Italian couple crushed to death by oil tanker in southern Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, high plane drifter said:

If you want to commit  suicide , don't do it yourself, just come on a holiday to Thailand and ,,,,,drive around for one hour,,,that will be it,,,

this is meant to be sarcastic...unfortunately, is almost correct..

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Is somebody still updating that site? I would have thought they would have got bored of it or snowed under with reports.

Seems so, last update 18h ago, but also seems to be missing quite a few.

Italian couple crushed to death by oil tanker in southern Thailand

2.jpg.ff151fdb4a15815894bda5adb13819cd.jpg
Picture: Thai Rath

An Italian couple were killed after an oil tanker overturned at a junction in Chumphon on Thursday.

The couple named as Giuliano De Santis, 42, and Ilaria Rizzo, 37, were travelling by motorcycle along the Pak Nam Road in Pak Nam Subdistrict when an oil tanker lost control and overturned crushing the couple.

Police and rescue workers were called to the scene of the accident at 4.30pm on Thursday where they found the 10 wheel Isuzu had overturned, spilling thousands of litres of fuel over the road.

3.jpg.afd56bd7b82fcca765349eed3e7c57c2.jpg
Picture: Thai Rath

The 64 year old driver of the tanker, who was unhurt, said he had been hired to deliver fuel to gas stations in Chumphon province.

He said he had more than ten years experience driving trucks and had never had an accident before.

The driver said as he approached the junction the brakes didn’t work properly causing him to lose control of the tanker, which resulted in it overturning and landing on top of the couple.

However, a witness told police that he saw the tanker approach the junction at speed and attempt to make a left turn, which is when the vehicle overturned.

The witness said initially he wasn’t aware that anyone else was involved in the accident as he quickly took his grandchildren away from the scene as he could see large amounts of fuel spilling out onto the road.

Police said the Italian couple had arrived in Thailand on 21 February and were here on holiday. Manager reported that another foreign couple, believed to friends of the deceased, were travelling behind the couple when the accident occured.

Police added that it took nearly two hours to clean the road of the fuel and recover the overturned vehicle.

The driver has been held pending further investigations.

Source: Thai Rath

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc
-- [emoji2398] Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-01   [/url]
The poor couple that died were not fully without care driving wide round the corner and getting too close to the tanker why didnt they let it pass first seeing that it had right of way and passed it after on the straight road

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Tanker driver went straight through a STOP sign at speed.

Very well spotted there Briggsy.

I see it's only apparent through using Google Maps and looking at the road the tanker approached on.

I know it's pointless mentioning this, but I just can't help myself: There is no continuous line marking on the road, that you'd expect associated with the stop sign, to indicate exactly where to stop.

1 minute ago, Hooliganzone said:

The poor couple that died were not fully without care driving wide round the corner and getting too close to the tanker why didnt they let it pass first seeing that it had right of way and passed it after on the straight road

This has been explained multiple times on this thread.

Firstly the video is in slow motion not actual speed.

Secondly the Italian couple were in the correct lane with the right of way.

Thirdly the tanker driver came through a red STOP sign at speed.

Fourthly the junction only allows a limited view of vehicles entering from the left so the Italian couple would have had sight of the tanker and time to react for less than 2 seconds.

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

There is no continuous line marking on the road

If you go back to Google Maps you will see there is a dashed line, very worn out, indicating the give way point for vehicles turning left.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Very well spotted there Briggsy.

I see it's only apparent through using Google Maps and looking at the road the tanker approached on.

I know it's pointless mentioning this, but I just can't help myself: There is no continuous line marking on the road, that you'd expect associated with the stop sign, to indicate exactly where to stop.

He knew where to stop. Do you imagine that was his first ever time on that route?

2 minutes ago, Tonybeerd said:

He was speeding he should have been down through the gears to 10 mph . Also they have exhaust braking . Surprised the bike didn't try to brake harder he seemed to try to go around the truck ? RIP 

You are watching the CCTV video in slow mo....

22 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he had more than ten years experience driving trucks INCORRECTLY and had never had an accident before.

corrected editorial error for the  gullible

This has been explained multiple times on this thread.

Firstly the video is in slow motion not actual speed.

Secondly the Italian couple were in the correct lane with the right of way.

Thirdly the tanker driver came through a red STOP sign at speed.

