Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This thread is intended to ONLY be about Latin American destinations. Nothing about other Asean nations, nothing about Europe, Africa, or any other region, OK?

Fair enough, but why did you mentioned this;?

and there are other choices. For example Portugal, Spain, Malta, and Cyprus

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Fair enough, but why did you mentioned this;?

As a way of general introduction. I think it's clear enough for most readers, and I really don't know why you're asking except to be difficult. 

This topic has the POTENTIAL to be really useful for a lot of people that actually want to talk about the actual topic (which is quite well defined).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Thailand is no longer cheap, if you are from America, latin America would  be more sensible to live bcos it's nearer.

What is the cost of living there compared to Thailand?

Cost of living varies by specific nation and specific locality within those nations, and also how willing you are to go local. We can get into many of those specifics on this topic.

You can make generalities though. Chile which is now officially a first world country in general is going to considerably more expensive than Ecuador. In Central America, Panama especially in Panama City is going to be considerably more expensive than Nicaragua. Just an example there because Nicaragua is not an advisable place to move in the near future because of political issues.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Just now, steven100 said:

yeah Latin America ...  !   In Brazil you will most likely be robbed or shot during your first couple of nights out ....  :drunk:

Brazil's cities do have high crime but I really have personally rules out Brazil anyway based on their financial requirements.

There are much safer specific choices in various Latin American choices, so please people that come on here saying you will definitely be murdered if you move anywhere in LA, that's just wrong. Totally wrong. 

• Like 1

I have worked in South America and I liked it. Many moons ago though. I worked in Venezuela (Non-Starter at the moment), Colombia and Argentina. All are a bit violent and Mexico has its drug wars. 

I haven't been to Ecuador which I think is the main retirement area in South America. I have been to Belize as a tourist and I liked it. Again though I haven't stayed in Costa Rica which I think is the main retirement spot. Just went through the airport and onto a vessel. 

You could flip between the 2. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, NCC1701A said:

lived in Los Angeles all my life.

Mexicans everywhere. Been there, done that.

Many Americans have indeed been very exposed to Latin American cultures at home. Some like it, some don't. Obviously travel to actual Latin American nations is needed to get a valid personal impression. The cultures are different in the different countries. 

Following with interest as I'd like to spend a bit of time in South America before I commit to where I am going to fully retire 

If I had to pick based on the very limit knowledge I have it would be Costa Rica, Columbia, Ecuador or Panama (in that order)

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wonderful music, food and ladies but, i just think it's to dangerous.

No, no. You have missed the whole point. Latin America and Israel are the main destinies for 'westerners'. Still confused why the OP still stays in Thailand.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I'm here for the temples.

Yeah, right.

But I don't see any farang holding joss-sticks and regularly praying at the temples.  Neither do they know anything about Buddhist concepts nor believe in Buddhism.

Edited by EricTh

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

No, no. You have missed the whole point. Latin America and Israel are the main destinies for 'westerners'. Still confused why the OP still stays in Thailand.

It used to because Bangkok was the sex capital and charges were cheap.

But not anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1