Thailand loses its cheap living reputation

EricTh

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised to see Bali well below Chiang Mai, I found it to be quite expensive compared to CM.

But every week there seems to be a new poll about something (cheapest place to retire etc) all with differing results.

All I know is , yes it has become more expensive to live here in the 15 years I have lived here, but hey inflation is a real word and applies everywhere.

I am still happy with prices of goods and services in CM, though finding handymen, builders, painters, carpenters etc has become more challenging, they just don't seem to be around anymore.

Again? How many times must this be discussed? We all know Thailand is expensive because of the strong baht.

We also know that one can live cheaply in a  one room slum with no AC, no hot water, eating mama noodles and street processed glop.

We know that it is expensive to have a nice home, AC, a motor vehicle, a sultry companion and to eat quality food.

mmkay.

18 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Again? How many times must this be discussed? We all know Thailand is expensive because of the strong baht.

We also know that one can live cheaply in a  one room slum with no AC, no hot water, eating mama noodles and street processed glop.

We know that it is expensive to have a nice home, AC, a motor vehicle, a sultry companion and to eat quality food.

mmkay.

CM still much cheaper than the UK. My 3 bed house here is still only 11k/month (275 pounds).

40 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

mmkay.

LOL. For 15,000 a month I lived in a wonderful new hotel with AC, Wi Fi, hot water, cable tv. That's pretty cheap by any standards.

Good Thai food meals available for under 50 baht, or 100 for western food in a restaurant.

The only thing that really got expensive and no cheap alternative is women. I don't know why anyone bar fines them for the prices they are asking any more, and even the bar fines are outrageous.

Of course if one wants to live in a flash condo and eat imported western food, it's going to cost biggly.

depends  what your personal situation is, owning your own condo saves 15-20k  on rent  per  month for "most"  people............also buying  condos for rental 13  years ago @72  baht to the  pound  certainly  helped Mrs Kannot out

23 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Ah yes bring back the 200 baht bar fine.????

OR.......put some effort into learning thai,  getting in shape, being charming...... and you will be surprised how affordable nice ladies are. (within 20 years of your age) . If you want 40 years younger, well...... no comment. 

But, like anything...... if you want it quick and easy you gonna pay more ( and the "job" may even be of lesser quality).      Disclaimer:  I did enjoy 200 baht bar fines in my "youth".....

6 hours ago, Muppet2019 said:

Accommodation, Food (Thai), Transport all 10-20 times cheaper than the UK and you have the sun.

We are comparing south east asian countries with each other and not UK.

Which country in SEA doesn't have the sun?

11 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

In CM, I have a 40 SQM hotel room that includes good WiFi for 100 baht PM, hot water shower, free water, free cable TV, and a big TV. It costs 4000 Pm.

I have a 6000 baht per year membership at a good gym.

Boneless chicken breasts can easily found for 65 baht a kilo.

Good fruits and vegetables are cheap and abundant. [If only the same could be said for our massage girls????]

That's a good deal for 4000 per month. Where's this place?

6000 baht per year? It costs me around 12000 baht per year.

On 2/27/2019 at 4:51 AM, BritManToo said:

CM still much cheaper than the UK. My 3 bed house here is still only 11k/month (275 pounds).

I'm in a 2 bedroom house on stilts by a canal, 6-7 kilometres NW of Bangkok border, 5000 / month.

Electricity + water about 1400 / month

transport / taximeter, dead cheap / skytrain even cheaper

shopping at BigC and fresh markets, prices are up up compared to 5 and 10 years ago,

but not even close to expensive (or European prices)

anything else would be weird

eating/drinking out in Thai establishments - very low cost

ordinary dentistry - very cheap in my view

-----

if you need medicine and/or medical treatment - can be costly indeed

and prices are pointing upwards

-----

did some small shopping at a Makro today

1 kilo ocean shrimps, 1 kilo ocean crabs, 1 kilo hoy wan, 1 kilo hoy lay, 1 kilo of some fish

200 grams blueberry, a moderate heap of misc vegetables, 48 large eggs

1900 baht

I'd say quite affordable

54 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

In CM, I have a 40 SQM hotel room that includes good WiFi for 100 baht PM, hot water shower, free water, free cable TV, and a big TV. It costs 4000 Pm.

