Which Was Better For You?

mark lamai

Given that the "I Hate Suvarnabhumi" threads here outnumber any other sentiment by probably 100 to 1, I think a poll is not necessary...for me, it's been faster, cleaner and better-looking than Don Muang.

I like the fact that I can eat a nice sandwich at New York Deli before departing, that the curbside dropoff is MUCH better designed than in Don Muang, and that the access road to the airport is a HUGE motorway and as such does not involve the traffic bottleneck I experienced many times in DM, etc. etc. etc. But hey, what would a forum be without a couple of fanboys and a million nitpickers? I just seem to notice that FREQUENT travelers are much less bothered by the new airport and that most negativity comes from the once/year travel crowd.

Given that the "I Hate Suvarnabhumi" threads here outnumber any other sentiment by probably 100 to 1, I think a poll is not necessary...for me, it's been faster, cleaner and better-looking than Don Muang.

I like the fact that I can eat a nice sandwich at New York Deli before departing, that the curbside dropoff is MUCH better designed than in Don Muang, and that the access road to the airport is a HUGE motorway and as such does not involve the traffic bottleneck I experienced many times in DM, etc. etc. etc. But hey, what would a forum be without a couple of fanboys and a million nitpickers? I just seem to notice that FREQUENT travelers are much less bothered by the new airport and that most negativity comes from the once/year travel crowd.

Exactly,

Having used suva a couple of times now, I must say that even if I don't like the colour scheme, the airport facilities are far better (newer) than at DM, but most importantly, coming from Pattaya it saves me a lot of time negotiating the traffic. Anyway, and this may start a new polemic, I have once read the following :

"The mark of intellectual honesty is the solicitation of opposing points of view."

I think that this quote sums up the purpose of this forum.

Regards

Onzestan

Totally agree with you Florin. There's no comparison in my mind between the two. Suvarnabhumi is far better. Lots of people here with loads of free time on their hands and like nothing better to do than complain. I'm also a very frequent traveller - been through Suvarnabhumi 12 times this month - and like anything new, it takes a little getting used to. So for the infrequent once-a-year travelers who don't like something new, their disapproval of the new airport is perhaps understandable. I think though that they are simply a vocal minority. There was a recent post about a survey of world-wide airports and Suvarnabhumi got 3 out of 5 stars, on par with LHR. And that was for last year, with the new opening and all it's problems affecting the results. Not bad I'd say for a new airport, and certainly shows that the general public does not feel the same as so many of the complainers on this board. I'd bet the same poll taken this year would rank it higher. It's certainly way better than LHR in my mind.

With regard to Mark's comments about the Rolls, yeah, maybe it was touted as being a Rolls and didn't deliver, that is if you believed the hype. I never believe the hype, so wasn't disappointed. But I think a more fair assessment would be the Thai government was promising a shiny new Rolls and delivered a nice, slightly used, Toyota, that needs some touchup. If you think Suvarnabhumi would be like a '59 bug, then Don Muang to me would be like an old bicycle with two flat tires.

I'm not saying the people complaining about the airport are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and certainly Suvarnabhumi isn't perfect. Maybe the few problems which seem minor to me, are of major importance to others and thus the complaints. My guess is that maybe 10% of the complainers are being totally honest in their complaints and that 90% of them just like to complain and Suvarnabhumi gives them an excellent opportunity to engage in their favorite pastime

Totally agree with you Florin. There's no comparison in my mind between the two. Suvarnabhumi is far better. Lots of people here with loads of free time on their hands and like nothing better to do than complain. I'm also a very frequent traveller - been through Suvarnabhumi 12 times this month - and like anything new, it takes a little getting used to. So for the infrequent once-a-year travelers who don't like something new, their disapproval of the new airport is perhaps understandable. I think though that they are simply a vocal minority. There was a recent post about a survey of world-wide airports and Suvarnabhumi got 3 out of 5 stars, on par with LHR. And that was for last year, with the new opening and all it's problems affecting the results. Not bad I'd say for a new airport, and certainly shows that the general public does not feel the same as so many of the complainers on this board. I'd bet the same poll taken this year would rank it higher. It's certainly way better than LHR in my mind.

With regard to Mark's comments about the Rolls, yeah, maybe it was touted as being a Rolls and didn't deliver, that is if you believed the hype. I never believe the hype, so wasn't disappointed. But I think a more fair assessment would be the Thai government was promising a shiny new Rolls and delivered a nice, slightly used, Toyota, that needs some touchup. If you think Suvarnabhumi would be like a '59 bug, then Don Muang to me would be like an old bicycle with two flat tires.

I'm not saying the people complaining about the airport are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and certainly Suvarnabhumi isn't perfect. Maybe the few problems which seem minor to me, are of major importance to others and thus the complaints. My guess is that maybe 10% of the complainers are being totally honest in their complaints and that 90% of them just like to complain and Suvarnabhumi gives them an excellent opportunity to engage in their favorite pastime

Dear Soju,

I have but one problem with your posts. You seem to be better at wording my opinions than I am, but then again I presume that english is your mothertongue and for me I am a flemming from Belgium

Anyway keep up the good work

Onzestan

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't believe Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi is the best airport in Thailand. I really loved coming thru Don Muang all these years and hopping on the Tollway so quickly into the city. I really liked Suvarnabhumi the couple times I've used it for its modernity and the rapid service thru customs and immigration. But, I have to say that my favorite airport in Thailand is my little 400 meter grass airstrip near the sea just 17 kilometers north of Cha-am. There are no international flights for sure, just fun flying whenever the weather permits.

