Scorching summer coming, experts warn

webfact

If I can add a degree of insight :-). I worked in The Middle East for years where the usual 'hot' periods get up to 50 C/122 F for days at a time. If you do not drink a lot of water 'regularly' and keep your skin from getting exposed to the hot sun, you're basically "<deleted>. They don't wear those long flowing toques for fun. Not only alcohol, but sugar will take you out.  Drinking in an a/c tavern then trying to walk in the heat can take you to your knees. For diabetics or sugar junkies, the same thing can happen. 

Now here's the kicker. If there's a power failure because the power grid is overloaded, many people are going to be in a world of hurt. Imagine being on the 25th floor or in an elevator/lift and the power goes out?  The high heat is also about how well the power company has built the power grids to withstand periods of high usage (power surges) but that's a whole different story.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Seems different around my way. I bought a 50 baht thermometer ( made in China ) in the local market and since then it's been a steady 31 degrees day and night for about 3 months.

Ahh yes, someones coloured the fluid tube with a red pen, saves costs on filling the tube with liquid.

Damn clever these Chinese, they don't miss a trick!

5 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Forecasters have trouble predicting tomorrow's weather - this article is a waste of pixels.

You seem to generalize, far too much, if only talking about Thailand, you might be right, but hey, Australia is much larger, than many countries, with a wide range of climatic zones, and the weather forecasters are usually spot on.

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Well there was me looking forward to the Winter season for things to cool down now its passed 

Summer starts  21st  February 2019

Must be some truth  in this World warming climate  change 

There was me waiting for it to snow, now summer is about to start, oh well, will global warming, maybe snow next year.

33 minutes ago, wayned said:

Time for Antactica to open worlwide Embassies and offer retirement visas?

what are the financial requirements going to be?  Hard to have 'liquid assets' in Antarctica.  Mind you, the houses are cheap, just build your own igloo in a couple of hours.  

Current amount of atmospheric insulation (a.k.a. greenhouse gases) is higher than at any time in 3-5 million years. most of the energy (>93%) gets stored in the oceans which warm slowly, but are warming consistently. [https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/22/climate-heating-greenhouse-gases-at-record-levels-says-un ]  The fluctuations in annual temperatures as felt on land depends upon whether the still warming oceans have the warmer water going deep, or sitting at the surface. This is especially noticeable in the east Pacific. When the warm water is at the surface, the weather pattern is called an El Nino and for El Nino years that warm surface water heats the air above, which then warms the atmosphere globally - more so than otherwise. 1998 and 2016 were strong El Nino years, but the overall pattern of the planet is on a warming trend line. 1050781707_20warmestyears.png.333c854a9bbc707a3055d125eb946937.png
Due to the slope of warming globally, even the neutral year of 2017 came in as the 2nd warmest year since accurate measurements have been gathered widely. 2018 was a weak La Nina year, so slightly cooler (with more rain in the Western Pacific monsoonal season). 2019 looks to be another El Nino year, but it won't be known until May or June how strong an El Nino it will be. Thus, 2014 - 2018 form a 5 year streak of all five of the warmest years on record.

Even a weak El Nino is poised to supplant 2017 for 2nd warmest year on record globally. ... and while La Nina years have more rain in the eastern Pacific / SE Asia, La Nino years have less rain.

1 hour ago, Jimdandy said:

If I can add a degree of insight :-). I worked in The Middle East for years where the usual 'hot' periods get up to 50 C/122 F for days at a time. If you do not drink a lot of water 'regularly' and keep your skin from getting exposed to the hot sun, you're basically "<deleted>. They don't wear those long flowing toques for fun. Not only alcohol, but sugar will take you out.  Drinking in an a/c tavern then trying to walk in the heat can take you to your knees. For diabetics or sugar junkies, the same thing can happen. 

Now here's the kicker. If there's a power failure because the power grid is overloaded, many people are going to be in a world of hurt. Imagine being on the 25th floor or in an elevator/lift and the power goes out?  The high heat is also about how well the power company has built the power grids to withstand periods of high usage (power surges) but that's a whole different story.

