Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

Good grief! I've not checked in in 48 hours and this topic got really testy.  Oh well.

Quick check in on my actual move from Thailand to CDMX. 

I have made a few new local friends that speak English and they have been very helpful to my navigating as a non Spanish speaker.   I'm picking up a little Spanish here and there. 

The weather is still beautiful,  although we do have less blue in the sky from the volcanic ash.

I move into my 2nd Airbnb Wednesday for 30 days   i have learned enough of the city to know where I can find groceries not carried at the local markets. 

Getting more familiar with the Metro and starting to stabilize my spending.  Bought some groceries and am starting to have meals at my apartment. 

I have my first social event with an expatriate group this week. 

As an American,  I have six months on my tourist visa to develop a better understanding of living in CDMX. 

Nightlife here is amazing.   Went out for some great pizza and a bottle of white wine with a local guy I know last night.  We split the check and my part was 15 dollars u.s.

I don't have much else to report.  I'm finally feeling less like I'm out on a limb and it could break anytime.   

Catching up on Netflix tonight and enjoying relaxing in my own apartment. 

I should point out that for me, I am not focused right now on the legal, logistical and country specific issues in Mexico.   My experience here, especially CDMX,  has been good and I am focused on bringing some calm into my life.  I'll figure the rest out as I go forward.   Oh, worth pointing out  i could not logistically and financially do this by going back to the USA.   With no car, family, possession and a few friends,  I needed a place easy to live and where I did not need a car, plus furnished apartments are the norm. 

The USA was a non starter for me.

The next few months will be important for me to evaluate my life and adaptation living in CDMX. 

Y'all take care,

Adios.

20190330_180642.jpg

20190330_180545.jpg

Edited by CaptainJack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Captain Jack

Thanks for the update, always interesting to me.

Yes, the thread did get a bit tetchy. That sadly seems to happen on any thread where either someone posts that they have left Thailand or are considering it.

In your post you sound more upbeat, good.

Your pizza and wine at $30 for 2 people sounds good to me, just a bottle of cheap plonk here would cost that, before the pizza.

It sounds like you are in a better place.I noticed you commented a few posts back about being at an outdoor cafe and the temperature was a pleasant 24 c.

I live in naklua ( pattaya ) and spent some time sitting outside  yesterday, just people watching really, not at a bar and at times with the extreme humidity on top of the high temperature it felt sort of like being slow baked in an oven.

Pollution has worsened also.

Take Care and Good Luck

• Like 2

I discovered a juicy bit of information on how you can stay in Colombia on tourist status for a full year, instead of only 180 days, which I previously thought was the limit. The key is that the rule is the limit is 180 days in a CALENDER year.

So for example you can enter in late June, early July and get 90 days. Then extend 90 days in country. Then take a little trippy poo out of Colombia, and then back. Repeat.  So that's a full year. But then you would need to go away. 

Unclear on how onerous the in country extensions are though.

For people serious and eligible for retirement status there, there would be little point of playing that game though. But good for digital nomads, long stay travelers, etc. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

What about forums for the various Latin American nations?

Is there are a thaivisa.com over there? Is there a UbonJuan visa guru?

For the most part, not really. 

Well, Mexico is a huge expat magnet for Americans and Canadians so yes I recall there are some large Mexico specific forums out there.

For the other countries, they're all covered by the "big chain" expat forums.

You can easily find those. They cover the world but will have sections for the various Latin American nations. Generally in my experience, not very robust, impressive, or helpful. Better than nothing though. 

I haven't looked super hard yet but no large Colombia wide, Colombia specific expat forum pops out at me as yet. I don't think it exists. If any reader finds it, please PM me with the name.

I used to read a Buenos Aires specific expat forum that you can easily find. What I found weird about it (I haven't looked at it recently) was how thin the information there was there on practical visa issues.

Of course there are tons of sites with blogs, visa info of various credibility, etc.

But not the same as a thaivisa FORUM type thing where most any question, no matter how obscure, will usually be responded to very quickly. 

I get the impression that FACEBOOK expat groups are very big there and that likely replaces a lot of the same stuff as an expat forum.

