Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

20 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Some of the things being said are a little disturbing. You would move to an area that is safe largely because of a truce between drug cartels? One bullet changes that whole scenario. 

It's been considered one of the safest larger cities in Mexico for a long time now. The per capita income of the people there is higher than mine. It's a major international tech industry center now. I don't even know if that truce story is really true. It kind of sounds like an urban myth. I likely can't really afford to live there in a central location that would please me although I could live in the suburbs but then I'd need to drive and that's out. Also Mexico's visa and health system don't sound as good as in Colombia. So it's unlikely for me but not because of fear of violence there. In general though, the jury is out on what's going to happen in Mexico with the new leftist populist government.

I get the feeling that many American have an irrational fear of Latin America in general. That's funny considering how scary many places in the USA are. Most places in the world are like that, assuming you're not stuck in a violent slum, you quickly learn where it's safe to go and where it's unsafe to go, especially at night. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's been considered one of the safest larger cities in Mexico for a long time now. The per capita income of the people there is higher than mine. It's a major international tech industry center now. I don't even know if that truce story is really true. It kind of sounds like an urban myth. I likely can't really afford to live there in a central location that would please me although I could live in the suburbs but then I'd need to drive and that's out. Also Mexico's visa and health system don't sound as good as in Colombia. So it's unlikely for me but not because of fear of violence there. In general though, the jury is out on what's going to happen in Mexico with the new leftist populist government.

I get the feeling that many American have an irrational fear of Latin America in general. That's funny considering how scary many places in the USA are. Most places in the world are like that, assuming you're not stuck in a violent slum, you quickly learn where it's safe to go and where it's unsafe to go, especially at night. 

I don't know most people wouldn't move to a place where public safety is predicated upon a gentleman's agreement between two cartels that are murderous.

It is beginning more and more to look like especially taking Captainjack's observation into account that this is sifting through the garbage.

Is Thailand so bad?

On 3/15/2019 at 10:12 AM, Jingthing said:

This item is more about tourism than expatriation but I'm posting it to give an idea of how spectacular some of the scenery and villages are surrounding the coffee region cities. Most people would prefer to live in a city just for modern amenities, services, and convenience but this gives an idea of the type of places close by outside the cities. This particular village called Salento has become a major international tourism draw happens to be closest to Armenia than the other coffee region cities. There are expats living there as well, probably some retired people and also tourism related business owners. 

Hi

That video started me off on a quest for more info re. Colombia.

I had never given it much thought before this topic started.

Whilst I generally prefer large towns/small cities I can and do like small places.

Salento looks lovely. I really enjoy good scenery, as well as outdoor cafes etc.

The hotel the travelers stayed at is listed at about 2250 baht per night. Beautiful views.

Plenty cheaper available though.

So looked first at tourist visa options, surprised very good, As a UK passport holder, 90 days on arrival, can be extended another 90 days.

N.B. I now have an interest in a holiday visit to Colombia, never been there.

Flights are cheap from UK ( start at apx. 18000 baht.

From Italy even cheaper, from apx. 14000 baht.

Above prices were the cheapest I could find, paying more is fine.

Looked at guesthouse/small hotel listings in Peirara, cheap  though, acceptable looking places from about 500 baht a night.

Transport seems cheap ( very )

Then read up on food, a lot of meat dishes, that is another tick up for me. Again prices seem low.

OK, I like a beer or 2 now and again.

Local Colombian beer seems cheaper than Thai. Probably better as well.

I was a bit surprised to read somewhere that Colombian wine is not all that good.

Imports from nearby countries available, with some import duty.

Considerably cheaper than Thailand.

Good climate, arguably better than Thailand.

I can certainly understand the appeal.

So to follow a blog link to food in Colombia.

I could probably quite happily eat about 80% + of what they describe.

https://www.desktodirtbag.com/guide-colombian-food/

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I totally agree that Colombia is a major tourism draw. The potential was always there before during the troubles (civil war / narco violence) but now with all the progress, they're getting more and more international visitors and they spread the word that they had a great time and weren't murdered. 

