Looking for a cooler clean climate.

geisha

1 hour ago, billp said:

How about Canary Islands? Temperature ranging from 20-25°C year round. Can be quite cool in the winter but never really cold. The two main islands have real cities in the north and busy tourist strips on the south coasts. Lots of English-speaking expats and visitors.

Canary Islands used to be on my list - and somehow I forgot about the place. 

Anything more to add: the attitude of the police/government officials towards farangs? traffic? medical facilties?

I'm up on the hill in Pattaya along Pratamnak. My balcony is sideways to the bay and near constant breezes sweeping over the hill keep things cool. Hardly use air con. Great for coffee on the balcony at sunrise and sunset. Short jump down Soi 5 to the beach. Condos, pools galore.

Just now, Mac98 said:

I'm up on the hill in Pattaya along Pratamnak. My balcony is sideways to the bay and near constant breezes sweeping over the hill keep things cool. Hardly use air con. Great for coffee on the balcony at sunrise and sunset. Short jump down Soi 5 to the beach. Condos, pools galore.

i also have stayed in pratumnak seaview and i can tell you many days cannot see the island the pollution is so bad... how is that good livin?

On 2/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, Pilotman said:

I live between Rayong and Ban Chang, about 60km east of Pattaya.  It is noticeably cooler than many other parts of Thailand, and quite dry (ish), close to the coast with nice beaches locally. Rayong City has nice condos on offer I believe and its a reasonable place to live, but not many expats, if that is your wish.  A big plus for me is that U Tapao Airport is expanding its services and is only 20km from my house. 

I lived in Rayong for years and what you said was mainly correct except there are no nice beaches unless you like oil spills and rubbish!

3 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I often wonder why australians seek tropical places to live when they have it on their doorstep.... i guess it is the costs?  sex?  booze?  all of the above lol

Cost, not anymore. Sex maby for some. Booze, does cost more in a pub but a slab of tinnies cheap enough.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, leggo said:

I lived in Rayong for years and what you said was mainly correct except there are no nice beaches unless you like oil spills and rubbish!

They must have cleaned it up when they put in the breakwaters.  Lovely beaches now, albeit, no services around them, yet.  You have to bring your own chairs and sun shades.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

Take a look at spending some time in Cape Town. 

Really is a great place and lots of nice areas inland 'ish or along the east coast. Was there last year after a 30 year absence and I could not believe how pleasant it was. And as an example, Johannesburg is cheaper to live in than Bangkok and I would agree. But for the uninitiated, the crime is a scary thought. Make that even for the initiated. ????

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Really is a great place and lots of nice areas inland 'ish or along the east coast. Was there last year after a 30 year absence and I could not believe how pleasant it was. And as an example, Johannesburg is cheaper to live in than Bangkok and I would agree. But for the uninitiated, the crime is a scary thought. Make that even for the initiated. ????

Great for a break for a few months. You can't beat 250B for a bottle of wine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

Great for a break for a few months. You can't beat 250B for a bottle of wine.

That's a good bottle. ????  Will be there in the next month.

Edited by rhodie

Why not Sam Roi Yot, best area in Thailand, although it’s never cold, on Dolphin Bay you always have a nice breeze. Very little rain, and on the entrance of the National Park very clean air.

its a bit sleepy, but for action you have Hua Hin or Pranburi, and Pak Nam Pran nearby.

Beautiful surroundings as also Kui Buri National Park and the original Thai life in the villages 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, madmen said:

We are in denial. Ozzies will tell you how much cheaper thailand is but they ALWAYS leave out the cost of medical insurance which is of course is basically free in oz.

Take away the sex and thailand would be devoid of all single fat men

Where do you live madman? ( men is plural, you cant be plural).

12 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I often wonder why australians seek tropical places to live when they have it on their doorstep.... i guess it is the costs?  sex?  booze?  all of the above lol

Not sure about the sex - there are lots of knocking shops and Thai 'massage' places around. A bottle of wine costs as little as $5 - around 120 Baht.