People use them a lot to search for apartments but there also scammers and vultures there. 

I have also noticed that in Colombia WHATSAPP is really really big with the locals, and basically a must app for expats as well. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I discovered a juicy bit of information on how you can stay in Colombia on tourist status for a full year, instead of only 180 days, which I previously thought was the limit. The key is that the rule is the limit is 180 days in a CALENDER year.

So for example you can enter in late June, early July and get 90 days. Then extend 90 days in country. Then take a little trippy poo out of Colombia, and then back. Repeat.  So that's a full year. But then you would need to go away. 

Unclear on how onerous the in country extensions are though.

For people serious and eligible for retirement status there, there would be little point of playing that game though. But good for digital nomads, long stay travelers, etc. 

Why don't you try 180 there and 180 in Thailand.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JordanJones said:

Why don't you try 180 there and 180 in Thailand.

Not interested.

Too expensive anyway.

If I move to Colombia, my goal would be to rent a local market unfurnished apartment.

Then I'd be paying for that all year and going all the way back to Thailand for what exactly and still dealing with visa headaches here?

Maybe you mistake me for a digital nomad type.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Not interested.

Too expensive anyway.

If I move to Colombia, my goal would be to rent a local market unfurnished apartment.

Then I'd be paying for that all year and going all the way back to Thailand for what exactly and still dealing with visa headaches here?

Maybe you mistake me for a digital nomad type.

Cheers.

Ok then live there for 360 days and report back how it goes.

• Like 1

Never been attracted by Latin America, however have travelling 1/2 of the world. 

Being Belgian I am particularly attracted by the French Riviera, but too expensive. 

However I like to speak about it and about other possibilities as the Riviera di Levante.

I am 70+, and since 2000 permanently in Thailand, and hoping I can stay here. 

I understand Jingthing;

just like me, he is a talker/writer , and he like it, but in practice not really a doer. 

I don't consider this as negative. 

• Like 2

Hi,

I'll continue to post my journey because I don't really have anyone else that gives a s*hit and hopefully what I share us useful. 

I've not had my teeth cleaned in over 6 months.   It is nice I could pop into a 24 hour dentist and get a full exam and thorough cleaning by a dental doctor.   She did a good job.  I might have gotten it cheaper if I would have found a regular clinic and scheduled an appointment. 

Anyway,  it cost me 88 dollars U.S..   i don't have dental insurance in the USA and any dentist will want to demand on advanced xrays, etc. At least 300 dollars. 

I trust this doctor.  She and her staff went out of their way to help me.  Nobody spoke English.   I used Google translate to fill out my new patent form.

Now the bad news.  All those 20 plus year old filling I had replaced (necessary) in 2011? Four have broken down.   Did you know composite fillings only last 5 to 6 years? Geez.  Trying to get ahead financially and now this.  Well, it could be a lot worse.   Here in CDMX I can get xrays and replacement filling for 1/4 what it would cost me in the USA.   

Bottom line? Life and taking care of your health does not stop just because you change countries you live in.

Oh, the poster that commented on the TV forum and it's quality over other expat forums? Your right on.  For the most part, I have found them useless.   

Pressing on.  No choice.  Not willing to jump in the volcano,  just yet. [emoji849]

Keep going Captain !!

It’s interesting comparing prices and quality from one country to the next.
You have a great opportunity to explore the city, and the country, and find out if it’s really for you.
Don’t jump the gun and commit too early , you know what happened last time [emoji51].

It’s interesting watching your journey.
I have a great affinity with SA, well Brazil, Argentina and Chile, and I worked in Mexico a lot and traveled to a few places, found it to be a great country with great people !!
I ventured into CDMX a few times, as was nearby in Toluca, and found it a great ( immense ) city, although I do have to say that the traffic and the black smoke being pumped out by those old buses ( air pollution in general ) would make me think twice about living there .

I wish you well Captain and sincerely hope you find your paradise !!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Never been attracted by Latin America, however have travelling 1/2 of the world. 

Being Belgian I am particularly attracted by the French Riviera, but too expensive. 

However I like to speak about it and about other possibilities as the Riviera di Levante.

