Italian couple crushed to death by oil tanker in southern Thailand

webfact

The bike goes over the hatched area, which should be kept clear, this area is stepped out from the junction to provide an entry slip road to join the main carriage way. On a 'normal' day this possibly wouldn't be a problem, if the vehicle joining slowed down or stopped.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I find  your reply born of pure ignorance but I'm not surprised.

"The truck or any vehicle is supposed to stop or at least slow down on reaching that juncture. That gives oncoming traffic an chance to react. Slow down or to change lane."

You just don't get it I think.

What they are "supposed" to do doesn't matter.    What they in fact do do  is what matters!

GEE..    I hope that clear enough for you.

Thanks for your reply none the less.

It's clear that your posts are sanctimonious cr*p.

Of course it's easy to say what could have occurred. But this is about what did occur. I will remember your post when something happens to you.

The fact is the victims did nothing wrong. Unless you think everyone should potter around at 30 kmph and slow down at every side street. 

Even defensive drivers can have accidents through no fault of their own.

12 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Please drive defensively and anticipate the unknown.

Are you a clairvoyant or just trying to sound smart ?

Nobody can anticipate the unknown.

I did not watch the video, but it appears from the comments that the victims should not be blamed.

I agree on driving defensively, but one can't drive defensively enough on these roads.

I know this junction and I can say, just by observing the video,

the tanker driver did come in too fast, and should have put on the

brakes (and geared down) some 80-100 metres before, but that will not

happen in the land of Me, Me, Me! Anyone here (a few!) who blame the

bike riders, please, stay far away from me when I`m out driving!

Remember the truck in Jomtien last year, who came in to fast on a similar junction,

and tipped over with his container and crushed a car? The car driver

survived, thanks to his fast reaction to bend down inside the car.

The funny(?!) thing is, we will never hear ONE more word about this!

There are NEVER any updates on stories like this. It`s already not

news anymore, sadly to say!

RIP, you guys!!, and if you see any Thais on your cloud up there (not likely!),

kick them in the butt!!    

9 minutes ago, warrima said:

Think your being hard on Hooliganzone mate. He makes a valid point. When the moto first comes into frame it is in LH lane for turning left.  They then swerve into the central lane when they see the truck. Its possible they were in two minds about where they were going - they are Tourists after all and likely going no where in particular or following a dodgy tourist map. 

The truck driver is absolutely in the wrong - no debate - but you have to take care of your own safety here, no one else will. Driving here for years id have seen the yellow junction sign 100 yards up the road and prepared - likely went into the RH lane. There's a similar junction to this near me (with the merging lane) and trucks go left without stopping all the time. 

I would not advise any tourist to ride or drive here. Rules don't apply. 

Nope, not being hard. Your synopsis is wrong. They were on the left hand line of the middle lane;

Italians1.png.f56d0ae512c0b00e39297048ac876f6a.png

Which is exactly where they are supposed to be. It seems a few are confused.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver said as he approached the junction the brakes didn’t work properly causing him to lose control of the tanker, which resulted in it overturning and landing on top of the couple.

So again it is about lack of maintaining of the truck so it should be truck company responsibility to pay for everything 

So sad ending of young people 

RIP 

8 minutes ago, roo860 said:

The bike goes over the hatched area, which should be kept clear, this area is stepped out from the junction to provide an entry slip road to join the main carriage way. On a 'normal' day this possibly wouldn't be a problem, if the vehicle joining slowed down or stopped.

What are you talking about now??

They were right on the line of the middle lane. Which was exactly the right place for safe driving.

You show me where they drove over the hatched area. Making things up? Why?

Italians1.png.abb9bc263308c4db2b5dfbddcef97821.png607494852_Italians2.png.97246c33d3974964c6dc7d5be9b41212.png764435505_Italians3.jpg.cb54a641e6191320151a2648ef242aaf.jpg

41 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

OK that settles it.

"Right of way in Thailand"..  ????

Again had the Moto driver not been TOO late in reacting as one poster suggested and rather  anticipated with defensive driving, he and his partner would not have had the accident.     Simple enough.    Please drive defensively and anticipate the unknown.

RIP to the couple and condolences to friends and relatives.

More nonsense from you. Just pie in the sky. 

Why not play the video in real time and then come back with an intelligent response?

7 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

it makes me sad but angry that safety has no place in Thailand

It makes me angry that a few here are trying to shift the blame to the victims. They will try to deny it, but it is exactly what they are doing.

The Italian, to me, appears to be driving defensively and sensibly. To the left of the middle lane, so as to not block traffic in the middle lane. Enough time to move to the fast lane without falling off or skidding on seeing the truck blocking their path.

So definitely not going to fast themselves.

