Stupidly Lost My UK Passport...

Hi everyone, advice appreciated please. I have lost my UK passport in Bangkok. I will retrace my steps tomorrow but realise

that the chances of recovering it are small.

1. I understand that I can apply for a replacement one via the UK Government website and that one will be sent to me in

due course, is this correct?

2. However, my main consideration is regarding my Visa situation.  The passport contained a Multiple Entry Business Visa which

only had a couple of weeks more left before its expiry date. However, I was given a 90 days stay when I last entered Thailand

on around the 6th February. I do have a copy of the Visa but NOT of the stamp showing the permission to stay until 6th May or so.

If I obtain a replacement UK passport in, for example, 4-6 weeks, and then leave the country in order to get a new Business Visa

overseas, what will Thai Immigration say, as there will be neither a visa nor any stamps in the brand new UK passport I will have

just received?

Any advice or recommendations will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Loss of passport must be reported to Royal Thai Police at the nearest police station, so you can document being without documents.  Bring ALL of your supporting identification documents, including flight itineraries, library cards, your UK ID/driving license, etc. to prove who you are.  Cops feel better if they can point to a mountain of supporting evidence to back up such a claim. 

That, in turn, can be used to generate more papers from the Immigration folks, including the record of your visa, which is on file somewhere, one would hope.

One should also report the loss (preferably with the Thai police report paperwork) to the local UK Consul to expedite a new passport.  Most bureaucracies treat lost passports as if you can't find it before you head off on your holidays in a few months, unless they are informed that you're not playing games here.

When the new passport arrives, you can get a replacement visa issued in new passport. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Also, go to the UK Embassy, first thing and get their help.  They are used to this happening and they should be able to help with Immigration. 

report lost, apply for a new one, you have the best part of 2.5 months, when it arrives, get a letter from the embassy regarding the new passport, and then get last permission to stay transferred at local immigration office. good luck, don't bother with UK embassy they are useless, unless you need an emergency travel doc.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

First you need to report the loss to the local police. Once you get the new passport, take it and the police report form to immigration and they will stamp the new passport with the remaining permission of your current stay.

You should get a new passport within 4 weeks. 2/3 weeks is normal although they won’t guarantee that.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, WyrldTraveler said:

One should also report the loss (preferably with the Thai police report paperwork) to the local UK Consul to expedite a new passport. 

Replacement passports are applied for via VFS in the Trendy Building on Sukhumvit soi 13. The Embassy would only be able to supply an emergency travel document, which the OP doesn’t appear to need.

27 minutes ago, WyrldTraveler said:

When the new passport arrives, you can get a replacement visa issued in new passport. 

Immigration would not supply a replacement visa. That is lost with the passport. They will only issue permission to stay for the remainder of the current 90 day stay.

10 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

UK embassy and help should not be used in the same sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I know, they are not exactly helpful in most circumstances, but as it states in the passport, it is an official UK government document, so they do have some responsibility in these circumstances, even if it at a cost to the individual to access their assistance.  

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There is an emergency travel document or similar name via the uk govt website, available within 24 hours i think i read. No idea about stamps and visas, they should know when applying for passport or travel doc.

An ETD is usually issued in the case of the need to travel urgently for whatever reason, eg get home to UK when you've lost your passport or put it through the wash in your jeans pocket.

In my case I had applied for a new passport through VFS ( old one full ) and a meeting was brought forward by a week and I was unsure if the new PP would arrive in time. I managed to get the ETD issued in a day by showing flight/hotel bookings and the company details about the meeting etc.

For the OP there is no obvious pressing need to travel so it boils down to police report, inform the embassy, apply for a new passport through VFS, go to Imm' with the new passport and details of multi B, smile sweetly and get it sorted.

Keep looking in your luggage. Most passports are misplaced not actually lost or stolen. Unless you are certain and remember leaving it behind somewhere I would recheck your luggage and computer bag.

Another thing you could do is check your bank statement online to see where you purchased stuff the day you lost it. I retraced all my steps (I thought) when I lost mine but when I looked at my statement I realised I'd popped into a Starbucks for a takeaway coffee on the day I lost mine and I'd forgotten that. I t wasn't there though when I went back but it's worth a try. Good luck!

On 2/23/2019 at 7:24 PM, Magdalen said:

Yes I do, but not of the entry stamp when I entered Thailand last, earlier this month

Am not a citizen, but would guess:

i. report the loss right away, back home via the embassy and to the Immigration.

ii. Immi will have your records - they scan pasports, remember?

Expect a high fee, hassle and a few days's wait. But I trust that you will get travel documents and can get the VISA stamp replaced at a certain cost and more hassle.

Good luck!