Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

1 hour ago, CaptainJack said:

I've read the same info. Your right on all counts.  When I get to Bogota and settle a few days, I'm looking for a lawyer.  I don't want this left to any chance after what happened in Bangkok. 

Can you give a little more insight into daily life? Prices of goods, restaurants and bars, variety food, what a typical grocery store is like? What are you paying night for your hostel?

Maybe language barrier is a problem but are people worried about neighboring Venezuela? Do you see any visible signs of people fleeing from there?

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

I can't answer all right now. I'll answer what I can.  I'm paying 150 pesos a night, about 8 dollars U.S.

No signs at all about Venezuela's people and their struggles. 

I'm in the tourist area, so it is higher here at restaurants.  Still, I can have several beers and a full meal for 250 pesos,  about 12 dollars.   

Grocery stores? I miss 7-11.  I've not gone shopping here, except for a few clothes.  This is not where I would live as a single man anyway,  even if everything else fell into place.   Too slow, not enough variety. 

I will try to answer your other questions,  but I don't think I'll be able to.  I'd probably go to Mexico City if I wanted to stay in Mexico.   

I run my own unique program for life rewards and money management.   Tonight,  I'm dining in a 5 star restaurant.  Exquisite international food, still half or less expensive then the USA.   Service 5 star.  I do that as my personal rewards,  the way I offset flying solo, and loneliness.   I can pay for this because I stay in hostels,  and do 12 hour layovers to get dirt cheap airfares. 

I am me, and I have lived a life of my own design.  I'm going to Colombia because I have a vision of what it can be for me.  Mexico,  which I love,  is not that vision.

You know, I know there are no sure things in life. I've know that for a long time,  but even I want, even if an illusion, some sense of predictability.   I thought I had that in Thailand.  I lost that feeling of security.   

Geez, I'm sorry.  I tracked off on a tangent.  I'll be able to get much better information when in Colombia.  

Cheers...

All I need to know is it better than Thailand? This entire thread sounds like wishful thinking in reality and on the ground.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

All I need to know is it better than Thailand? This entire thread sounds like wishful thinking in reality and on the ground.

That's pretty absurd. He's in Bogota. That's one city in one country in Latin America. You don't even need to be there to know that Bogota is relatively expensive compared to other cities in Latin America. Then consider all the numerous nations in Latin America with very different cultures. Better than Thailand based on what?  

As far as wishful thinking migration to a new country when not a literal refugee is going to involve hope that you may have a better life there. Reality bites everywhere just in different ways for different people.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I won't be able to answer or give am accurate report until I get to Bogota.   Sorry,  but darn, you are right.  It is wishful thinking.  Why else would I be here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's pretty absurd. He's in Bogota. That's one city in one country in Latin America. You don't even need to be there to know that Bogota is relatively expensive compared to other cities in Latin America. Then consider all the numerous nations in Latin America with very different cultures. Better than Thailand based on what?   
As far as wishful thinking migration to a new country when not a literal refugee is going to involve hope that you may have a better life there. Reality bites everywhere just in different ways for different people.

I have been to Bogota several times on business but the last time was some years ago. I speak Spanish well and at that time it seemed to be a needed ability to be comfortable there. Of course I know Colombia has changed a lot and cleaned up. It is however a relatively more formal lifestyle than Thailand and that is true for most places in SA mentioned in this thread. The costs of exploratory trips and resettlement would likely be as much as funding another 800k for a retirement extension here.

I am also following this thread with interest and appreciate your shared research and Captain Jack’s on the ground reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

As far as the need for at least some Spanish yes that's definitely a real thing in most of the destinations mentioned. Some places will be easier than others such as tourism hubs of Puerto Vallarta Mx and Cartagena Co. There are workarounds possible to at least get set up. Casually hire translators. Engage formal expat helper firms. Smartphone translation apps. But in the long in many of these places not becoming fluent in at least elementary Spanish would not be a happy situation at all.