Ironically the fear factor which probably isn't going to completely go away seems to contribute to it's affordability.

OK, I like meat too, Argentina was amazing for that, but my impression is that Colombian food is too meat heavy and the truth is that I find chicharron disgusting. Also I am very much into hot chilies and heavily SPICY dishes -- that's not Colombian food. In cities you have more options, vegetarian restaurants, international foods, Peruvian food (one of my favorites). Asian food options are going to be limited with of course bigger cities Bogota and Medellin being somewhat better. So for me even though I have had Colombian dishes that I love, the food situation is on the more negative side of the list. Wine? Yes, you're right. It's a beer and fire water country. But yes of course you can buy Chilean and Argentinian wine there and I think also lower than Thailand, but certainly not cheap. I remember my shock when staying in Argentina that quite decent wines at the supermarkets were close to bottled water levels. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yeah, I totally agree that Colombia is a major tourism draw. The potential was always there before the troubles (civil war / narco violence) but now with all the progress, they're getting more and more international visitors and they spread the word that they had a great time and weren't murdered. 
Ironically the fear factor which probably isn't going to completely go away seems to contribute to it's affordability.
OK, I like meat too, Argentina was amazing for that, but my impression is that Colombian food is too meat heavy and the truth is that I find chicharron disgusting. Also I am very much into hot chilies and heavily SPICY dishes -- that's not Colombian food. In cities you have more options, vegetarian restaurants, international foods, Peruvian food (one of my favorites). Asian food options are going to be limited with of course bigger cities Bogota and Medellin being somewhat better. So for me even though I have had Colombian dishes that I love, the food situation is on the more negative side of the list. Wine? Yes, you're right. It's a beer and fire water country. But yes of course you can buy Chilean and Argentinian wine there and I think also lower than Thailand, but certainly not cheap. I remember my shock when staying in Argentina that quite decent wines at the supermarkets were close to bottled water levels. 

Yes that is the crux of lifestyle trade offs IMO. Good cheap wine and great food make up for other deficiencies. Argentina is the only place for that around Mendoza if you rule out Chile.

Overall, I’m in agreement with cryingdick that I just do not see any compelling reason for anyone to leave Thailand. Visa extension will be tightened up but complying is cheaper than uprooting and relocating. Thailand fundamentals are still there (excluding wine of course) and even though I applaud this great effort especially by jack, it just confirms for me Thailand’s superiority in total satisfaction ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, EricTh said:

Yeah, right.

But I don't see any farang holding joss-sticks and regularly praying at the temples.  Neither do they know anything about Buddhist concepts nor believe in Buddhism.

Neither do most Thais, including a good part of the monks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Hi Brokenbone. I'm just back from a long and good day touring with a Mexican group.  It was nice.  My Spanish is limited,  and this diverse group went out of their way to help me and have a good time.  That was a needed bump for me. 

To the question.   Absolutely,  Thailand is not that bad. My intention,  even with my difficultly with the heat was to live there the rest of my life.  Circumstances and some bad luck and decisions on my part really put that at risk.

Let me be really clear.  I'm not happy having to do this relocation exercise.  But, as you know, to stay in Thailand with my precarious circumstances was rolling a set of dice I was not comfortable doing. 

Now, to the point. I don't know what my future holds at this point.  What I do know is at this point,  unless the Thai government changes it's direction and attitude towards expatriates,  I'm done.  I totally understand why this move on my part is a real mind mess with so many.  The simple fact that there is so much unpredictability now in Thailand on so many levels, it is not for me.  I chose to exit because of my circumstances.   At this point, at almost 67 years old, I refuse to live everyday of my life waiting for "the shoe to drop". Life is just too short for me to live like that.

Brokenbone, I struggle with isolation and daily bouts of depression having made this decision.   I'm a survivor,  and one way or another,  I'll come through this and whether in Colombia,  Thailand,  Cambodia,  Mexico,  the USA (gag) or whatever,  I'll find my way and thrive. It is what I have always done.  

Trust me bro, I long for an easy and secure life.  Maybe I'll get it? Maybe I'll just travel the world until my time is up.  

