Visa/exemption options

Hi all. Brief background.

My partner has an non immigrant B visa and work permit. We are not yet married, otherwise I would be eligible for a Spouse visa.

• Oct 2018: Arrived in Thailand on a 60 day SETV from the UK. 
  • Dec 2018: Extended SETV by 30 days at immigration
  • Dec 2018: Left Thailand - 2 week holiday Malaysia & Singapore
  • Jan 2109: Entered Thailand at Suvarnabhumi from Singapore on 30 day exemption stamp
  • Feb 2019: Extended exemption stamp by 30 days at immigration
  • Mar 2019: Need to leave Thailand - exemption stamp runs out
  • Apr 2019: I intend to start at a Thai language school in mid March to continue my learning and obtain an ED visa

I intend to leave Thailand for a week or so (I own a small business in Europe & work remotely) and then re-enter as I don't want to spend my entire weekend doing a 'visa run'. My understanding is that the language school will take up to 3 weeks to process my ED visa application when I will then have to travel outside of Thailand to 'Activate' the visa (They have advised that I go to Vientiane to do this).

My understanding is that given I have stayed in Thailand for a few months on SETV and exemptions that I would be better off travelling across a land border due to the unlikely but not impossible chance of me being refused entry leading to a holding cell then back on an aircraft to my previous destination? I also need to travel somewhere where I can work effectively (fast internet) during the week which based on my research rules out Vientiane.

The best option given the above suggests that Penang by train would be a good choice (90 day stamp on arrival (UK passport), good work spaces, Thai consulate & land border)? However I have been to Penang several times before & would prefer to see somewhere different. I could take the train to Chiang Mai but would then have to do a same day 'visa run' to Mae Sai for an exemption & back to work from Chiang Mai so a lot of travelling.

Or am I being over cautious and will be fine to take a flight to Vietnam, Hong Kong etc. and come back in to Suvarnabhumi/Don Mueng?

Also would you advise always getting an SETV over an exemption stamp even if I don't need more than 30 days as I will be leaving the country again to 'activate' the ED visa?

Thanks

• Like 1

There are many border crossing where you could get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Where you are living would help to know so we could suggest one.

From Bangkok for example there is the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing in Kanchanaburi to Myanmar that is good. Or the crossing at Ban Laem to Cambodia, Both are day trips to do a out/in. A organized run is available for both those crossings.

54 minutes ago, Hardgraf said:

Yes Sorry, based in Northern Bangkok

You will get all sorts of advice. Always listen to guys like ubonjoe. 

IMHO at some point (coming soon) entries at bkk airports will be problematic. Try and stick to border entries. Your in bkk, loas is good option with cheap flights from air Asia lion etc. Udon thani onto Vientiane just one option. 

Bear in mind that you can safely fly out. It is your return where you are better off arriving by land (especially for a visa exempt entry). Thus, if you really wanted to go to, say, Yangon or Hanoi, it would be feasible to fly there and return overland.

Internet access in Vientiane was terrible a few years ago, but is not too bad now if you choose the right place to work.

If you just need a one month tourist entry to tide you over until ready to apply for the Non Ed visa, follow @ubonjoe's advice and do a visa exempt entry. From Northern Thailand, Mae Sai in the far north and Maesot in Tak province are good choices.

When going to Vientiane for the Non Ed visa, do research on good places to get the fast Internet connection you need.

• Like 1

First of all ,BritTim gives good advice. Having said that border entry into Thailand from anywhere from Vietnam is just going to be a nightmare. Even from Saigon. Personally I would be going for borders adjacent to los. LAOS would be my choice. If refused visa exempt you can turn around and try setv. Not so easy at bok airports. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

Thanks guys, extremely helpful. It sounds like the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing would be by far the most convenient from BKK however on researching it appears that you cannot get an exemption stamp there?

Unfortunately I need a reliable fast internet connection (daily video meetings with colleagues in Europe) so after a lot of research not willing to take the chance of trying to work in Vientiene which is annoying.

I'd love to go to Saigon but assume that travelling back to Thailand overland would be quite arduous & time consuming?

Edited by Hardgraf

32 minutes ago, Hardgraf said:

Thanks guys, extremely helpful. It sounds like the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing would be by far the most convenient from BKK however on researching it appears that you cannot get an exemption stamp there?

You found some very old info. They can be done there now. It has been possible for a long time now.

• Like 1

So I plan to go to Vientiane after all. Bought my train ticket to Nong Khai, changed up some Kip & US dollars, got home & packed.

I then quickly checked the Vientiane Thai embassy website. It appears that as of February 2019 they no longer accept 'walk-ins' for visa applications and you have to book an online appointment. I then attempted to book said online appointment and of course there are no available slots showing for the entire week...

So it looks like I will be unable to obtain an SETV however I have bought tickets, booked hotel etc. Am I still able to come back through the friendship bridge & obtain a 30 day exemption stamp? This would be my first overland exemption.  

Thanks

1 hour ago, Hardgraf said:

So it looks like I will be unable to obtain an SETV however I have bought tickets, booked hotel etc. Am I still able to come back through the friendship bridge & obtain a 30 day exemption stamp? This would be my first overland exemption.  

The appointment requirement started in on February 1st. Others have found there are none until the 19th.

No problem to get a 30 day visa exempt entry since you have not already done 2 of them this year.