Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

Very few of the posters on this thread will go anywhere.

Most of 'em have been sqauwkin' for years.

They will still be squawking in a few years time.

Those who have left,have left.If they try to post on TV their observations are usually ignored-I call it "rice paddy-itis" tho',in truth, it appears to afflict the mongers as well as the agriculturists...

It's hilarious,anyway.

I have one request of the prolific poster...can you kindly stop posting photos of yourself?

We have got the message.

Try this..

DSCN0303.JPG

Edited by Odysseus123

2 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

I've shared my personal experience and I hope it will help prepare those of you who choose or are forced to leave Thailand. 

I've enjoyed reading your posts, and looking at the photos.

Can't help thinking Cambodia/Philippines/Vietnam would have been a lot easier/cheaper than Mexico, but maybe that's just because I'm not American.

• Like 1

One thing the Captain should be reminded of is his g/f back in Thailand. I am sure she is faithful to you while you are busy getting your life in order but one must be mindful that many Thai ladies are pros. They can juggle more then one man at the same time and get a nice cash flow streaming to them on a monthly basis. There are Thai woman who are in fact faithful and honest and hopefully yours fits that label. The temptation to cheat rises exponentially when you are not around. Remember the adage, when the cats away the mice will play. Good luck,

31 minutes ago, watgate said:

One thing the Captain should be reminded of is his g/f back in Thailand. I am sure she is faithful to you while you are busy getting your life in order but one must be mindful that many Thai ladies are pros. They can juggle more then one man at the same time and get a nice cash flow streaming to them on a monthly basis. There are Thai woman who are in fact faithful and honest and hopefully yours fits that label. The temptation to cheat rises exponentially when you are not around. Remember the adage, when the cats away the mice will play. Good luck,

he finished with her, past is past

• Like 1

Hi,

I read on TV today about these upcoming potential immigration changes in Thailand.   Sorry. I hope things don't get any worse.  

I'm exhausted,  but today I moved into my first Airbnb here in CDMX. It is nice, super secure and a nice neighborhood just south of La Condesa.  It all bills paid, fully furnished with phone including free international calling  super fast Internet and wifi, an HD TV, cable and Apple TV with free Netfick. It is 1200 USD a month.

I'll be here for 7 days and then move to a more mordern building with the same amenities in a more mordern area with 24 hour security and lift for the same price. It is a few km north of me and a close walk to the metro. Oh, I am on the first floor now. I took some pictures just now. Instead of uploading them, I put them up on my Google Photos and am attaching the link.

I'm ready for bed, feel like I've aged 10 years and think I look it.  I will start to really explore more of CDMX over the next month and see what other living options are available.  I am slowly picking up more Spanish too.

Oh, there are lots of more affordable restaurants in walking distance,  a grocery store and market.  

I'm make progress.   I  have to say though,  had I not had my Mexican friend Gustavo befriend me, I it would have been way harder.  I lucked out.....

CJ

PS. I watched the latest Avengers movie tonight laying on my couch.  Wow, a bit of normal....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xdgQs3U4oJ5SQJwS8

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

sounds nice, except for the ground floor thing

if thieves is a factor to weigh

Hi,

Thieves are always a factor here.  My friend Gustavo told me which areas, including Metro stations to avoid at night, least I'll be robbed.   As an aside, I never thought much about that in Thailand.   Taking precautions here is important. 

The entry to my two story apartment has a heavy wrought iron store wity massive deadbolt just to get into the hallway off the street. My apartment has tge same type external door, and the front door also is heavy deadbolt.  

I feel safe in my apartment and the neighborhood is safe.  

Also, I chat almost daily with my old girlfriend.   She went through a tough time with my leaving.   I have talked with her about moving to be with me and the consequences of leaving her country,  family,  friends,  work and religion to be with me, especially in that I'm 23 years older.  It's not smart for her, and I'd be selfish to ask, so I won't.  The bottom line is she is ok, her new job in marketing is going well and she is making more money now.  She is safe and does not need a farrang to get ahead now.  

I doubt I'll ever be with anyone again, but I have to live with that reality.   Enough on that.

She asked me to compare Bkk with MC for her, so I sent a short comparison.   It is morning here, I'll post that in a separate post and then head to the grocery store.

Oh, I don't like feeling afraid of being robbed and having to be on guard,  but I made the decision to try living in Latin America so I just have to deal with it. 

CJ

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Gustavo sent me a map of what parts of CDMX are high risk for building collapse and which are safe when another earthquake. 

The city is arranging in zone according to the type of soil. I have a better one, but can't find it now.  I'm in the orange zone.

Mapa_Hundimientos 7.29 MB · 4 downloads

Sorry. The first file did not have the extension. 

Mapa_Hundimientos.pdf

The biggest joke has been a very toxic addition to the mix here. He is doing everything in his power to not only discourage Western ex-pats from staying here, but he also seems to be harming the tourism cash cow. This administration is so hapless, so incompetent, so lacking in real leadership, intelligence, vision, consideration, management skill, and wisdom, that it boggles the mind. The Thai people have to figure out a way to get rid of the army. They are running the nation into the ground, and moving Thailand backwards. 