Dear Soju,

I have but one problem with your posts. You seem to be better at wording my opinions than I am, but then again I presume that english is your mothertongue and for me I am a flemming from Belgium

Onzestan

Well, Onzestan, I congratulate you on your excellent mastering of the English language, being it's not your mother tongue. Your English is certainly better than a number of people who grew up in English speaking countries.

Not in your league Soju, by a country mile, as I only fly around 8 to 10 times a year and have contrived to only pass through Camp Swampy once so far (second time in two weeks) but I have to say it functioned fine for me. As my final destination is usually Pattaya the location makes it so much better than DMK.

The fact that Suvarnabhumi got a favourable position in a poll on ThaiVisa is to be expected as results of any poll in this forum are bound to be skewed in Thailand's favour. The fact that it was only comparable to LHR should be of concern as most of LHR is over 50 years old however it will be interesting to compare Suvarnabhumi with the new T5 when it opens.

The fact that Suvarnabhumi got a favourable position in a poll on ThaiVisa is to be expected as results of any poll in this forum are bound to be skewed in Thailand's favour. The fact that it was only comparable to LHR should be of concern as most of LHR is over 50 years old however it will be interesting to compare Suvarnabhumi with the new T5 when it opens.

That wasn't a ThaiVisa poll I was referring to, just a post about the poll was made here. The poll was I think a SkyTrax poll, which was a poll of international travellers I believe, with nothing to skew the results in Thailand's favor. I think the fact that BKK and LHR got the same rating has more to do with the fact that there were only 3 months in 2006 that Suvarnabhumi was opened, and had lots of problems during most of that time, so almost certainly the results were lower than what would be expected if the same poll was taken now. If the same poll taken this year shows LHR and BKK the same, without the opening of T5 at LHR, then I'd say it would be of some concern.

Dear Soju,

Onzestan

Well, Onzestan, I congratulate you on your excellent mastering of the English language, being it's not your mother tongue. Your English is certainly better than a number of people who grew up in English speaking countries.

Listen 'ere ya drongo. there's nuffin wrong with the way I speak the old Pommy dialect and anyway I reckon Sawannypoomys a bonza airport.

Dear Soju,

Onzestan

Listen 'ere ya drongo. there's nuffin wrong with the way I speak the old Pommy dialect and anyway I reckon Sawannypoomys a bonza airport.

Beudy cobber

Suwanapoom for me. I disliked Dong Muang for many reasons, it was gloomy, the choice of food was abysmal and it was too far from where we live. Three cheers for the bright and modern airport with a choice of farang food (for children) and that which is a 15 minute drive from our flat.

The only thing DM beats it on was the online departures and arrivals thing. The flightstats one is just nowhere near as good.

I also only travel 6-8 times a year and my US departures are always at 6-7am and arrivals around 11pm or midnight. I haven't seen any real difference at all in service on average, getting long and short lines at immigration and a mixture of direct arrivals at gates and buses from satellite gates at both airports.

I prefered Don Muang only because it is much closer to Nonthaburi, so shorter taxi rides.

Suvarnabhumi for me.

I have travelled through it, in and out twice now and prefer it.

Although it is nearer to Pattaya I shall not cite that as a preference.

1. Excellent modern road to airport.

2. Better drop-off by car.

3. Modern building and large check in areas.

4. Food availability on check in side is better.

5. Banking and exchange/ATM facilities on both sides is better.

6. Food choice and cafe/bars is excellent departure side.

7. Lots of shops available, including a book store.

8. Arrivals immigration is better.

There are a few bad points, but all minor like: toilets, air-con, taxi touts, signposting, information displays, building works, etc. But they will be ironed out in time.

The biggest cause for alarm is the construction faults. I hope that they can be put right.

The new scheme is perfect for me:

Don Muang : for domestic flights.

Allows a really "quick-fast" process. And I live in the north of BKK. Good to organize short trips on week ends.

Suva : for international. I must admit that immigration is better than DM.

Suvarnabhumi for me.

I have travelled through it, in and out twice now and prefer it.

Although it is nearer to Pattaya I shall not cite that as a preference.

1. Excellent modern road to airport.

2. Better drop-off by car.

3. Modern building and large check in areas.

4. Food availability on check in side is better.

5. Banking and exchange/ATM facilities on both sides is better.

6. Food choice and cafe/bars is excellent departure side.

7. Lots of shops available, including a book store.

8. Arrivals immigration is better.

There are a few bad points, but all minor like: toilets, air-con, taxi touts, signposting, information displays, building works, etc. But they will be ironed out in time.

The biggest cause for alarm is the construction faults. I hope that they can be put right.

Pretty much spot on, as usual, Libya, but a few comments.

I liked the banking and exchange facilities at DM better, because there was more variety of different banks. There was an actual branch of Bank of Ayudhya at the airport, and numerous different bank ATMs. I frequently used the Bangkok Bank Quick Deposit machine there to deposit all unused Baht in on my way out. That's not much of an issue anymore for me, being my wife now accompanies me to the airport most times and I leave my Baht with her, but back in my single days I used it all the time. There are still lots of banking options if you take a free shuttle bus to the transportation center, but more of a hassle than at DM. I agree the numbers / availability of ATMs and currency exchange booths seems superior at Suvarnabhumi, it's just the variety and scope that's lacking in the banking facilities.

I agree most of the minor problems should be ironed out in time, with the exception of the taxi touts. By far the easiest problem to solve, and the one that reflects most badly on Thailand for first time visitors, but will likely remain the same if not worse forever due to totally corrupt police and AoT officials who evidently are getting kickbacks from the touts.

Another big plus for Suvarnabhumi is the check-in facilities for THAI passengers flying in business or first class, though that should probably be classified more of an airline advantage than an airport advantage.