Yes as I recently detailed yes I agree that the entire process including exploration could add up to 800k baht but not necessarily as it depends on so many personal factors.

Whether to include an abstract loss of a condo sold well under market is something I can't answer but it seems to me that's a real cost.

As far as exploration all of my travels in Latin America were done before I moved to Thailand. I consider those experiences useful today for how I consider Latin America even after several years . There was no one destination there that screamed out I have to live here. But I had expat colored impressions of all the places. For examples I could imagine living in Guadalajara if it became safer. I could imagine living in Lima if I could afford Miraflores. I totally rejected numerous places based on visiting such as Costa Rica, Oaxaca Mx, and Brazil. But the fact that there were some places that I have visited in Latin America that I think I would enjoy living in with some conditions gives me reason to think that there are other places there that I would like as well where the conditions were met, such as safe enough, affordable enough, air breathable, and visa possible. Or maybe not.

This item is more about tourism than expatriation but I'm posting it to give an idea of how spectacular some of the scenery and villages are surrounding the coffee region cities. Most people would prefer to live in a city just for modern amenities, services, and convenience but this gives an idea of the type of places close by outside the cities. This particular village called Salento has become a major international tourism draw happens to be closest to Armenia than the other coffee region cities. There are expats living there as well, probably some retired people and also tourism related business owners. 

• Like 1

What about buying real estate in Colombia?

Hmm. 

Foreigners can buy both land and houses.

https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Latin-America/Colombia/Buying-Guide

The video before mentioned buying a townhouse in a very good neighborhood in Armenia for 70K USD. OK, not super cheap, but I have searched a bit about that and you can buy small condo units for 30K USD. Why buy? These prices I'm pretty sure are for new modern builds (there is a construction boom there). 

Well if you're going to live there you look in your housing at a time when the peso is weak. 

But retiring there you start on three years. Down the line you might be hit by visa changes and/or exchange rate moves for your next application. Anytime before you might apply for residency or citizenship. So there is that risk, owning something you can't live in, just like Thailand.

However if the visa situation worsened because of a strong peso, then, well maybe it was a good investment and you could sell for a good profit.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I think that is any amazing thing about many areas of urban Thailand. The convenience! I should eat Thai food more often while in Thailand.

Captain I spaced out and called you in Bogota already but you're in Merida.

About that bad man stalker. Is it possible he was just into silver Daddies?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think that is any amazing thing about many areas of urban Thailand. The convenience! I should eat Thai food more often while in Thailand.

Captain I spaced out and called you in Bogota already but you're in Merida.

About that bad man stalker. Is it possible he was just into silver Daddies?

Lol. I'm silver, but no daddy. You crack me up.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm skeptical.

I doubt Merida is on this list but check this out.

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-mexico-tijuana-violence-20190314-story.html?outputType=amp

Thanks for the article.  Actually,  Merida is in the middle of a contested area. I'm way more familiar with this ongoing drug war then most because of my work in law enforcement in Texaa.  

There are not many really safe places anymore.  The shoot out last year in the middle of Bangkok using AK-47's where an Indian tourist was caught in the crossfire was never really explained and not another word heard about it.

The amount of methamphetamine produced in Myanmar,  using raw materials from China is barely reported on, and Thailand is the main conduit delivering the drugs destined for Australia and New Zealand.  This is not meant to be funny,  but I prefer to know where the war is going on. I can at least plan.

That old adage?

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer....

Here is the wiki on the Merida Initiative. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mérida_Initiative

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've read this a few places about Queretaro. I don't know if it's really true though. That Queretaro is largely free of narco violence because the drug lords there have an agreement for that to be a neutral zone because that's the place that they send their children to school. 

A few years back before the "troubles" Nicaragua was showing up more and more often, higher and higher, on the lists of best cheaper retirement abroad nations. Well, here is some good background on why it's off those lists now.