Alot of ex-pats are seeking greener pastures. I have not been able to come up with many alternatives. I love Latin America, and speak Spanish fairly well. But, the security situation is a concern. And some spots are just not reasonable enough. Plus, as much as I love the Latin cultures, most simply do not have the lighthearted attitude of most Thais. All government officials, and most government employees are excluded from this generalization.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I do like the culture in Latin America. Dance, jazz, theatre, fine art, poetry, literature, film, and the list goes on. Thailand can be quite a wasteland when it comes to real culture.

You missed the best bits Bachata and Reggaeton.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

I'm exhausted,  but today I moved into my first Airbnb here in CDMX. It is nice, super secure and a nice neighborhood just south of La Condesa.  It all bills paid, fully furnished with phone including free international calling  super fast Internet and wifi, an HD TV, cable and Apple TV with free Netfick. It is 1200 USD a month.

I'll be here for 7 days and then move to a more mordern building with the same amenities in a more mordern area with 24 hour security and lift for the same price.

Way too expensive, I'm buying a 3 bed house in Chiang Mai and the repayments are $400/month including all utils.

(If I walk away the deposit would have added $140/month to my bill, so still much cheaper)

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Thanks for your input. How is the cost of living? I hear Mexico is becoming quite expensive. Despite what the leaders are telling us, inflation seems to be a real issue everywhere now. But, Thailand is still fairly reasonable, when it comes to thing like rent, outside of the big cities. 

I do like the culture in Latin America. Dance, jazz, theatre, fine art, poetry, literature, film, and the list goes on. Thailand can be quite a wasteland when it comes to real culture.

Yes, the army has been a complete failure, on nearly every level. And their fear of foreigners is astonishing. Says alot about them. None of it is good.

I know that I am paying a premium to buy myself time by renting an Airb&b.   Plus it is in the high dollar area of CDMX.  I won't have hard numbers for another two or three weeks regarding more affordable, unfurnished apartments, and it varies in other locations in Mexico.   My invalidated number is around 800 usd a month. It may even be lower elsewhere. 

Right now my focus is stabilize myself, work on gathering more in country knowing and make decisions in the next 3 months going forward. 

I'm very depleted now,  and need to build up my stamina.   I'll pay higher living cost for a few months to get that recovery time.  Oh, I'm having a bit more trouble adapting to the altitude this time around.  A far cry from what I have trekked at in the past, only 2500m.  Feels higher now.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Way too expensive, I'm buying a 3 bed house in Chiang Mai and the repayments are $400/month including all utils.

(If I walk away the deposit would have added $140/month to my bill, so still much cheaper)

I can't comment on purchasing costs.  Not on my radar right now.  Strictly renting at this point. Sorry....

PS. Very dependent on overall financial ability and strategy.  A friend of mine leveraged to much of his cash buying two condos down south and now has to sell one to have the 800k to deposit.   His monthly is too low for tge 65k rule. Sad....

Edited by CaptainJack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptainJack said:

I know that I am paying a premium to buy myself time by renting an Airb&b.   Plus it is in the high dollar area of CDMX.  I won't have hard numbers for another two or three weeks regarding more affordable, unfurnished apartments, and it varies in other locations in Mexico.   My invalidated number is around 800 usd a month. It may even be lower elsewhere. 

Right now my focus is stabilize myself, work on gathering more in country knowing and make decisions in the next 3 months going forward. 

I'm very depleted now,  and need to build up my stamina.   I'll pay higher living cost for a few months to get that recovery time.  Oh, I'm having a bit more trouble adapting to the altitude this time around.  A far cry from what I have trekked at in the past, only 2500m.  Feels higher now.

indeed it's the altitude that causes fatigue...yer cardio - resp system will havta work harder until you acclimatize...I lived in andean Bolivia some years ago at around 8400ft, etc...athletes from different countries have complained about needing to perform in mex DF needing an acclimatization period...just take it easy and don't overdo the activity until things come to an equilibrium...

wish I had the pension income to live there, one of my favorite cities...

• Like 2

indeed it's the altitude that causes fatigue...yer cardio - resp system will havta work harder until you acclimatize...I lived in andean Bolivia some years ago at around 8400ft, etc...athletes from different countries have complained about needing to perform in mex DF needing an acclimatization period...just take it easy and don't overdo the activity until things come to an equilibrium...   wish I had the pension income to live there, one of my favorite cities...

Yes thinner air at altitude AND many pollutants in the MC air such as CO that more readily binds with the RBC than O2.

Google how to increase red blood cells or anemia to find recommendations to speed your acclimation.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Does Florida qualify as Latin America? It used to be owned by the Spanish and is largely Spanish speaking today.

Like many Canadians, thats where I plan to retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
Miami is arguably part of Latin America in culture.
It's not really on topic for obvious reasons.
For Americans it would be repatriation rather than expatriation.
For others it would be migration to Latin American micro region of a mostly non Latin American nation.
Also the USA does not offer a retirement visa.
Puerto Rico could be viewed in a similar way.
That said the Spanish I'm learning is useless in Thailand but would be vital to living in Latin America and also very useful and rewarding if repatriating to many areas in the USA.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2