I am 70+, and since 2000 permanently in Thailand, and hoping I can stay here. 

I understand Jingthing;

just like me, he is a talker/writer , and he like it, but in practice not really a doer. 

I don't consider this as negative. 

Yeah, sure, I didn't move to Thailand. 

What percentage of people that carefully CONSIDER moving to Thailand actually do?

Whether I move to Latin America or not is a complex personal decision.

Regardless of my eventual personal decision, a number of countries in Latin America have quite attractive programs for expats. This isn't news. It's going back several decades. I suppose the earliest promoters of these programs are probably Costa Rica (which has now backed off from hard selling this) and Panama. 

• Like 1

Although Colombia and I think with good reasons tops my personal list, I haven't totally rejected Mexico either. An interesting thing I've learned is that the Mexican consulates in the U.S. vary a lot on the strictness of their policies and enforcement. For example one office might require absurdities like signed letters from U.S. banks with explanations from the bank official of how the funds got there, along with original statements going back 12 months, notaries, translations (it's just too much) others might take printouts from online and accept 3 months of records. The easier ones are in TEXAS, specifically Laredo. Of course that could change overnight.

A link to a lawyer in the Guadalajara / Chapala area --

http://www.chapalalaw.com/

Edited by Jingthing

On 3/28/2019 at 8:04 PM, CaptainJack said:

A short abd simple comparison between Bkk and CDMX.

Interesting compare cities and counties. 

MC vs Bangkok 

Polution, better
Traffic, better
Cost worse, more expensive 
Population, same
Metro, worse
Weather, better, cooler
Nature, trees, better
Immigration,  better
Women, beautiful like Thai, but not date farrang much.
Police, better.
Safety crime, better some place city. Worse other place city.
Safety nature, worse. MC have bad earthquakes and also active volcano close.
Medical care, same private hospital Bkk
Language,  more easy. English and Spanish have common origins.

That was for my old Thai girlfriend.  Kinda lame comparison, but I think you get it. Here is a link on the earthquake frequently. 

CJ

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/mexico.html

Alot of misinformation in your post.

CDMX has some really bad air quality months, with smokey, ozone laden air.

Personal security is much worse in CDMX. Google "secuestro expres".  Forget it, I did it for you.

https://www.publimetro.com.mx/mx/nacional/2018/10/14/se-actuar-ante-secuestro-express.html

The metro is one of the best in the world, and you can get almost anywhere for 5 pesos.

The women are a bit  stocky, and masculine looking. (not sure why you felt the need to provide a comparison for your ex-girlfriend though.)

Nature is fantastic with mountains, surfable beaches etc.  Unfortunately many of the remote places are too dangerous to visit.

That place you are renting looks like a dump in a dodgy hood.  Better move over to Polanco, but expect to pay $2500++ per month for a decent place.

English and spanish do not have common origins.  English is a germanic language, while spanish is one of the romance languages.

Stop calling yourself a farang.  You are a gringo now!

Edited by grifbel
  • Thanks 1

Well, one great thing about Spanish for English speakers is that there is a bucket load of Spanish words that are extremely close to English words. 

http://linguim.com/en/es/spanish-words-similar-to-english.html

Also, Americans often know more Spanish words than they think just based on growing up there. The USA is more a salsa nation these days than a ketchup nation.

I've been looking at paid options after free Duolingo. There are pros and cons to all of them. There is

Pimsleur

Rosetta

Rocket 

Fluenz

Baselang (using online Venezuelan tutors)

and others.

Without going into details, I'm not hot on Pimsleur or Rosetta. They might be perfect for others. I tried out a free sample course on Rocket and found it a little too similar to Duolingo with a game approach. 

Baselang might be great if you're ready to commit to multiple hours online every day, as they price based on a monthly subscription which is expensive if you don't use it a lot but a super bargain if you do. They clearly have a gym style marketing strategy assuming probably correctly that most people pay but then get lazy and end up wasting their money. Also I'd be concerned about whether the teachers have enough food, plus you need to make bookings in only 30 minute slots, plus your teachers change all the time, plus there are issues with the Venezuelan internet connections. Still, for those that really will use them for hours daily, could be a super bargain.