Venezuela gets all the headlines but the crisis in Nicaragua remains at the boiling point

To the extent that eyes are on Latin America, they are on Venezuela — which is understandable. Venezuela has come to a boil. But Nicaragua is boiling too — and we should spare a glance in its direction.

https://cuencahighlife.com/venezuela-gets-all-the-headlines-but-the-crisis-in-nicaragua-remains-at-the-boiling-point/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

A detailed comparison of Medellin to a coffee region city, this time Pereira (bigger than Armenia). 

https://medellinliving.com/medellin-vs-pereira/

Someone should do a full Pereira vs. Armenia comparison. 

The best neighborhoods in Pereira are mentioned and described as similarly upscale to the famous Poblado Medellin district but significantly cheaper!

If you read through this, I think you'll get the gist that Pereira (and the coffee region) comes out sounding quite good.

Through this I found that apartment website for Colombia link --

https://www.fincaraiz.com.co/apartamentos/arriendo/pereira/

Columbian neighborhoods are rating with a number. The higher numbers are the better areas and are charged higher utility rates.

Sample listing.

Large apartment 4 rooms, 3 baths in upscale neighborhood, guessing not a new building, refurbished, average view, bigger than most people would need I would think, 432 dollars a month. Obviously you could get smaller and cheaper. Anyone packing yet?

https://www.fincaraiz.com.co/apartamento-en-arriendo/pereira/alamos-det-4217208.aspx

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

i dont see any scooter in any video, looks like its a car or walk continent, that is not a good thing for me

You are wrong. There are lots of motorcycles in the coffee region cities.

An account I heard was they are rapidly increasing in Armenia because the prices are really good for good imports, and even teenagers can afford to buy them with part time jobs.

https://www.cybo.com/CO/armenia-colombia/motorcycle-dealers/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Pereira is big enough to have an expat city guide website. Armenia isn't. Not saying which is better. I don't know.

It describes difficult conditions in actually securing a good rental there. This isn't very surprising. Definitely a downside and curb to enthusiasm. 

http://www.pereiracityguide.com/

Spanish rental vocabulary and neighborhood descriptions --

http://www.pereiracityguide.com/cost-rent-pereira-colombia/

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah, I totally understand why you're finding Merida doesn't make sense even though I haven't been there. The extreme heat much of the year without a beach is enough for me to know. 

I'm assuming you won't be finding the time for a visit to Queretaro. Oh well. Like you, Colombia in general is on the top of the list but I still am Queretaro-curious. I guess you'll never know if that would have been the place for you.

I totally agree with you on the wisdom of leaving Thailand given all we know now, so kudos to you for actively pursuing a decent alternative. I also agree with you what you're doing (and presumably some others to follow) will be quite difficult. You speak Spanish and have a great pension -- think of those much earlier in the Spanish with a much lower income. Yes, go ahead, feel superior!

Anyway I have picked up from your posts that you like the nightlife, so checking out Medellin makes perfect sense for you. Have you considered also checking out Cartagena? It's more expensive than Medellin but also active nightlife and the Caribbean vibe, hot weather yes but on the beach.

As you've probably read I've been talking about the coffee region cities. I think Armenia is definitely too slow for you but maybe Pereira would work? There is nightlife there. Just how much nightlife do you need? I may be wrong but I'm starting to see Pereira as kind of half way point between Medellin and Armenia. It doesn't sound like you need the lower cost part but consider that with the even lower cost than Medellin with your ample pension income you could be living the high life even more so than Medellin. 

Just some thoughts. You do you, Captain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've read this a few places about Queretaro. I don't know if it's really true though. That Queretaro is largely free of narco violence because the drug lords there have an agreement for that to be a neutral zone because that's the place that they send their children to school. 

Some of the things being said are a little disturbing. You would move to an area that is safe largely because of a truce between drug cartels? One bullet changes that whole scenario.