So no, Thailand is not that bad, and in fact  because it is so good, I won't risk having it ripped away from me by a government that right now, appears more then willing to do just that.  I hope that answers your question. 

So tonight is a typical Saturday night in Mexico and many Latin American countries.  The plaza is alive and hopping.  I'll post some photos of today's excursion and the plaza right now.  Time to enjoy the cool evening breeze, amazingly beautiful Mexican women as they waltz across the plaza and enjoy my feeling less threatened here, in the middle of a drug cartel area, then I did in Thailand.   And that my friend,  is really a sad statement. 

20190316_103121.jpg

20190316_103945.jpg

images (3).jpeg

20190316_171449.jpg

20190316_200056.jpg

20190316_195953.jpg

Nice photos!

However I am willing to bet 3 bar girls,2 soi dogs and a whole tribe of jingjoks that not a single expat  will follow you.

Those who are feeling the pinch may try other countries in Asia but most will take the option (if they have to) to go home.

Especially if they have families to consider when they repatriate...

This reminds me of a thread "Where would you retire to in the USA?" where every suggestion was shot down and killed excepting Dead Man's Gulch,Arizona which won by default as nobody bothered to reply.

Best of luck to you in your travels.

As far as whether migrating to Latin America from Thailand is compelling or not is really an individual matter.

Personally I am feeling very attracted to Colombia for these reasons --

To live in a year round mild weather city

Air quality? Where I'm living now in Thailand now has an annual period of extremely unhealthy air pollution. The places I'm considering in Colombia have clean air. (Not Medellin!)

Initial 3 year at least sounds easy visa, followed at year 5 to a possible residency or citizenship application. The visa situation and uncertainty in Thailand really stresses me out.

BTW, IF you marry a Colombian you can apply for citizenship much earlier, and yes I could marry a Colombian legally, but I couldn't marry a Thai. 

Getting older, I don't want that visa uncertainty constantly in my life anymore (similar feelings as the Captain on that). 

I have a fear here of somehow getting caught up in the immigration web and then blacklisted with my major assets stuck in Thailand. Maybe unlikely but if you study what's been happening, it is possible, and if it happened to me it would ruin my future life financially. 

Affordability -- it seems to me comparable overall to Thailand especially in the specific more provincial cities that interest me the most. 

Places that are easy to live in without a car.

Health insurance. There is strong evidence Thailand might start requiring that within the next year or two. Great if you can afford it and get it based on age and preexisting conditions. Not great if you can't. You can bet 100 percent that Thailand will NOT offer a buy in to their national program option.

Colombia, national health plan for retired expats, regardless of age, regardless of health, including dental and meds. Is it as good as U.S. Medicare or your home countries system? Probably not, but that's a different question as this topic is about leaving Thailand to another expat country.

Of course there are downsides.

Of course there are advantages to staying in Thailand.

Everyone needs to weigh these pros and cons based on their personal situation.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Oh, I forgot to mention the assertion in the video that the two top digital nomad destinations n the world are Medellin and Chiang Mai. I don't think if that's technically true, but they are both very popular for digital nomads. This thread isn't the only place people are referring the choice of Thailand (and other Asean countries) as an expat destination to choices in Latin America. It's quite common actually. 
Yes I have been working as a digital nomad myself and the discussion in my network is always about CM and Medellin, and some Eastern European alternatives. Medellin is on my list to visit just to get a feel of the atmosphere.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, balo said:

Yes I have been working as a digital nomad myself and the discussion in my network is always about CM and Medellin, and some Eastern European alternatives. Medellin is on my list to visit just to get a feel of the atmosphere.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Less on the international radar, but I think there is also a digital nomad scene in Queretaro Mexico as well. Such people usually stay in Airbnb and the infrastructure is great being the "Silicon Valley" of Mexico. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

As far as whether migrating to Latin America from Thailand is compelling or not is really an individual matter.