Lefty political correctness and fashionable thinking on the emasculation of men has made workplaces rather boring - banter is a thing of the past. But retirees wouldn't be affected by that.

You can't get "cool" and "clean" in Thailand.  Impossible, except for a few weeks in the Winter season (but not every year has a cool winter season).

Southern California is both cool & clean.  Last year, inside my apartment across the street from the beach I have a thermometer with MIN/MAX temperatures.

With no heat nor no A/C the temperature inside my apartment ranged from 64F low to 80F high.

It stayed from 64F to 68F for February, March last year, for example.  It felt pretty cold after living in Thailand. 

January 2018 in Chiang Rai, it got unusually cold for almost a week.  People were riding motorcycles with winter parkas and knit caps.  Doesn't happen every year.

Southern California weather is more consistent.  Only about half the summer (June, July, August) does it even get hot.  It was 104F in Long Beach one day last summer, but it only got up to 87F where I lived by the beach.

There is no such climate in Thailand. 

Three seasons:

Hot, hotter and very hot. ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rhodie said:

That's a good bottle. ????  Will be there in the next month.

Why pay so much?

Trader Joe's Cab Sav house brand, 90B.

Also they have beer for as little as 15B a can.

America has the best beer and wine in the world.

If I drink imported beer in America, it's Guinness or Taddy Smith Porter from England.  Tried multiple German and Belgium beers.  Those Belgium beers are more champagne than beer, 555.  And the German beers are just OK, for commercial beers.  Not as much taste as AMERICAN MICROBREWS. ????

On 2/23/2019 at 1:44 PM, indepth said:

When my retire visa expires, gunna try Queensland, Noosa. Rent same as what Im paying here, and no visa crap, im an Ozzie, no 90 report, no reentry permits, not too bloody hot all year round, dont have to worry about being stitched up by crooked cops, no more $3500 PA travel ins. if I get told I need a bypass, I will know its true. If I get ripped off by some business, I can name and shame them. Quicker , and cheaper , to visit my family in another state, can feel a hell of a lot safer on the roads and if in an accident, it wont automatically be my fault. Why not go now you may ask, 60K security bond paid. 

You are correct. You can find exactly whatever climate you want in Oz.....NZ doesn't have tropics but is clean,green, spectacular, friendly and laid back.

• Like 1

No advice to offer today but I wonder if you care to share more info about this beach in Myanmar?

Up until November last year I lived/worked in central Myanmar.  I made a trip to visit Ngalapi Beach and you can read about my trip and see photos on this link:

https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/naypyitaw-rakhine-state-ngalapi-beach-naypyitaw.14714/

In my 'blog' I describe the beach as 'built-up', but I'm talking relative to other beaches in Myanmar.  Compare it to a beach in Thailand and it's way past the back of beyond...

But Geisha is correct about the weather - its cool with clean-air.

Right now, you can't really consider Myanmar as a long-term or retirement destination because there is no suitable visa type for long-term stay, unless you are working or married to a local citizen.

The infrastructure in Myanmar is basic (and extremely basic in many cases), with plenty of power cuts, water cut off etc.  Don't even think about decent hospitals...

Despite its many shortcomings, I loved working in Myanmar.  I hope to return in the future after a few years of 'holiday' in Thailand.

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Why pay so much?

Trader Joe's Cab Sav house brand, 90B.

Also they have beer for as little as 15B a can.

America has the best beer and wine in the world.

If I drink imported beer in America, it's Guinness or Taddy Smith Porter from England.  Tried multiple German and Belgium beers.  Those Belgium beers are more champagne than beer, 555.  And the German beers are just OK, for commercial beers.  Not as much taste as AMERICAN MICROBREWS. ????

You are talking from a supermarket. I was quoting a price from the restaurant menu.

On 2/23/2019 at 5:03 PM, KhunBENQ said:

New Zealand :smile:

(seriously if I was free to go wherever I want)

yes, but nz is very expensive, people stressed from too much work, too many problems with immigrants..

too cold in the winter...

im 4th generation kiwi-lived there 66yrs...still own properties and have all my family there.

thailand suits me just fine, for now..