Visiting Vietnam/cambodia

SARGEY

Hi everyone

I am a UK citizen with UK passport. I will be in LOS again Apr/May and would like to visit both Vietnam and Cambodia. Can you tell me if it is possible to obtain a visa on arrival at these countries, or do I have to apply for entry through the Embasies here in the UK. Your help would be appreciated.

from my information, there is no visa on arrival in Vietnam...I had visas arranged for me by my company before departure in BKK and later to extend when in VN. However, the tourist visa application process is simple and straightforward (so I'm told) so just go to the nearest VN embassy/consulate and do the necessary...they are encouraging tourism in VN these days...

the VN embassy in BKK is a 'small wooden door' in Athanee Plaza on Wireless Road...application in the morning and pickup the next day...

enjoy...VN is a wonderful place... :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Hi everyone

I am a UK citizen with UK passport. I will be in LOS again Apr/May and would like to visit both Vietnam and Cambodia. Can you tell me if it is possible to obtain a visa on arrival at these countries, or do I have to apply for entry through the Embasies here in the UK. Your help would be appreciated.

You can get a visa on arrival for Cambodia, don't know about Vietnam though.

All the advice is correct as far as I know. When we arrived at Pnom Penh, we handed our application in with the photographs and dosh and then waited for about 15 inutes while they processed it. Bit of a bun fight getting the passports back though, they wave them from a distance of about 10 metres :o . See if you can spot your own mug from that far away. For Hanoi, we applied a week in advance. One word of advice though, make sure you have enough pages in your passport, each visa takes up a whole page!

You can most definitely get a visa on arrival in Vietnam.

You need to get a letter from the immigration department allowing you a visa on arrival. This can be arranged through a consulate, or a travel agent who knows how to do such things.

The process is much the same, so it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is generally a faster process, and that is why it is generally done. Another reason is possibly because the letter can be made off a copy of the passport, where as you have to hand over your passport for a visa.

If you have this letter, then when you reach the immigration hall you must go all the way to your right (last desk) where they will issue your visa. Fill out the form, give them your letter for visa on arrival, two photos, and I believe $25USD (which is cheaper than if you get the visa at home.)

One last issue, is that you may have some problems convincing the airline. You must show them the letter, and usually sign a waiver releasing them of responsibility if you do not get your visa.

The Vietnamese Embassy is located about 100 m before you get to Athanee Plaza on Wireless road. They offer several different visa options each priced at how fast you need it. I had plenty of tme so I went for the 4 day which was the cheapest. They also offer same day service, drop off in the morning and pick up in afternoon, but was more expensive. Wife and son were traveling on Thai passports and didn't need a visa.