Tipping golf caddy

damworker2

In a restaurant, i do not penalize the server if the food is crap.  Same on the golf course.  All my caddies get the same, but depending whether i'm riding a buggy or not.  

She's pulling a trolley for the 7km = 340 baht.  If she's driving the buggy = 300 baht.  Only up would be an eagle or H-I-O. 

Really, the caddy has no influence on my golf game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, metisdead said:

An inflammatory post has been removed. 

For tipping the caddy, tip the same as the caddy fee or slightly lower if the caddy services are not too good. 

Yes you can if you want. However some courses now the caddy fee is 450 baht. The minimum caddy fee around Pattaya (other than Navy) is 330 baht with most 350.

It is meant to be a tip after all :thumbsup:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes you can if you want. However some courses now the caddy fee is 450 baht. The minimum caddy fee around Pattaya (other than Navy) is 330 baht with most 350.

It is meant to be a tip after all :thumbsup:

Cheaper up North. The upfront green fee paid includes a caddy component. There are a couple of courses where management keeps the fee component which is supposed to go to the caddy, so they are solely reliant on the tip for income. Bastards.

Usual recommended tip in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai is 120/240 baht, 9/18 holes. 300 at Santiburi.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

10% of your winnings, unless your name is Kucher.

With my current game the caddy would have to pay me :wink:

A good point though is that if you play badly you should not take it out on the caddy tip as long as she does her job to an acceptable standard.

I do however find it irritating if a caddy starts asking for 20/50 baht if you get a birdie - especially when her read on the putt wasn't even correct! :w00t:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

There are a couple of courses where management keeps the fee component which is supposed to go to the caddy, so they are solely reliant on the tip for income.

That is downright nasty. I think on most courses around Pattaya they keep only 50 baht or so and the rest goes to the caddy - from what I was able to discover some years ago.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, topt said:

With my current game the caddy would have to pay me :wink:

A good point though is that if you play badly you should not take it out on the caddy tip as long as she does her job to an acceptable standard.

I do however find it irritating if a caddy starts asking for 20/50 baht if you get a birdie - especially when her read on the putt wasn't even correct! :w00t:

Agree. I pay my caddy the same irrespective of whether I've played well or badly.

Perhaps the payment for birdie custom has spread from Indonesia, where it's obligatory. I once had a caddy there mistreat my clubs after I missed a short putt for birdie.

Thankfully, the custom hasn't spread up North.

A Japanese couple I played with recently were upset because the caddy asked for extra after they had given the regulation tip. I told them the caddy was well out of order.

• Like 2

I play 2 - 3 times a month in and around Bangkok. I always give them the same as what the caddy fee was at the clubhouse. I have not idea what % they get from that fee. 

For example on Saturday the caddy fee to the club was 300, I then gave her 300 at the end of the round. I will also buy them a drink on the way round too.

I don't really care how good or bad they are as I prefer to choose the clubs myself based on my yardages and I also like take my own score so I can keep count of stableford points and putts etc. Therefore she is only pulling the trolley. 

I certainly miss the joys and ease of playing in the UK where I didn't need a caddy or was always paired up with other players on my round with my mate ????

Edited by BobbyL
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 7:29 AM, catman20 said:

Farangs messed the whole job up here by always tipping too much now the rates of exchange have changed and no one can afford golf or bar girls.

False.

The course I played this afternoon had 250 players today. So, I guess some of us can still afford it.....

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 10:20 AM, BobbyL said:

I play 2 - 3 times a month in and around Bangkok. I always give them the same as what the caddy fee was at the clubhouse. I have not idea what % they get from that fee. 

For example on Saturday the caddy fee to the club was 300, I then gave her 300 at the end of the round. I will also buy them a drink on the way round too.

They keep all the caddy fee and tip.

So, if you pay 300 fee and 300 tip that is obviously 600 b for mostly a 5 hour day max.

The course I play in CM I tee off around 630 am and finish by 10 am.

600 b not bad for Thai standards 3 1/2 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

False.

The course I played this afternoon had 250 players today. So, I guess some of us can still afford it.....

cheap charlie course ? please name the course

i can still afford to play golf but thats not point,

the point i am trying to make is when you go into big c and your shopping is 1800 baht do you give 2000 baht and say keep the change cos you like the cashier ?

Edited by catman20
  • Like 1

Depends on what course you are playing and whether you have a regular caddy. I was a member at Siam Country Club and caddy fee was 450 baht - I gave 400 tip and an extra 100 baht if I got to within 2 of my handicap. Used to make the back 9 more exciting for caddy and also more enjoyable for me. Seeing her face on the last green when I had just sunk a long putt for 34 points was great.

If you are the type of person who will query whether her prescence had helped me sink it and therefore justify her extra 100 baht, I would say GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

500 unless the caddy shits her pants on the 15th hole and runs away.

(this happened at Thana City)

I've had a caddy in our group become ill from something she had for breakfast. Nothing as drastic as that, though. My caddy pulled two sets of clubs that day.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 9:14 PM, catman20 said:

cheap charlie course ? please name the course

i can still afford to play golf but thats not point,

the point i am trying to make is when you go into big c and your shopping is 1800 baht do you give 2000 baht and say keep the change cos you like the cashier ?

That's one hell of a point. The cashier is working for you for 4 - 5 hours over 18 holes ?

• Like 1

Caddies are part of the reason I lost interest in golf in Thailand. Huge hassle. Hard to get a good rythm going when the caddie is everywhere but in the right place. Still waiting for the first course here in Chiang Mai to make them optional.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Caddies are part of the reason I lost interest in golf in Thailand. Huge hassle. Hard to get a good rythm going when the caddie is everywhere but in the right place. Still waiting for the first course here in Chiang Mai to make them optional.

Excuse me? AFAIK caddies are optional on any course in Chiang Mai if you choose to walk. Most courses require a caddy if one is taking a motorized cart.

In golf, blaming the caddy or the course for poor performance is a copout. Truth is you probably lost interest in golf because you didn't enjoy playing badly.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1