It's a tragic accident caused wholly by the tanker driver and it annoys me to see that a few no so smart people are trying to defame the victims.

I think this country needs an overhaul of all the brake systems on all vehicles country wide.

As every single accident where a Thai is at fault they blame the brakes. 

It’s absolutely nothing to do with them losing face for being in the wrong for ‘once’ in their life.  

RIP to the two poor tourists. 

The truck guy was going to fast for the load/rig he was driving to take a 90 degree turn...The guy should also have been looking for traffic coming down the road he was turning into.....

Two lives lost via daft driving by someone who should know better...

3 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Don't agree with you pal, they are on the hatched area. Doesn't matter by how much.

So what is your point? That they touched the hatched area momentarily and that was the reason for the accident?

Sorry but that is just imbecilic.

The fact that they kept to the left of the middle lane shows that they were driving defensively. 

A confident rider perhaps would sit in the middle of the middle lane. They kept to the left and probably followed the line all the way seeing as they may be used to driving on the other side of the road.

I don't see your point in mentioning it at all. It has nothing to do with anything.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

The truck guy was going to fast for the load/rig he was driving to take a 90 degree turn...The guy should also have been looking for traffic coming down the road he was turning into.....

You know they Thai way is often to turn left first and think later. So the truck driver decided to take the chance of just pulling out without even slowing down.

I'm not sure how he hoped to make that bend even without any traffic on the road. He certainly could not have stayed in the 'merging lane'.

I don't think it was brake failure, but brain failure, as suggested earlier. 

Unfortunately no consolation for the Italians and their families.

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Should have, yes.

As I'm sure many others here will agree, motorcyclists normally get no consideration whatsoever. Although I expect that to be the situation when driving, I think I'm probably risking my life when I sound my motorbike horn when a vehicle pulls out in front of me. Find it difficult not to do that.

I suppose it will be difficult to keep doing it after I've been shot/stabbed by the irate driver I had the nerve to criticise.

So what is your point? That they touched the hatched area momentarily and that was the reason for the accident?  

Sorry but that is just imbecilic.

The fact that they kept to the left of the middle lane shows that they were driving defensively. 

A confident rider perhaps would sit in the middle of the middle lane. They kept to the left and probably followed the line all the way seeing as they may be used to driving on the other side of the road.

I don't see your point in mentioning it at all. It has nothing to do with anything.

You can have difference of opinion with someone, You can also keep it civil. Also I'm not blaming the victims so you cut that out, OK.  

21 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

No fault of your own???

Do you drive???

Imagine you're the motorcycle driver, and this big ass vehicle is coming in from your left onto your street, would you not immediately either slow down to get behind it, or speed up to go in front of it????

I'm sorry, but you simply can not drive in Thailand (or any third world country) like you do at home, you have to be a little bit careful and pro-active to avoid this type of sad ending.

I feel for these two and their families, but wish they had driven a little more sensibly.

RIP.

If you review the footage they proceeded through the intersection then even slowed down when it appeared the truck was crossing into their lane.  Little would anyone expect the idiot to be going so fast he tips the cargo.  Your argument is bogus.

My bad, I reviewed the footage, at different speeds.

What happened is that the motorcyclist DID slow down, putting him right next to the overturning tanker.

As things were happening way too quickly, I don't really see any EASY way of getting out this situation for the hapless couple.

But it is EXTREMELY CLEAR that the tanker did go RIGHT THROUGH a very clear (and almost new) STOP SIGN (viewed from Google Maps) without even slowing down!!!

If there is any law in Thailand, that driver HAS to be found guilty of vehicular manslaughter, and should spend the rest of his days locked up.

Condolences to the family.

Having a medium truck driving license I can see straight away that the truck turns in way too tight, he should have been making the turn from the far right and then to the left. One the big differences between driving a car or a bus / truck is exactly this, impossible for him not to know.

If you turn in tight like this, with a lenghty and heavy vehicle, the backside will come out hard and cause over turn.
He is guilty and it is also impossible to blame this on the brakes.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

How about staying on-topic?

You tell me why you mentioned that they touched the 'hatched area' and why it has any bearing on this tragedy.

In fact you wrote that their bike "goes over the hatched area" and then go on to write "which should be kept clear", which is utter crud. They just touched the corner of it and ran along the outside line of it. So what is your point exactly?

Or did you think that you were being smart by making an issue of it?

Yes,to put it in simple English, he was lying..

The question really is-why do so many of them pathologically lie?

Until that is cleared up (ie banged in the slammer) the Thai will continue to lie on each and every occassion without compunction,remorse or ANY DISCERNIBLE CHANGE IN BEHAVIOUR..the postives far outway the negatives..(in Thai society)

Archived