I have a 6000 baht per year membership at a good gym.

Boneless chicken breasts can easily found for 65 baht a kilo.

Good fruits and vegetables are cheap and abundant. [If only the same could be said for our massage girls????]

Hows the raw chicken taste?

That's some omlette.

I'm in a 2 bedroom house on stilts by a canal, 6-7 kilometres NW of Bangkok border, 5000 / month.
Electricity + water about 1400 / month

transport / taximeter, dead cheap / skytrain even cheaper

shopping at BigC and fresh markets, prices are up up compared to 5 and 10 years ago,
but not even close to expensive (or European prices)
anything else would be weird

eating/drinking out in Thai establishments - very low cost

ordinary dentistry - very cheap in my view

-----

if you need medicine and/or medical treatment - can be costly indeed
and prices are pointing upwards

-----

did some small shopping at a Makro today
1 kilo ocean shrimps, 1 kilo ocean crabs, 1 kilo hoy wan, 1 kilo hoy lay, 1 kilo of some fish
200 grams blueberry, a moderate heap of misc vegetables, 48 large eggs
1900 baht
I'd say quite affordable

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 2/27/2019 at 11:05 AM, samsensam said:

but it's all relative; as a non drinker and non sexpat bangkok is a fraction as expensive as living a comparable lifestyle back home.

Yeah but even us non drinking non sexpats can rent a well built late model hottie of even the Russian persuation twice a month for a few minutes and do far better than paying for same back home....

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

That's a good deal for 4000 per month. Where's this place?

6000 baht per year? It costs me around 12000 baht per year.

Seriously? the 4k room will be a moldy dump ! what do you expect for 133 baht per night? 

There is cheap and then there is totally slumming it. Not a nice way to see out your golden years

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah but even us non drinking non sexpats can rent a well built late model hottie of even the Russian persuation twice a month for a few minutes and do far better than paying for same back home....

A few minutes? Come on, you disappoint me. I thought you were this fabulous stud, retired from years of servicing bored wives of the rich and famous for USD 10,000 a pop.

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Seriously? the 4k room will be a moldy dump ! what do you expect for 133 baht per night? 

There is cheap and then there is totally slumming it. Not a nice way to see out your golden years

No so. I had a very nice room in Pattaya for 5,000 a month- no mould anywhere, and C M is cheaper than Pattaya. One just needs to know where to look.

8 hours ago, madmen said:

I rented a very nice 2 bed house near Chiang Mai for 5000bht/month. Aircon, water heater nice garden with mango trees.

Sorry, but you appear to have no idea about normal rental prices in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I rented a very nice 2 bed house near Chiang Mai for 5000bht/month. Aircon, water heater nice garden with mango trees.

Sorry, but you appear to have no idea about normal rental prices in Thailand.

In a desirable area? or in a mooban where you need to drive to get to a 7/11

Of course there are 5k rentals , The further from the center the cheaper. You can get a descent 5k room in bangkok 45 mins drive from lower sukhumvit and no BTS in sight

Just now, madmen said:

In a desirable area? or in a mooban where you need to drive to get to a 7/11

Of course there are 5k rentals , The further from the center the cheaper. You can get a descent 5k room in bangkok 45 mins drive from lower sukhumvit and no BTS in sight

There was a mom and pop store 50m from the house, 7-11 was about 300m further.

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Even when trying to take the position of a "resident" it still puzzles me, that Phuket is considered cheaper than Pattaya.

I think possibly if you go to areas where the locals live it is cheaper but in the tourist areas I would say mainly no.  However, in low season I believe hotel prices are lower and accommodation is better.  Pattaya a few years ago was definitely much cheaper but prices have shot up each year and I believe stalls and restaurants are not only inferior to Bangkok but more expensive.  Taxis are a ripoff in Pattaya as are the motorbike taxis who charge double or triple Bangkok fares. 

Archived