Gettingmoney To Thailand From The Uk

Simbo

Before I came to live in Thailand, I banked with Barclays. I was going to use the hole in the wall for my everyday needs. On learning how much they were charging for this service, I checked around.

The Nationwide B.S does not charge for hole in the wall withdrawls ANYWHERE in the world. I have been using this service for more than two years and never paid a penny. When the pound is strong, I take large sums out everyday. If I need to buy something expensive, it doesn't take long to get it together. If you get the Visa card, you can use it to buy goods, it also gives you a balance of your account on the UK. If you get the card that only allows you to get cash, it doesn't give you a balance. The advantage of that one is, if you lose it, it's no use to anyone.

Before I came to live in Thailand, I banked with Barclays. I was going to use the hole in the wall for my everyday needs. On learning how much they were charging for this service, I checked around.

The Nationwide B.S does not charge for hole in the wall withdrawls ANYWHERE in the world. I have been using this service for more than two years and never paid a penny. When the pound is strong, I take large sums out everyday. If I need to buy something expensive, it doesn't take long to get it together. If you get the Visa card, you can use it to buy goods, it also gives you a balance of your account on the UK. If you get the card that only allows you to get cash, it doesn't give you a balance. The advantage of that one is, if you lose it, it's no use to anyone.

Blimey, Simbo, that was quick! I was just going to post the same thing in the thread "Money transfers from the UK" - except my bank was NatWest.

Here are some comparisons of Nationwide vs. National Westminster bank:

10,000 baht: NatWest £162.83, Nationwide £154.23

5,000 baht: NatWest £81.69, Nationwide £77.30

The above figures were true at the end of 2001. I used both cards in the same ATM on the same day and checked the charges when I got back to England.

Thankyou Nationwide! My own money, free! (And "Up yours!" NatWest :o )

This is all in the small print...

Nationwide does NOT charge an FX loading on foreign purchase or cash advances (where most other credit cards / debit cards do). - i.e. You get the Visa rate, not the Visa rate adjusted by something like 2-3%.

Additionally, on the credit card, they only charge 1% for cash advances (nothing on purchases), where other banks charge 2 or more (they used to only charge 0.5%, but I think that's only within the EU now).

So - if you're taking out money in Thailand, Nationwide debit card charges you nothing, and the credit card only charges 1%. i.e. Probably a better FX rate than if you take cash and change it in Thailand. (and we all know to never change money in the UK as the rates are always better in Thailand)

Other banks credit cards charge 2-3% on the cash advance - AND 2-3% on the FX rate. - so anything between 4 and 6% of your money is taken by the bank. (and you pay the FX rate bit even on purchases, not just on cash from the ATM)

This is all in the small print...

Nationwide does NOT charge an FX loading on foreign purchase or cash advances (where most other credit cards / debit cards do). - i.e. You get the Visa rate, not the Visa rate adjusted by something like 2-3%.

Additionally, on the credit card, they only charge 1% for cash advances (nothing on purchases), where other banks charge 2 or more (they used to only charge 0.5%, but I think that's only within the EU now).

So - if you're taking out money in Thailand, Nationwide debit card charges you nothing, and the credit card only charges 1%. i.e. Probably a better FX rate than if you take cash and change it in Thailand. (and we all know to never change money in the UK as the rates are always better in Thailand)

Other banks credit cards charge 2-3% on the cash advance - AND 2-3% on the FX rate. - so anything between 4 and 6% of your money is taken by the bank. (and you pay the FX rate bit even on purchases, not just on cash from the ATM)

That's about what I worked out! My bank statement showed the rate that I got so I calculated that NatWest took a commission of 2.25% and reduced the exchange rate by 3.2%. So you lose about 5 1/2% of your own money for the privilege of taking it out over here.

Thanks a lot Simbo, I've been over here for almost two years and have been using ATMs all over the shop, I'm with hsbc and they are not cheap as you point out. I do have a flex. account with the Nationwide, silly me!!!  CJ.

So you lost 5.5% of all money obtained via ATM over 2 years = between 50,000 and 100,000 baht. :o

• 2 months later...

The Abbey National Abbey Link ATM card doesn't seem to charge anything either, recent transactions (last week) were getting an exchange rate of Baht 75.08 to the Pound without any transaction charges.

The Abbey National Abbey Link ATM card doesn't seem to charge anything either, recent transactions (last week) were getting an exchange rate of Baht 75.08 to the Pound without any transaction charges.

From the Abbey National website

Abbey cash machines or LINK cash machines

No charge

PLUS cash machine withdrawal handling charge

1.5% of the value (minimum £1.50)

Cirrus-badged machines5 withdrawal handling charge

£1 + 1.5% of the value

Visa Debit Card and Visa Electron Card usage outside the UK6

2.25% of the value within Europe

2.75% of the value outside Europe

Visa cash withdrawal handling charge7

From the Abbey National website

Abbey cash machines or LINK cash machines

No charge

PLUS cash machine withdrawal handling charge

Cirrus-badged machines5 withdrawal handling charge

£1 + 1.5% of the value

Visa Debit Card and Visa Electron Card usage outside the UK6

2.25% of the value within Europe

2.75% of the value outside Europe

Visa cash withdrawal handling charge7

We use a Cirrus machine (Thai Farmers Bank ATM) but the exchange rate works out at 75.08 for last week and having just checked the online statement the exchange rate this week is 74.64 to 74.95. If that includes £1 plus 1.5% I'd like to see what my Nationwide card would get me, but currently I've got the Nationwide card in Russia and the wife has the Abbey card in Thailand. :o