Malaysia Moves The Goal Posts Yet Again

astral

The Malaysian government has just made it more difficult for people to enter

the Malaysia My Second Home scheme.

Aged over 50 years you now need MYR150,000 (1.5 million baht) in the bank or a government approved

pension of MYR10,000 (100K baht) a month.

Rather steeper than the old requirements and those for LOS. :o

Aged over 50 years you now need MYR150,000 (1.5 million baht) in the bank or a government approved

They have probably hit their quota and like the Thai's now believe that someone under the age of 50 is unable to have the funds to retire. Stupid I know but 'thems der rules!'

The difference between Malaysia and Thailand is thus. Yes it costs 800k to get a retirement visa in Thailand but for that you only get 1 year. For 1.5 million baht and 100k per month you get 10 years in Malaysia. You make your choice. 1 year of uncertainty or 10 years of realtive uncertainty in the next country. I am not sure what you would get back home for that level of pension but cold weather and thugs knocking on your door to steal from you come to mind.

It won't surprise me though when in 1 year Thailand ups it's figure to 1.5 million with 100k per month as well whilst still keeping the visa to 1 year. I usually hate to speculate but if the indications are anything to go by. then this is exactly what will likely happen as they continue to drive towards 'quality' and not quantity in the years ahead.

Edited by Casanundra

Rather steeper than the old requirements and those for LOS. :D

They have probably hit their quota and like the Thai's now believe that someone under the age of 50 is unable to have the funds to retire. Stupid I know but 'thems der rules!'

The difference between Malaysia and Thailand is thus. Yes it costs 800k to get a retirement visa in Thailand but for that you only get 1 year. For 1.5 million baht and 100k per month you get 10 years in Malaysia. You make your choice. 1 year of uncertainty or 10 years of realtive uncertainty in the next country. I am not sure what you would get back home for that level of pension but cold weather and thugs knocking on your door to steal from you come to mind.

It won't surprise me though when in 1 year Thailand ups it's figure to 1.5 million with 100k per month as well whilst still keeping the visa to 1 year. I usually hate to speculate but if the indications are anything to go by. then this is exactly what will likely happen as they continue to drive towards 'quality' and not quantity in the years ahead.

Better not go that way,cause to many thoughts on the same subject makes it to happen more real.So better we just keep thinking positive and that the new governm in place will be overwhelmingly positive as well.

Keep fingers crossed. :o

According to xe.com converter,

[

b]150,000.00 MYR = 42,837.54 USD [/b]

Malaysia Ringgits United States Dollars

1 MYR = 0.285584 USD 1 USD = 3.50160 MYR

Not such a huge sum, these days (though of course not inconsequential, either, esp. if you have been living in Asia for a while.)

So I think it must be AND the monthly income, not OR.

Correct ?

I don't really see why a westerner would want to live in an Islamic state anyway.

Maybe that's why so many Brits are leaving the soon to be Islamic Republic of the UK.

I wouldn't want to live in an Islamic state, that's for sure...

I don't really see why a westerner would want to live in an Islamic state anyway.

Maybe that's why so many Brits are leaving the soon to be Islamic Republic of the UK.

A lot of them are moving to Dubai, another Islamic state with more hookers/km2 than Nana. :o Bit more expensive though.

What were the old requirements?

Was it 100k with no age distinction?

edit amount

Seems clearly they have an idea what funds are required by someone under 50.

i) Aged Below 50 years old

* Open a fixed deposit account of RM300,000.00.

* After a period of one year, the participant can withdraw up to RM240,000.00 for approved expenses relating to house purchase, education for children in Malaysia and medical purposes.

* Must maintain a minimum balance of RM60,000.00 from second year onwards and throughout stay in Malaysia under this programme

Edited by percy2

Must be getting ready for the exodus of foreigners from Thailand.

As reported the 90 day visa is being used by many to work illegal, mostly from China, India and Pakistan, nothing mentioned about farang on the post.

Who says Malaysia is an Islamic state? The Malaysian constitution doesn't.

Suppose one has only 7000/ month in pension. Can you make it up by depositing 3/10 of the 150000 required if you were not using a pension. As one can do in Thailand?

I wouldn't want to live in an Islamic state, that's for sure...

Have you ever been there ? It is a very pleasant country, Saudi or Iran it is NOT.

Naka.