Charities..

cornishcarlos

Do any of you help out with a local charity in your area ? I was reading the thread about PR and Citizenship, which require some charity donations to be made.. 

I have an aversion to giving cash to any charity collectors as I know that a good percentage will go on administration, which is obviously necessary, or disappear into unscrupulous pockets..

We have a local school for blind kids that is run purely on donations, we don't donate any money but couple times a year do a food supply run consisting of bags of rice, staple goods and fresh veggies, which we know gets used for the purpose we intend. We also once bought about 20 pairs of 2nd hand running shoes for their sports teams !! 

Just wondered if anyone else has a good cause local to them that they help out with, as I'm sure bitching and moaning isn't the only thing expats do...

• Like 1

I think most expats here donate money to poor hungry bar girls and give them a place to sleep too. Most of us are real charitable.????

As a serious not I have never donated to charities as i feel most goes to management and so on. What you did giving rice and food is a good thing at least that is more likely to end up at the right sport. 

Nicely done. 

• Haha 1

Old clothes and stuff we don't want goes to our maid - thats a form of charity I suppose. 

What I would also like to do: once my son outgrows some toys, take him to an orphanage and have him donate a load of his toys to other kids in need and also spend a bit of time playing with them. 

My wife takes part in a handful of Charity events each year. I have been rather slack and instead insist on keeping as much money as possible towards my family and my sons education. 

• Like 1

I tried to do some charitable work and was discouraged as I was told that Thai Immigration considers unpaid charitable work...work.

Use to buy food for old folks homes and children's homes...after being told I did not buy the correct brand of rice...I gave up...but I still contribute to local economy in many ways...

Edited by Puchaiyank
  • Like 2

Every year since a few years back we do a sponsored bike ride for a local orphanage.  We raise enough to fund the orphanage for a week or so every year.  A friend of mine takes a more active role in taking the boys out on a trip to the jungle every year, and we go to their monthly fund-raising lunch a few times each year.   

It's good to see exactly where the money goes, and to give to something local.  If you can be bothered, its nice to give time rather than money.

• Like 1