My argument is that if you examine the total package of virtually any country in LA (and arguably globally) compared to Thailand you will find Thailand wins for most expats. The food, the laid-back lifestyle, the cost of living, the ease of transport, the ease of hooking-up for those who don't have a steady thing, all those things are better in Thailand. The only thing that is recently bad is the schizophrenic visa situation, which seems to be a crackdown to eliminate a certain segment of the expat population, and for those who can weather this, I think it will return to normal.

I stand by my position. Thailand still wins in most categories.

My argument is that if you examine the total package of virtually any country in LA (and arguably globally) compared to Thailand you will find Thailand wins for most expats. The food, the laid-back lifestyle, the cost of living, the ease of transport, the ease of hooking-up for those who don't have a steady thing, all those things are better in Thailand. The only thing that is recently bad is the schizophrenic visa situation, which seems to be a crackdown to eliminate a certain segment of the expat population, and for those who can weather this, I think it will return to normal.   I stand by my position. Thailand still wins in most categories.

For you. For most is your opinion. But certainly not for all. Especially those that are literally being forced out or feel that is possible or likely. Of that group other than the home country and other Asean countries, Europe etc. in my opinion Latin America is at least worth consideration.   

If you've rejected it that's cool. There are no global right or wrong answers on such things.

This thread is about the specific choices in Latin America. It's not an argument that any of these choices is objectively than Thailand better for everyone.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

For you. For most is your opinion. But certainly not for all. Especially those that are literally being forced out or feels that is likely. Of that group other than the home country in my opinion Latin America is worth consideration. If you've rejected it that's cool. There are no global right or wrong answers on such things.

No of course I don't reject it, I love several countries in LA and the lifestyle, and as I mentioned, I speak the language. My contention is that you and everyone else arrived in Thailand after due consideration of all the factors and are were well-informed and I think made the right decision. I also understand the feeling of being forced out (or just tired of living here with permission year by year), and maybe that is true, especially when compared to the scheme offered in Colombia for example. I would just counsel to not be too quick to jump because those countries offer no guarantee they will remain visa-friendly too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Nice photos!

However I am willing to bet 3 bar girls,2 soi dogs and a whole tribe of jingjoks that not a single expat  will follow you.

Those who are feeling the pinch may try other countries in Asia but most will take the option (if they have to) to go home.

Especially if they have families to consider when they repatriate...

This reminds me of a thread "Where would you retire to in the USA?" where every suggestion was shot down and killed excepting Dead Man's Gulch,Arizona which won by default as nobody bothered to reply.

Best of luck to you in your travels.

Quick reply.  I'll have a later post with additional information. 

I hope you understand I'm not here hoping any expats will follow me.  I'm here on an exploratory mission.  I do have one objective that I hope to accomplish that is not about me.  That is to give, at least from my limited reporting,  what this looks like to try and do. 

If there is one thing I can say, and I have actually said this before,  any expat living in Thailand right now that may be at risk  possibly denied a visa and banned from returning to the kingdom would be well advised to get proactive and do what it takes,  get a plan and do not get refused entry or be deported. 

What I am doing is not fun. I make the best of this but regardless of what some have said to me that I overreacted to my circumstances,  way more expats on TV have said publicly or in private,  get out until you fix your visa problem. 

And I have said be, my friend who is married to a high ranking Thai police officer passed the word to me, "tell Jack get out now. There will be arrests coming and you don't want to be one because of a stupid mistake ".

I can come back after my stuff is cleared up and I see what the rule shake out to be with Thailand's immigration system. 

You don't want to be doing what I am.

Cheers, thanks for the encouragement.  I strive to make accurate reports for everyone who is following me.

CJ

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Of course I agree that moving to a new country is a massive life decision. Of course people should do research and hopefully at least one long exploration trip to the place of their choice. Risks? There are risks staying too.

I agree completely with you here, and this also highlights a problem for retirees on fixed income. This effort really requires the kind of long exploratory trip Captain Jack is now doing and hats of to you Jack for this! Failing such a long semi living experience one cannot know whether moving would be a good decision. Previously in this thread you outlined a cost of ten or tens of thousands for such a trip. I maintain it's at least that, and more. So, in the end, upsetting your expat retirement destination plans can be very expensive, even more expensive than complying with new more onerous visa requirements. (Unless you're prepared to move to someplace like Tunisia which is truly probably the cheapest and best place for this purpose - but you need to speak French or Arabic).