My nightmare here is a power cut on a really hot summer season afternoon here and the aircon stops! Luckily it has only happened twice in 13 years! Once you've stripped naked there's nowhere to go....lol.

4 hours ago, howbri said:

The "climate" has been changing for thousands of years, long before fossil fuels and CO2. Environazis simply want to control our lives without making ANY change to the temp.

You're wrong if you believe that the climate isn't being changed because of humanity's behaviour.

Very wrong.

6 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I thought you were going to say it was time for Antarctica to be towed to Thailand to make it cooler.

If it were towed to Thailand, the Thais would just cut it up and sell the ice.

7 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Forecasters have trouble predicting tomorrow's weather - this article is a waste of pixels.

NOAA said this winter would be warmer than normal back in November 2018 for the states and Europe.. They were wrong then as most of their long term forecast are.

50 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

My nightmare here is a power cut on a really hot summer season afternoon here and the aircon stops! Luckily it has only happened twice in 13 years! Once you've stripped naked there's nowhere to go....lol.

Agree, we had a power cut here (Udon) in 2016 in the middle of the hottest spell ever known to mankind!!! it was misearable and went on for 48 hours. I wanted to go to a hotel but wife refused so stayed with her the first night, the second night I was going to leave her and go to a hotel ???? just before I left the house power came back on ???? it was heaven .............

Next day I bought a generator - never again...................

Yeah...ahm...if the idiot in the White House is still looking: Global Warming is in Thailand!

(I am being sarcastic- I actually know the difference between weather and climate! Unlike the President of 'Murica and his climate change -denying friends!)

4 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Every time I buy a ticket I have a fifty percent chance of winning the lottery.........................I might win, I might not. 

But if we don't play we have 100% chance of losing............

3 hours ago, 727Sky said:

NOAA said this winter would be warmer than normal back in November 2018 for the states and Europe.. They were wrong then as most of their long term forecast are.

Yes, and there is a reason as to why:

With the Arctic Jet stream weaker in winters (due to warmer Arctic temperatures having a a lower temperature differential between winter mid-latitudes and high latitudes) the regional extreme weather events known as a polar vortex becomes more common. Most weather patterns used for generating forecasts are striving to predict the convection currents that will develop - and as the planet warms, those historical patterns are failing to repeat. The weather patterns of this century are more energetic and consequential than the 20th Century patterns during which measurements the meteorologists learned their craft of forecasting short term, seasonal weather ... and ultimately long term climate forecasts. The details of the November NOAA forecast admited that a weak El Nino produces less predictability than does a strong El Nino. The odds are not tilted as intensely.   
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/videos/noaas-mike-halpert-explains-2018-19-us-winter-outlook   

How different is the intensity of this El Nino shaping up? We won't know fully until around June, when the northern hemisphere has transitioned to summer. This January vs January of 2016 shows a major difference. So far, 2019 looks to be a weak El Nino. This is the official forecast as currently posted:
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/february-2019-enso-update-el-niño-conditions-are-here    

Meanwhile, on a snapshot visual comparison of sea surface temperatures in the Pacific, here is January 2016 (strong El Nino) vs January 2019.
We know the thermal imbalances of added insulation have a long term global effect of warming (climate change) but forecasting much more than a week in advance for regional temperature is still and art more than a science. It is worse for precipitation forecasts due to so much more water held aloft now as warmer oceans and air allow an increase.

It is only when scientists see strong conditions that drive weather patterns that they can be more confident in what will happen. We don't currently have strong conditions in the Pacific to know whether this El Nino will grow stonger, or revert to neutral.
ElNinoQuestion.jpg.d6bbfae5b41e4c6a1bb12a0bf45e6d70.jpg

I say, so Summer will be warm, who'd have imagined that. 
Moreover, Summer has been announced to begin February 21st, henceforth or as always?

maybe off topic, but I wonder:
the Meteorological Department is located in Bangkok, isn't it?
Then what was the occasion of a press conference in Pattaya on a Saturday? Always nice to know the event I missed, I think. 

Archived