Is There Trouble Brewing In Los?

ding

Maybe an educated guess, maybe gossip...

but a friend married to a Thai says there's probably going to be more extremist trouble, more government trouble, and more farang-violence in Thailand.

He also said the Baht will crash.

Anyone agree?

He said I shouldn't go there.

but a friend married to a Thai says there's probably going to be more extremist trouble, more government trouble, and more farang-violence in Thailand.

Anyone agree?

cheez... 'hope not. but like everyone say that wheel is round, what once up can go down but i hope not in this lifetime.

Anyone agree?

Hearsay and rumor.

You might as well have started this thread with the phrase "A mate down the pub said..."

Check your emabssy's website for travel warnings. They are usually overcautious and should be aware of any intelligence of upcoming problems.

I personally wouldn't risk my family by traveling in the South of Thailand, but don't have a problem with other regions.

As always, when traveling, you should be cautious and stay aware of your surroundings.

That tip works anywhere you go.

Anyone agree?

As far as the baht crashing, that seems doubtful, as crashes are usually preceded by extreme bullishness. While many of us perceive the baht to be overvalued, it could certainly get A LOT more so prior to any crash tyype event. If that were to happen, maybe the "crash" only takes it back to where it is now. As for troubles and investment..... well ther is a gap in the SET at 519 that needs filling at some point, but not necessarily from here.

Check your emabssy's website for travel warnings. They are usually overcautious and should be aware of any intelligence of upcoming problems.

I personally wouldn't risk my family by traveling in the South of Thailand, but don't have a problem with other regions.

As always, when traveling, you should be cautious and stay aware of your surroundings.

That tip works anywhere you go.

I think for the most parts of the South, it's still safe. I hope it will remain that way.

Visitors are perfectly safe here, but long term stays or investments? There are a few grey clouds over the Gulf

-There’s an increasingly unpopular Junta in power.

-The current government is only working to discredit the former, so that it can justify throwing democracy and the constitution out the window (save its face). Long range economic planning and foresight is a distant dream.

-Thais no longer have any avenue to protest the government and therefore those who might have shown restraint in corruption now have a free hand to pursue whatever.

-The military refuses to pursue southern insurgents who are becoming bolder and stronger everyday.

-Thailand has had 23 coups since 1932, an average of one every three years, but they tend to come in waves.

Not exactly utopia, but I’m sticking around for now.

but a friend married to a Thai says there's probably going to be more extremist trouble..........

Ding,

Would your friends name be "Dong" by any chance? :o

Maybe both of you have been breathing the same air....or perhaps you both work for Avon. :D

Edited by Mighty Mouse

I don't see the baht crashing since the USD is down and most regional currencies are strengthening. I agree however that the trouble in the South could escalate and turn very nasty. Is the Thai population becoming more antagonistic towards foreigners, my sense is that it is. Is something bad waiting in the wings, my gut says yes but I can't quantify it although my gut feel is usually right, for me.

I don't see the baht crashing since the USD is down and most regional currencies are strengthening. I agree however that the trouble in the South could escalate and turn very nasty. Is the Thai population becoming more antagonistic towards foreigners, my sense is that it is. Is something bad waiting in the wings, my gut says yes but I can't quantify it although my gut feel is usually right, for me.

Did you know that you have more nerve endings in your stomach than in your head? Look it up. Now, somebody’s gonna say `I did look that up and its wrong‘. Well, Mister, that’s because you looked it up in a book. Next time, try looking it up in your gut. I did. And my gut tells me that’s how our nervous system works.

I've been here for over 9 years and farang are always predicting these amazingly bad scenarios in which Thailand is going to collapse and all farang will leave Thailand. I'd say there are about 400% more farang living here in that period and the Thai economy keeps advancing.

wish the baht would not so much crash as devalue and I get 40 baht per AUD by july :o

Now you have done it - you will have the wrath of The Thai Goon down on you!

I very much doubt you will have your wish though - the THB is pretty steady at the moment.

Edited by Prakanong

In 1992 many pro-democracy protesters were students and people with a brain. Most of the people who would normally be pro-democracy protesters have colluded with the People Against Democracy PAD to support the military in exchange for ... well, best not to say on TV.

I've been here for over 9 years and farang are always predicting these amazingly bad scenarios in which Thailand is going to collapse and all farang will leave Thailand. I'd say there are about 400% more farang living here in that period and the Thai economy keeps advancing.

Yeah, I'd say that you have a good lock on it, I mean if something hasn't happened in the last 9 years, surely it will never happen. Nobody ever flew a commercial airliner into a tall building before 9/11. But then it happened. Nasty bit of business that.

How many terrorist attacks were happening in the south 9 years ago? Which nation in the world has figured out a solution to radical Islam? When has a miilitary junta ever been beneficial to a nation or taken a nation into better economy or improved the standard of living?

I'm not saying that cooler heads won't prevail, generally they do. But you got to admit some folks seem to be bending over backwards to allow the most free, most sabai country in Asia to tumble into khaos. The Philippines used to be a strong economy in Asia. Then they had these same issues pop up over there.

Anyone agree?

Hi, I think your friend is suffering from some form of depression hence his negative outburst.

You should suggest to his wife that Prozac may help (over time) It is readily available here in Thailand and do not have to pay the exhorbant costs to see GP ( general practioner)

Tell him to read expiry dates on container and only take as directed by (sic pyshician)

IMO (in my opinion) you should come here.

BTW ( by the way) if the baht crashes that is good for USA farangs with dollars

Ping me when if you are in Pattaya, We can go for a beer.

Anyone agree?

i have a friend who is russian, married to a finnish lady and lives in Sweden. he said i shouldn't worry too much and concentrate enjoying living in Thailand.

:o

I think your friend is speaking with a wise tongue.

I've bore witness to all of these things simmering in the past few years and it'd not surprise for his predictions to become facts.

Yes it dosent take much brain power to see whats comming just common sence, we don't need Nostradamus,

Their changing the slogan "Land of smiles" to "Land of shootings"

Anyone agree?

I fully agree.

I think there will be more trouble in Thailand and that will affect each and everyone of us - when we read the morning's paper! Nothing much brewing that will affect any of us personally at all, I reckon. Just the normal ups and downs of living as a human incarnate in this millenium.

Trouble brewing in LOS. Nowhere else? Check out the international news. A few weeks ago, the police here in Germany nabbed a gang of bombers, nationality not clear, the names sounded mostly Turkish, but who knows. This happy little bunch had their bombs already primed and were all set to do the major rail terminals. Note the word Germany. So what are you going to do, stay home and never go anywhere? I'm no more at risk from such psychopaths in LOS than I am here in cosy Germany.

post-6192-1172578568_thumb.png

Bronco: This is the Australian Dollar to the Thai Baht over the past 5 years. It is definitely on a downward trend. I am coming back at the start of April (for Songkran) - hope the trend reverses. It was nice getting 30 plus Baht to the $AU1 ...

Peter