Tipping golf caddy

damworker2

41 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Caddies are part of the reason I lost interest in golf in Thailand. Huge hassle. Hard to get a good rythm going when the caddie is everywhere but in the right place. Still waiting for the first course here in Chiang Mai to make them optional.

No caddy has ever bothered me. If she’s fun I have a laugh with her, if she’s crap I ignore her. 

Ive seen other people get massively put off by their caddy and pull a right moody at them )and everyone else.)

i don’t see why 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Excuse me? AFAIK caddies are optional on any course in Chiang Mai if you choose to walk. Most courses require a caddy if one is taking a motorized cart.

In golf, blaming the caddy or the course for poor performance is a copout. Truth is you probably lost interest in golf because you didn't enjoy playing badly.

Where do you play that they're optional? 

As I said, caddies are part of the reason why I don't play much when I'm in Thailand. One of the other reasons is chaos on the course and slowplay (6 players per flight!)

Maybe I play at cheap courses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Where do you play that they're optional? 

As I said, caddies are part of the reason why I don't play much when I'm in Thailand. One of the other reasons is chaos on the course and slowplay (6 players per flight!)

Maybe I play at cheap courses.

Gymkhana, Lanna,  Hang Dong, Haripunchai, San Sai, Stardome.  Mae Kok, Happy City and Santiburi in Chiang Rai.

IMHO Hang Dong is the worst for slow play. I've been behind groups of 8 there, which is why I'll never play there again.

• Like 1

At my age I need a caddy to pull my clubs and to tell me where my ball went or even where the flag is.

I also expect her to pass me water ... I get through three bottles each time we play ...all the way around and not just on the last couple of holes!

I don't expect her to tell me 'today is my birthday' if that happens I just ask her how many birthdays she has each year.

With the hot weather we try to start by 6am and if lucky are finished by about 9:15am including a halfway stop.

Most seem to tip same as the caddy fee or just a little bit more.

My wife used to have her own caddy but sometimes a pain as maybe at the last minute we want to change our plans or her motorbike has a problem etc ...now at our club, it is 100thb extra to pre book a caddy...

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 7:01 PM, lelapin said:

Depends on what course you are playing and whether you have a regular caddy. I was a member at Siam Country Club and caddy fee was 450 baht - I gave 400 tip and an extra 100 baht if I got to within 2 of my handicap. Used to make the back 9 more exciting for caddy and also more enjoyable for me. Seeing her face on the last green when I had just sunk a long putt for 34 points was great.

If you are the type of person who will query whether her prescence had helped me sink it and therefore justify her extra 100 baht, I would say GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know how are caddies paid at SCC ? Old course, how much other people tip here ? and any good caddie to recommend ? thanks.

8 hours ago, myjawe said:

Do you know how are caddies paid at SCC ? Old course, how much other people tip here ?

I used to know but was some years ago. My guess is they get between 350 and 400 of the 450 caddy fee.

Friends who have played in the last year said that expected tip is at least 450 or they turn their noses up..........

This was (and I doubt it has changed) one of the few courses around Pattaya that charge 100 baht for pre booking a caddy.