Fourthly the junction only allows a limited view of vehicles entering from the left so the Italian couple would have had sight of the tanker and time to react for less than 2 seconds.
They turned right across into the junction and wide going partly over the the white triangle as if they decided to to turn at the last minute or too quickly the tanker was turning left on its correct side and forward of the bike that should of given wat to something so big the fault is fully with the tanker driver 10 years experience driving trucks but a tanker full of liquid does not handle the same as a truck but the I feel bike was neglectful and lacked bike riding experience especially here.
Driving is not all about right of way especially here in Thailand its about using your head and eyes and taking care which from the video the bike did not do by getting too close to the Tanker.

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

If you go back to Google Maps you will see there is a dashed line, very worn out, indicating the give way point for vehicles turning left.

Crikey, can I borrow your glasses!

After looking I can just see three short very washed out pieces, the longest no more than perhaps twelve inches, but yes they're there.

To be associated with a stop sign, it should be a continuous line.

A dashed line is only for a give way sign IIRC.

Or does that not apply here - the same as ensuring that road marking are visible, not that many take notice of them.

Thousands litres of fuel spill on the road and a bunch of people standing next to it? All it takes is just a spark from a cell phone to instant roast these people, it happened to many incidents around the world already. If you see the fuel truck overturn and spills gasoline and if you love your life then stay away as far as possible. i repeat: DO NOT GO NEAR IT!

Comparing the distance covered by both, at a very rough guess I'd say the the truck was moving about twice the speed of the m/c.  Very tragic indeed. My condolences to the Italian's families.

36 minutes ago, Hooliganzone said:

They turned right across into the junction and wide going partly over the the white triangle as if they decided to to turn at the last minute or too quickly the tanker was turning left on its correct side and forward of the bike that should of given wat to something so big the fault is fully with the tanker driver 10 years experience driving trucks but a tanker full of liquid does not handle the same as a truck but the I feel bike was neglectful and lacked bike riding experience especially here.
Driving is not all about right of way especially here in Thailand its about using your head and eyes and taking care which from the video the bike did not do by getting too close to the Tanker.

Is there something wrong with you?

There is no right turn into the junction from the bike rider's perspective. 

....and at least try to learn to use punctuation. Trying to read your incomprehensible writings is bad enough. Only to realise it's a load of rubbish at the end.

Look at the map before you decide to write such nonsense again. There were in the correct lane.

The truck, which is supposed to STOP at the junction before turning left to merge with traffic, did nothing of the sort and simply acted as if it had right of way, coming out of the side road at speed.

There is no onus on the bike to stop or even slow down at that juncture.

Take a look;  

Bike rider's approach

Truck driver's approach

See the difference and understand that your synopsis is totally inaccurate.

There is no way for the motorbike rider to even see the truck until he reaches the junction and by then it is too late. 

If the truck had stopped or slowed down, the bike rider would have time to react. It did neither. It flew around the corner at speed and directly into the path of the motorcycle, who would not have seen it coming until he actually reached the junction.

Why else do you think the truck driver is claiming brake failure?

Please at least try to engage your brain before clicking Submit.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

You can state it, but you weren't there. The CCTV video is slowed down. Two seconds from the truck entering the video to crushing the riders.

The rider probably didn't notice or realise until too late, as he had clear right of way. Perhaps if the truck driver had sounded the horn in advance..... Hindsight is a wonderful thing....

"The rider probably didn't notice or realise until too late"

Defensive driving relies heavily on anticipating the actions of vehicles and pedestrians nearby or in the distance.    

Yes, I wasn't there but regardless of the speed of the video, I  know for certain I  would have slowed down so as to avoid being near this truck.

I drive a car and I would have made the same avoidance maneuver in the car that the moto should have made.   I do whatever  I must to avoid accidents.    

Saving time is not at all  important.    Arriving safely  at one's destination is all  important to me..

Have a great day.

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

How have people concluded that the video is not in real time? The video has a time stamp. Why is that not accurate?

because about 8 seconds in real time pass for 1 second to elapse on the video.

Very tragic accident but ,one thing i dont understand, is that when you are driving your scooter and you see the truck coming from the left, you can in my mind see what speed it is going. and then still want to pass it on the right side is a bit stupid. a lot of people can't read traffic .every normal thinking person would have redused speed and let the truck take the turn, just to keep on going on your way following it from behind and the pass it on the straight. but thats what i would have done still very tragic, and rip to the italians .

Just now, watcharacters said:

"The rider probably didn't notice or realise until too late"

Defensive driving relies heavily on anticipating the actions of vehicles and pedestrians nearby or in the distance.    

Yes, I wasn't there but regardless of the speed of the video, I  know for certain I  would have slowed down so as to avoid being near this truck.

I drive a car and I would have made the same avoidance maneuver in the car that the moto should have made.   I do whatever  I must to avoid accidents.    

Saving time is not at all  important.    Arriving safely  at one's destination is all  important to me..

Have a great day.

Sorry but you are writing a load of old nonsense. Speed the video up to 8x to get the video in real time.

The truck or any vehicle is supposed to stop or at least slow down on reaching that juncture. That gives oncoming traffic an chance to react. Slow down or to change lane.

The bike has no onus to slow down as it is on a straight road. The bike sees nothing ahead at the junction and carries on proceeding normally.

On reaching the junction a truck appears suddenly, giving them time only to swerve out of the way. But it's useless as the tanker takes up ALL of the road.

So he did drive defensively, as he had time to change path without falling off the bike. Unfortunately the tanker literally swept across the whole road.

So let's drop the rather sickening, "I am a super driver and would have avoided being crushed if it were me."

It's just inappropriate.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

the Italian couple were in the correct lane with the right of way.

OK that settles it.

"Right of way in Thailand"..  ????

Again had the Moto driver not been TOO late in reacting as one poster suggested and rather  anticipated with defensive driving, he and his partner would not have had the accident.     Simple enough.    Please drive defensively and anticipate the unknown.

RIP to the couple and condolences to friends and relatives.

5 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Sorry but you are writing a load of old nonsense. Speed the video up to 8x to get the video in real time.

The truck or any vehicle is supposed to stop or at least slow down on reaching that juncture. That gives oncoming traffic an chance to react. Slow down or to change lane.

The bike has no onus to slow down as it is on a straight road. The bike sees nothing ahead at the junction and carries on proceeding normally.

On reaching the junction a truck appears suddenly, giving them time only to swerve out of the way. But it's useless as the tanker takes up ALL of the road.

So he did drive defensively, as he had time to change path without falling off the bike. Unfortunately the tanker literally swept across the whole road.

So let's drop the rather sickening, "I am a super driver and would have avoided being crushed if it were me."

It's just inappropriate.

I find  your reply born of pure ignorance but I'm not surprised.

"The truck or any vehicle is supposed to stop or at least slow down on reaching that juncture. That gives oncoming traffic an chance to react. Slow down or to change lane."

You just don't get it I think.

What they are "supposed" to do doesn't matter.    What they in fact do do  is what matters!

GEE..    I hope that clear enough for you.

Thanks for your reply none the less.

23 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I've uploaded the video file here

Download it and play it on your media player speeded up 8x and you'll understand how quickly it happened, for those who keep talking about the motorcyclist not slowing quickly enough to avoid.

Think your being hard on Hooliganzone mate. He makes a valid point. When the moto first comes into frame it is in LH lane for turning left.  They then swerve into the central lane when they see the truck. Its possible they were in two minds about where they were going - they are Tourists after all and likely going no where in particular or following a dodgy tourist map. 

The truck driver is absolutely in the wrong - no debate - but you have to take care of your own safety here, no one else will. Driving here for years id have seen the yellow junction sign 100 yards up the road and prepared - likely went into the RH lane. There's a similar junction to this near me (with the merging lane) and trucks go left without stopping all the time. 

I would not advise any tourist to ride or drive here. Rules don't apply. 

I find  your reply born of pure ignorance but I'm not surprised.

"The truck or any vehicle is supposed to stop or at least slow down on reaching that juncture. That gives oncoming traffic an chance to react. Slow down or to change lane."

You just don't get it I think.

What they are "supposed" to do doesn't matter.    What they in fact do do  is what matters!

GEE..    I hope that clear enough for you.

Thanks for your reply none the less.

Your right he just dont get it, use your head here, "right of way" you got to be joking here if I tjought about that O would have been brow bread many times over in Thailand.

Archived