THAI Europe flights resume after cancellations

webfact

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I know of one family with 2 kids that was suppose to fly to Europe last night. They have been booked on a noon flight this Sunday, extending their stay in Thailand by 3 days, but ZERO compensation from Thai Airways.

Did this family (with 2 kids, not sure why you mentioned this) have a travel insurance? If not , why?

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I deleted my mistake. Mixed up directions.

Now there is a first trace of TG going north.

TG916 BKK - LHR

bkklhr.jpg

TG916 left 1 hour 20 minutes late and this detour could be 2 hours (TG910 today is scheduled to take 2 hours longer) so they will struggle to turn it around at Heathrow tonight before the curfew.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

Thai has no obligation to compensate you. It is a situation beyond their control. Read the fine print on your ticket.

The 2004 boxer day tsunami was also not Thai Airways fault, but sometimes a service company just take good care of their most valuable asset, their costumers. 

• Thanks 1

I am checked in for TG910 LHR - BKK today, I am one of the luck ones from yesterday who got on this flight. The flight time is 2 hours longer than normal and it is likely to leave 1 hour late so I will miss my Phuket connecting flight but hey, I will be in Thailand and Thai will get me on another flight as soon as they can.

This is not the airlines fault, many other flights turned around yesterday, you cannot fly through closed air space or over Tibet and they had insufficient fuel for the southern detour.  The exception being BA10 which refueled in Bucharest but BA are a much bigger airline with more resources and clout.

Blame Indian and Pakistani politicians.

Edited by Mises
addition
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

How could you expect help from a multi- billion- dollar airline, even more so: at theit home- hub- airport!

Ridiculous!

:coffee1: 

Is that a typo? Surely you mean a multi-billion-dollar loser airline. 

39 minutes ago, Mises said:

TG916 left 1 hour 20 minutes late and this detour could be 2 hours (TG910 today is scheduled to take 2 hours longer) so they will struggle to turn it around at Heathrow tonight before the curfew.

You can take off and land after midnight at LHR. 5800 are allowed per year for circumstances such as today or bad weather etc.

The flight routing is now clearer. Bangkok - Kunming - Chengdu - Lanzhou - Urumqi then Russia. You might right about 2 hours more flight time. Certainly longer than flying over Dubai etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

"Look ma. a mushroom", said Johnny from beside the window of the plane !

nuclear-explosion-mushroom-cloud-600x480

I was just thinking that.  India and Pakistan hate each other and right now the two countries might literally be on the brink of war and both India and Pakistan have had nuclear weapons since the late 90’s.  I remember when both countries conducted their first nuclear test I believe in 1999.  This could potentially be really bad and I’m surprised the News isn’t more focused on it.  

Right now all they’re talking about on my AIS News channels Fox News, CNN, and others is Trump’s meeting with Kim Jung Un which took place in Hanoi, Vietnam which was a total waste of time.  At least he’s trying something new but you can’t reason with someone like Kim Jung Un who has people tortured and killed literally every day.  He’s worse than his father and grandfather although Kim Jung Un doesn’t have any kids yet maybe if they get rid of him he can be replaced with someone willing to open up North Korea to the world.  I personally didn’t like how friendly Trump was with Kim Jung Un at all referring to him as a “friend”.  I never thought I’d say this but imagine what Fox News would be saying if that had been Obama being so friendly with Kim Jung Un in that case Fox News and CNN would be saying the opposite as they are now since it’s Trump.  I really hate politics especially political news.  

26 minutes ago, tso310 said:

You can take off and land after midnight at LHR. 5800 are allowed per year for circumstances such as today or bad weather etc.

The flight routing is now clearer. Bangkok - Kunming - Chengdu - Lanzhou - Urumqi then Russia. You might right about 2 hours more flight time. Certainly longer than flying over Dubai etc.

I would not want to be flying over that part of the world right now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tso310 said:

Thank you, I did not know that. I do remember once starting the take off roll at 12:05am and wndering how that was possible.

5800 a year is about 15 a day which would seem to make the curfew a bit pointless.

4 hours ago, Prince77 said:

Of course it was specific to THAI. Many other airlines simply re-routed they schedules not via closed air space. .... and this is what THAI actually does now, just with a delay of 48 hours.

I am positive that passengers are entitled to a compensation. Do you think business class-, first class passengers and / or frequent flyers with status would walk away without anything?

What is the safest option?

To go on and take a chance or to return. Most airlines operate with about 1 or 2 hours fuel reserves. Trying to reroute flights already in the air is not that simple.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47392300

With flight space south of Pakistan becoming crowded, the Bangkok-based airline has not been able to establish alternative routes for its flights.

"By closing the airspace, every flight from Thailand to Europe has been affected. For flights that are going to depart this evening, we will call an urgent meeting to consider the impact of such events," said Thai Airways president Sumeth Damrongchaitham.

Singapore Airlines and British Airways are among the operators which have had to reroute flights. Singapore Airlines said longer flight routes would make refuelling necessary.

Alex Seftel, who works as a journalist, was en route from Bangkok to London on Wednesday on a flight with Taiwanese operator Eva Air. The flight was turned back over Calcutta in northern India.

Mark Martin, founder and chief executive at Martin Consulting India, said about 800 flights a day used the India-Pakistan air corridor, making it "very critical".

"You can't overfly China, so you have to overfly Pakistan and India and go to South East Asia and Australia. Most of the traffic destined for Bangkok and Singapore will have to fly over Iran and then possibly take a detour," he said.

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I also seem to remember passengers were taken care of reasonable well a few years back when the giant volcanic ash cloud from Iceland was grounding flight in northern Europe and America for nearly a week.

That cloud was certainly not the airlines fault.

Not so for British Airways .............

2 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

I would not want to be flying over that part of the world right now.

Do you refer to the China/Russia route in particular?

For me safer than all that you normally fly:

Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan..

None of which I feel very safe about.

Ukraine is avoided by most all airlines, thanks heaven.

8 hours ago, SamuiGeezer said:

Hope the passengers are given better treatment than I got from the local ferry company when there were cancellations due to the Tropical Storm Pabuk in January ????, still waiting for a replacement ticket or refund.

Good luck with any kind of refund in Thailand, my own experience is that it doesn't exist.

8 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I know of one family with 2 kids that was suppose to fly to Europe last night. They have been booked on a noon flight this Sunday, extending their stay in Thailand by 3 days, but ZERO compensation from Thai Airways.

No hotel, no taxi/limo from the airport, not even a 100 baht food voucher. Nil, nothing!

Bit low of Thai.

You have to remember Thai Air is run by the government, not the CEO.

The ministers that run the Airline do no have one bit of experience. This is why Thai Air will always be 3rd class. Free flights for all government people and their friends.

• Like 1

As a side;

Seems funny Pakistan it appears does not have any trouble what so ever in locating and shooting down Mig 21s of the Indian Air Force, capturing their pilots yet can not successfully find, attack/capture Islamic terrorist extremists who seem to be training all over Pakistan..? 

• Like 1

topic continues here:

THAI resumes flights to Europe via China airspace

THAI AIRWAYS International (THAI) yesterday resumed its flights from Bangkok to Europe after cancelling some the previous day due to Pakistan’s closure of its airspace.

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1086996-thai-resumes-flights-to-europe-via-china-airspace/

//CLOSED//

/Admin