Major parties optimistic about Thailand’s future after election

webfact

Major parties optimistic about Thailand’s future after election

%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7-Eng

Representatives of six political parties at the forum on Thailand’s political future organized by Thai PBS on Monday night.

Representatives of six major political parties taking part in a debate forum organized by Thai PBS on Monday night expressed optimism that Thailand will see a smooth political transition after the March-24 general election.

However, some see electoral mechanisms in the Constitution which prolong the political role of the military as an impediment to Thailand’s return to full democracy.

Chaikasem Nitisiri, a prime minister candidate of Pheu Thai Party, vowed to push for what he described as an “anti-coup” law to prevent future military coups. His view was shared by Piyabutr Saengkanokkul of Future Forward Party who also pledged to reform the armed forces to get the military out of politics if his party won the election.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/major-parties-optimistic-about-thailands-future-after-election/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-02-27

1 hour ago, webfact said:

political role of the military as an impediment to Thailand’s return to full democracy.

says it all; thailand is really not ready for anything more than a hybrid democracy, much as moving vehicles got here before thailand was ready for them

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Unless there is a complete turn around in attitude and a eagerness to learn and improve checks and balances to international standards, within the Government and the Constitution, otherwise,  it will be the same old , same old, establishment running a corrupt government.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Representatives of six major political parties taking part in a debate forum organized by Thai PBS on Monday night expressed optimism that Thailand will see a smooth political transition after the March-24 general election..."

Unfortunately, I do not share their optimism.

Everything that we have witnessed in Thailand over the last 4-5 years has been designed to keep the military in power perpetually, and I see no reason to believe that their views or aims have changed. The truly horrible thing is, Thailand will never develop to its potential as long as the military continues its current actions.

Thailand can either shed the soul-sucking, wet-blanket, creativity-killing power of the military, or go into the future as a shadow of its potential while watching her neighbours pass her by.

I truly hope it is the former...

Sadly, I expect it'll be the latter...

Thailand was an emerging economy in 1995, the country was on everyone's lips, it now has deteriorated to an extent that not everyone has much praise., even for some only four letter words, from the heady days of 95 quiet frankly it's a sad scene. 

• Like 2

Curious as to what an anti-coup law would achieve as who would enforce it? They cant even find a department to enforce the proposed dog registration law. 

Yes, many are that stupid. The only difference between the silly ones in now and the silly ones TV members want in is this notion of democracy. The vast majority are in it for power and/or money, they are mostly all the same. Or are we looking at populist politics as 'caring' about the people, rather than just buying votes? The Junta must really love the people if we take away this Western bias towards democracy and extend that 'caring' definition to them also with the food cards, handouts and the like.

Most local elections tell us that Thai works on buying votes, not real democracy. The only way to buy votes is to spend big money that you or the country doesn't have or will struggle to continue to fund in the future. 

Personally, I do not mind who is in power after the election. I do not think Thailand is ready to move forward. Would be a little bit like Obama, promise the world but as everyone else isn't quite there yet then much of it just falls flat on its face. Kind of sets everything back a little bit if you haven't taken the necessary steps and preparation. You end up with an even worse person as people see it as stability (fear dramatic change).

But it is a positive this young billionaire has entered the race, just to at least start some new conversations and offer different perspectives. I think the country needs to slowly change for any 'Western' thinking to be achievable. Thai aren't known for immediately taking to new ways, and the ways many on this forum want would be deemed 'extreme' by many locals. Yes, the younger population would handle it easier, but isn't Thai moving to be an 'aged' population in the next couple of years? Those food cards for the elderly are suddenly looking pretty good. 

Just a different perspective.