alternative to retirement extension

Hi,

I will not be able to afford the monies required to get a yearly extension for retirement

so what

would be the next best thing for me ?

I accept i will have to go on a visa run, but what visa should i get ?

There are a lot of ex pats here under 50 years old, id like to know how they

cope with the visa situation

1 hour ago, minted50 said:

not be able to afford the monies required to get a yearly extension for retirement

ex pats here under 50 years old, id like to know how they cope with the visa situation

I am bit confused by the two statements.

Are you under 50 or is it solely about the money for retirement extension (over 50)?

Over 50:

depending on your personal situation you could consider to do a home country trip every 12 to 15 months. Usually the requirements to obtain a multiple Non-O in the home country are easier.

This would allow you to stay for up to 15 months with just doing border runs every 90 days.

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Usually the requirements to obtain a multiple Non-O in the home country are easier.

Which home country? I would guess most home countries don't give Non-O visas. At least no US embassy or consulate will give Non-O visa. Non-Os are for Thai family and volunteer work. As @ubonjoe mentioned, it seems Penang still gives but it requires some type of financial proof. 

would be the next best thing for me ?

Did you talk to an agent? May be they can find a solution. Don't they exist to handle similar situations?

If you're married or you can make it happen, you could get a Non-O from savannakhet. No financial required.

If you've no attachment with Thailand, you could move to a better country than inhaling smog filled air of Thailand

Edited by onera1961

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Which financial option are you using?

If you can show the 800k baht in any bank or have some basic proof of 65 baht income you may be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa in Penang.

Good aftermorning...I also need a bit of clarification. Long time retired in Thailand and had to leave for 4 years for medical reasons. Moved back recently and attempted a retirement ext. in Krabi a couple days ago. Krabis immigration is a good one and have developed relationships with them from many years of living here. They could not do mine as I had no direct deposit set up yet. I did arrive with my current bank statements from my American credit union showing my income from pension and social security to be a little over 100,000 Baht per month. My problem was more time oriented than money. This first attempt was with a non-O from Kota Bharu. Immigration Krabi gave me a 7 day ext., and told me to simply go get an O-A in Penang. I am reading the requirements and herin lies my confusion. It seems I also need a police clearance and a statement from my US bank. These are about impossible to get timewise if they are even required . So I have a medical cert. from krabi and my bank statements for the last year showing my income, along with all the normal birth ceritificates, house rental agreement, etc. It is the police clearance and bank guarantee from my american bank that has me in a serious tailspin today

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That ain't happening. You are from the USA I believe and that is the only place you can get a Non-Imm OA.

hmmm...pretty sure they do it there...as Ubon Joe just suggested

Edited by bunta71

9 minutes ago, bunta71 said:

Look again. I suggested a multiple entry non-o visa might be possible.

A OA visa can only be issued in home country or country of legal residence.

Edit: What you need to is start making transfers to a bank account here that are equal to or greater than 65k baht for a month or two.

You may be able to get a single entry non-o visa in Kota Bharu by showing the money going into your US bank.

If you can not get the non-o visa then tourist visa would be the next best option and then when you have at least one transfer into your account apply for a change of visa stay to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration.

Edited by ubonjoe

12 minutes ago, bunta71 said:

@ubonjoe suggested Non-O, not O-A. O-A is a different animal altogether. So you have the money but don't have the time. Just follow @ubonjoe's suggestions (apparently immigration also suggested the same thing). 

Edited by onera1961

UBONJOE post 2 the guy said he had no money ? so where would he find 800,000 from on the agent front i did e mail an agent who didnt have the decency to reply, my question was IM can see retirement permits in my passpoirt, i asked if that would raise a red flag with them, my beef is the 400,000 untouched , 

Edited by mercman24

4 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

UBONJOE post 2 the guy said he had no money ? so where would he find 800,000 from

Look again and you will see he wrote this.

3 hours ago, minted50 said:

I will not be able to afford the monies required to get a yearly extension for retirement

so what

I am not sure yet what he meant since has not replied to my post asking what the problem was.