Italian couple crushed to death by oil tanker in southern Thailand

webfact

On 3/1/2019 at 5:14 PM, Nsp64 said:

Maybe it really was brake failure, although I doubt it.

I think the maintainable schedule on hazardous chemical vehicles is much stricter. 

SPEED !  just look  at those rear tyres, the tanker was starting to tip before it got to the intersection, he was obviously speeding.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:00 PM, hkt83100 said:

To me it looked like both are riding on then main road, the tanker doing a left turn and the motorbike doing a right turn.  So the motorbike should have waited for the truck to make his turn in the smaller road and follow then. But I might have bad eyes or misinterpreted the video. Anyway, my post was based on what I have seen on CCTV.

Probably bad eyes, if you are driving, get it fixed.  Tanker should have given way to his right, but he was going too fast

On 3/2/2019 at 10:35 AM, connda said:

Personally I don't even think even the police understand the rules of right-of-way, and if any Thai actually does understand those rules 99% of them don't bother to abide by those rules.  Take entering a primary thoroughfare from a side road such as this truck did.  The driver entering the thoroughfare is required to yield, and if there is a stop sign they are required to stop - well, at least in first world countries.  The majority of Thai drivers will enter the thoroughfare without stopping, slowing, or yielding, and instead will simply barge their way in front of oncoming traffic.  If they cause an accident then they will simply say, "Brake failure" or they will attempt to assign fault to the vehicle who does have legal right-of-way.  "I pull out from side street onto main road.  Car coming down main road no slow down for me.  I in front so it my road.  Bad driver no slow down on main road to let me in.  I in front...not my fault."  That's how they think. They don't think like, "I enter main road from side road - I must yield to oncoming traffic on main road." The engineers who designed Thai roads know the law I'm sure, but not the average citizens or the average clueless police.  Or if they do know the laws, they ignore them.  The end result?  Unending carnage.

I really don't think that Thais know who has right of way. I cannot remember how many times i have stopped at a roundabout giving way to traffic from my right, and everybody else stops too. Or the guy behind me starts hooting.  grrrrr !

Edited by Huckenfell

22 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I've been driving for the first time in Thailand this year.

Generally speaking, when there is congestion, I drive more cautiously than my wife.

And when the road is clear ahead, I'm driving @ 90-100.

But yeah, I pay very close attention to the big trucks, same as America.

Think about it, how smart do you have to be to drive a truck? ????

Are you implying all truck drivers are idiots?  Any driver of a vehicle that size needs to be on the ball, well trained and reasonably bright - let's not get confused between educated and intelligent.  There are many skills, and training required to be safely in control of any HGV (regardless of country) and totally different to driving a car.  Having driven many '000s of miles on Thai roads I can say that, to be fair, Thai truck drivers are not that bad in the main and reasonably responsible when compared to their people carrying (car, bus, minivan, taxi, motorbike) counterparts. 

Quite odd that there are more controls for carrying goods than humans, oh hang on, life is cheap in The Kingdom.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, tlandtday said:

Really you didn't happen to notice any excessive speeding on behalf of the truck driver.  Too bad we didn't have audio because if brakes failed I would think it natural for a driver to hit the horn.

Diving and sounding the horn at the same time? These people would have difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time!

I really don't think that Thais know who has right of way. I cannot remember how many times i have stopped at a roundabout giving way to traffic from my right, and everybody else stops too. Or the guy behind me starts hooting.  grrrrr !

I’m sure you realise that there are not that many roundabouts in Thailand so generally most drivers are not aware of the “give way to the right” rule and in fact it is the cars actually on the roundabout that must give way so that is why the guy behind you was hooting as you had right of way and the vehicle on the roundabout should give way as you enter
Crazy but that’s how it is

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would also say that here in Thailand the rules for driving bare no relation to how they are say in Europe or the US
One should always remember that the me me attitude means very few other road users will yield or give way
Sensible filtering at busy junctions is non existent and the attitude that other road users can and will pull out from a left turn without looking and recklessly change lanes for no apparent reason again without looking or signalling as it seems the general rule is that it is your responsibility to avoid them when they pull out in front of you, jump red lights or make any other crazy unexpected(to a normal person) manoeuvre
Unfortunately this phenomenon is not fully understood by visitors
With often tragic results
I have a pickup and a big bike and I drive/ride on the basis that everyone else on the road is trying to kill me!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect