EU ready to give Britain more guarantees 'backstop' is temporary: Barnier

rooster59

11 hours ago, smedly said:

there are only about 6 EU countries that account for 90% of trade with the UK and Ireland is well down the list although Ireland does use UK roads infrastructure and ports to trade into mainland EU 

UK is rather high on Ireland's list.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

let me correct you - Ireland trade with the UK - for the UK it is tiny in the scheme of things and I mean seriously tiny to the point that it matters absolutely nothing 

Irelands total yearly GDP would be about 6 weeks of the UK, and their total GDP is very much with the UK - they are really pissing off a market that they really do not need to piss off, if it was up to me I would totally cut off trade with the Republic of Ireland and see how they manage with that, N Ireland trade 80% with the UK mainland - they wouldn't miss it either

reality check

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

yes they are - pity they chose the path they are taking, like I said above - I would be very vindictive and cut them off completely as far as trade is concerned

some reality hardball needs to be played

what is going on will not be forgotten

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, smedly said:

let me correct you - Ireland trade with the UK - for the UK it is tiny in the scheme of things and I mean seriously tiny to the point that it matters absolutely nothing 

Irelands total yearly GDP would be about 6 weeks of the UK, and their total GDP is very much with the UK - they are really pissing off a market that they really do not need to piss off, if it was up to me I would totally cut off trade with the Republic of Ireland and see how they manage with that, N Ireland trade 80% with the UK mainland - they wouldn't miss it either

reality check

I was meaning that the UK is an important export market for Ireland. Nearly 14%.

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

I was meaning that the UK is an important export market for Ireland. Nearly 14%.

what ?

I think you will find it is a lot more than that - The UK does not need Ireland for anything, it is a tiny economy - and I am talking about the republic of Ireland not the UK N. Ireland, a bit like Scotland and Wales - we all trade together as British - something Scotland SNP should not forget   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

So what is d'Artagnan?please  explain 

Famous character from Alexandre Dumas's The Three Musketeers. The others being Athos, Porthos and Aramis. Their famous oath of mutual loyalty was "All for one and one for all".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unus_pro_omnibus,_omnes_pro_uno

Interestingly, I note the phrase is also the motto of Switzerland.

The first half of it would be a good motto for JRM!

Edited by Grouse

19 hours ago, Rawairat said:

Just make Northern Ireland a self governing province like Hong Kong is a suedo country and trade can carry on

Now why didn' t the brightest minds on either side of the North sea think of that?

44 minutes ago, smedly said:

what ?

I think you will find it is a lot more than that - The UK does not need Ireland for anything, it is a tiny economy - and I am talking about the republic of Ireland not the UK N. Ireland, a bit like Scotland and Wales - we all trade together as British - something Scotland SNP should not forget   

I am talking about the ROI. UK takes 14% of ROI exports by value.  

20 hours ago, malagateddy said:

To all the remainers on this Forum..ask yourself if you really want to be part of the united states of europe??

Well if you want to take a jump off the high board, would you not first check if there were water in the pool???

You are living in the past, the Empire finished in the last century, whats wrong with the United States of Europe if brings a better quality of life???

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

No one is talking bout empires..if you're happy being a brussels patsie..up to you
Some of us do not want to give up our nation status to satisfy the egos of brussels jobsworths.
Up to you if you want to be an atm for the corrupt brussels mob!!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well I think they can do a better job than the shower at SW1A 0AA, last 2 years just proves how useless they are...