a meeting with top Pattaya city officials and police.

Was it the same lecture that they've already had a few times?  

Perhaps the lecturer doesn't understand that he's lecturing to previous students of the Thai education system; the phrase "Pissing up a rope" springs to mind.

They are sharks preying on ignorant Chinese tourists. Hang around outside the highrise condos in Wongamat on Soi 16. Between the baht bus driver or mislabled taxi meter, all that they see are sardines ready to be consumed. No meters used and 300 baht is the only English heard. Been here years and nothing has changed.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

no it was meant for the other side, maybe more money and easy Cheating Phuket Residents

I really do wonder about the members on here. How many actually live in Thailand. How many live in Pattaya and how many are the quintessential 2 week millionaires and how many regurgitate the same old bar stool nonsense. I go to Pattaya every four weeks on average. Get pissed . And I'm happy to pay 200 baht for a drive back to my condo...whats the big deal?? When you blow 5-10,000 on night out whats a taxi fare mean in the scheme of things? I can get to Walking street for 10 baht and pay a  bit more for the convenience of doorstep delivery when I go home.

I've never really been cheated by any of Pattaya's transport providers apart from a couple of late night trips on a M/C taxi from Walking Street to my lodgings in Central Pattaya which should be around 60 B. But being charged 80 or 100 for said trip at 4 am is not going to break anyone's heart.

Some of the M/C taxi boys may be a bit sullen and appear to practically hate us but that's understandable when they see comparably rich foreigners spending in a night what may take them a week or more to earn and then sh@gging their womenfolk to boot. If I were them I would not be too enthusiastic about such a situation in my country either!

The baht bus system in Pattaya must be one of the most efficient and cheapest forms of transport on the planet. Can be a bit uncomfortable but they serve their purpose admirably and the 10 B fare has not gone up for over 20 years

I rarely take a taxi in Pattaya unless I've got a lot of shopping or going to or from the airport and always agree on a price before I get in the vehicle. I have without exception found the drivers who work for the firm I use to be pleasant and courteous. And that 1100 B fare plus a tip of your choice has not gone up in 20 years either.

Personally, I don't find motorcycle taxis all that unfair with their 40 or 50 baht fare but Pattaya taxi cabs and baht bus drivers need to be disciplined with real fines and not just nominal fines they can make back in a few hours by ripping off more tourists.

Archived