Edited by keemapoot
add

Good morning from Merida, 

Well, darn. I got overheated yesterday.  I feel like I've been run over this morning.  Woke up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding and felt like I could not breathe.  Geez, a small dose of heat exhaustion.  I'm easily susceptible.   Lots of water, I'm feeling better already. 

Today's update:

I may scrap Colombia.   It now has a Level Two State department warning do to organized crime, especially targeting foreigners,  stealing cell phones at a rate of thousands per day? It is so bad, the U.S. government is working with the Colombian government on the problem. The report is the phones are being resold, with a lot of them going to the drug cartels. 

I have two new roomies in my dormwho  just got back from Colombia.  They were stopped in their taxi and the police confiscated their phones. They also told me another friend of theirs was robbed at gunpoint for his cellphone last week 

My room has no a/c during the day, so it is too hot to escape the heat. There is a Starbucks I can sit and research.  I am there now.

So this is what happens when you become an explorer.  Things can be amazing,  and they can be difficult.  Every thing I learn helps me with future decisions. When I trekked to the Mt. Everest Base Camp in 2016, one if our team went into convulsions when we reached base camp. He has HACE (High Altitude Cerebral Edema). If not for the amazing effort of one of our sherpas and two porters,  he woukd have died. They got him down quickly enough so a helicopter could evacuate him to a hospital in Kathmandu. 

There is that old adage:

"That which does not kill us, it makes us stronger ".

I need to think about this new information.  Fortunately,  I've got enough time and my airfare is cheap enough if I change directions,  I can do so with minimal impact. 

As always, y'all sleep well.  I'll report back tomorrow. 

https://thebogotapost.com/organised-criminal-gangs-behind-increase-in-cellphone-thefts-in-cali/29378

• Thanks 1

visa costs do add, 13 year was for me over half a million baht

not counting compounding interests, but the bigger issue is

it comes with no guarantee, it can be canceled in a whim

and then i get at best 7 days to sod off.

at worst detained sleeping on a concrete floor until deportation, with no option for destination.

that is not a desirable position to be in with mobility issues that we all have or will have before its over

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I agree completely with you here, and this also highlights a problem for retirees on fixed income. This effort really requires the kind of long exploratory trip Captain Jack is now doing and hats of to you Jack for this! Failing such a long semi living experience one cannot know whether moving would be a good decision. Previously in this thread you outlined a cost of ten or tens of thousands for such a trip. I maintain it's at least that, and more. So, in the end, upsetting your expat retirement destination plans can be very expensive, even more expensive than complying with new more onerous visa requirements. (Unless you're prepared to move to someplace like Tunisia which is truly probably the cheapest and best place for this purpose - but you need to speak French or Arabic).

Quick note. As of today, my actual costs, including airfares and lodging, and the 800 dollars for the month back in Austin and food have totalled approximately 3,000 dollars.  That would include the month in Austin staying with my brother and his wife and food. 

My total cost starting the Merida stage of this program, including all prepaid airfare has been approximately 1500 dollar's.  I include the Austin segment as a staged segment.  The actual Latin American program is really only in it's first week.  On the ground experience is what I needed,  and I'm reporting for my expatriate community. 

• Like 2

Good morning from Merida, 

Well, darn. I got overheated yesterday.  I feel like I've been run over this morning.  Woke up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding and felt like I could not breathe.  Geez, a small dose of heat exhaustion.  I'm easily susceptible.   Lots of water, I'm feeling better already. 
Today's update:

I may scrap Colombia.   It now has a Level Two State department warning do to organized crime, especially targeting foreigners,  stealing cell phones at a rate of thousands per day? It is so bad, the U.S. government is working with the Colombian government on the problem. The report is the phones are being resold, with a lot of them going to the drug cartels. 

I have two new roomies in my dormwho  just got back from Colombia.  They were stopped in their taxi and the police confiscated their phones. They also told me another friend of theirs was robbed at gunpoint for his cellphone last week 

My room has no a/c during the day, so it is too hot to escape the heat. There is a Starbucks I can sit and research.  I am there now.

So this is what happens when you become an explorer.  Things can be amazing,  and they can be difficult.  Every thing I learn helps me with future decisions. When I trekked to the Mt. Everest Base Camp in 2016, one if our team went into convulsions when we reached base camp. He has HACE (High Altitude Cerebral Edema). If not for the amazing effort of one of our sherpas and two porters,  he woukd have died. They got him down quickly enough so a helicopter could evacuate him to a hospital in Kathmandu. 

There is that old adage:
"That which does not kill us, it makes us stronger ".

I need to think about this new information.  Fortunately,  I've got enough time and my airfare is cheap enough if I change directions,  I can do so with minimal impact. 

As always, y'all sleep well.  I'll report back tomorrow. 

https://thebogotapost.com/organised-criminal-gangs-behind-increase-in-cellphone-thefts-in-cali/29378
What cities specifically in Colombia. I reported before Medellin has had a spike in narco related violence but that kind of organized targeting of foreigners is another level. I haven't heard of stuff like that in Armenia and Pereira which reportedly were even relatively safe during the narco peak and civil war. Your post is concerning but I'm not even close to being put off. I also think those state department reports are to be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Coming back to Thailand looks better (except the heat), but only if I know, and I believe we all will know in six months (when I potentially can return) if Thailand is going to stop this agressive treatment of expatriates and decide whether they are going to require comprehensive medical insurance for any long stay visa. 

I did not read your explanation of the reason you have visa issues in Thailand, but with your income, I can't imagine any reason why you should have any worries. Insofar as medical insurance, that is a totally non-issue at this point for most retirees. So, if you should decide to return to Thailand, I don't see any reason why you could not though I don't know your particular issues.

Edited by keemapoot

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What cities specifically in Colombia. I reported before Medellin has had a spike in narco related violence but that kind of organized targeting of foreigners is another level. I haven't heard of stuff like that in Armenia and Pereira which reportedly were even relatively safe during the narco peak and civil war. Your post is concerning but I'm not even close to being put off. I also think those state department reports are to be taken with a grain of salt.

The first hand reports from my roommate's were Cali, Borgata and smaller cities I did not recognize. 

I agree on the state Department warning and how realistic it is.

The report I referenced is more accurate and this one is good for perspective.

And, this is a real concern for me.  As a limited Spanish speaker and needing to use my phone if everything from reservations,  banking,  money, etc., having it stolen is not just an inconvenience.  It could be,  especially flying solo, a serious risk to my ability to function and stay safe.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowTopic-g294073-i1708-k12267055-Using_iphones_in_Bogota_Safe_to_do_so-Colombia.html

2 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I did not read your explanation of the reason you have visa issues in Thailand, but with your income, I can't imagine any reason why you should have any worries. Insofar as medical insurance, that is a totally non-issue at this point for most retirees. So, if you should decide to return to Thailand, I don't see any reason why you could not though I don't know your particular issues.

My visa was obtained through official bribery and I did not know what was going on until after the fact.  I thought I was paying for an expeditor.  I was brand new in Thailand,  had used expeditors for my India and Chinese visa from Texas. I was stupid and uninformed that tge level of offical corruption and bribery was as it was (is) in Thailand.   I even had the Embassy letter.  They did not use it, deposited 800k in my bank account abd withdrew the next day. 

I have to produce my bankbook for a renewal,  and have been strongly advised against that. Oh, I went for my first 90 day report in Bkk, and was really shaken when the IO told me my address was in Chunburi. I lived in Bangkok.  Cost me a lot of stress and running around and 5,000 baht, but was made right.  

My second 90 day report? They grilled me for an hour of the address stuff.  I had all my records and receipts.  They were not happy campers.   I made the decision after talking to friends that I trust to leave under my own steam. 

CJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1