Currently the rather expensive FLUENZ has emerged as highest on my list. It's a software tutor video program but not a live one. They tailor specifically to English speakers. They don't try to tell any B.S. lies about quick and easy fluency. It seems the adult choice. The tutor seems to be brilliant though I can imagine getting sick of her.

https://fluenz.com/language/learn-spanish/

Obviously better than any program would be a good one on one live tutor. But that would be very expensive even in Latin America. 

Edited by Jingthing

Hi

Argentina ?

I guess this is off most people s options list due to economic instability/inflation.

I have never been there, actually only ever been to Mexico within the Latin America area.

Putting economic instability aside ( not actually an issue for me ) what are the positives and negatives ?

On reading, it seems cheap, good quality food and wine.

Accommodation seems cheap.

Climate, depends on area I suppose.

Is is safe ? As they are suffering economic hardship is there a fair chance they would welcome visitors ? Seems logical.

I am a fair way off my birth country s retirement age so no pension.

Have property rented out and stock investments as well as doing some trading online.

Residency is not of high priority to me.

Climate , food, public transport ( gave up driving   and would prefer not to start again ) and a solid internet connection are some of my priorities.

For anyone interested in economics related to Argentina a link to a fairly good quality reuters article, from late last year.

Nothing in the article for potential expats nor visitors, it is simply business/economics.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-economy-crisis/how-a-year-of-endless-storms-battered-argentinas-economy-idUSKCN1OJ18G

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, seasia said:

Hi

Argentina ?

I guess this is off most people s options list due to economic instability/inflation.

I have never been there, actually only ever been to Mexico within the Latin America area.

Putting economic instability aside ( not actually an issue for me ) what are the positives and negatives ?

On reading, it seems cheap, good quality food and wine.

Accommodation seems cheap.

Climate, depends on area I suppose.

Is is safe ? As they are suffering economic hardship is there a fair chance they would welcome visitors ? Seems logical.

I am a fair way off my birth country s retirement age so no pension.

Have property rented out and stock investments as well as doing some trading online.

Residency is not of high priority to me.

Climate , food, public transport ( gave up driving   and would prefer not to start again ) and a solid internet connection are some of my priorities.

For anyone interested in economics related to Argentina a link to a fairly good quality reuters article, from late last year.

Nothing in the article for potential expats nor visitors, it is simply business/economics.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-economy-crisis/how-a-year-of-endless-storms-battered-argentinas-economy-idUSKCN1OJ18G

LOL Mexico City is filled with Argentinians and Argentinian restaurants.  Maybe that is a clue.....

While I'm not suggesting Brazil is a good expatriation destination, it is arguably the most important country in Latin America (or maybe that's Mexico), and living there you may want to at least visit. Good visa news!

Also included -- Canada, Australia, and Japan. 

Brazil Waives Entry Visa Requirements for U.S. Citizens

https://www.forbes.com/sites/micheleherrmann/2019/03/21/brazil-waives-entry-visa-requirements/

1 hour ago, seasia said:

Hi

Argentina ?

Well, moving there now would certainly be interesting.

As I said before their cyclical financial crises are basically predictable.

Perhaps something about their national character.

I have heard Chileans laugh at them. 

I recall you're not interested in retirement status but they have a visa for both retirement and private income.

Because of the extreme nature of their currency weakening, I don't trust the numbers I'm seeing on websites. 

Previously, historically, their level for pension retirement has been about 2,000 USD monthly and much higher for private sourced income.

I think that anyone seriously interested in either would need to directly contact Argentinian embassies/consulates and ask for their current numbers. 

Another Thailand related thing of concern. They do require fully officialized (translated, apostle) police record documents from any place you've lived during the last three years. Those documents need to be quite fresh. Only 60 days!

Contrast to Ecuador which I recall allows six months age, which I think is more typical when they're required.

Anyone that has gone through the process of getting these officialized POLICE RECORD documents recently from Thailand for any Latin American nation, please post with as much detail as you're willing and able to cough up. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, seasia said:

Argentina ?

Not for us Brits, I think! If they kicked off on the Falklands again we'd almost certainly find ourselves extremely unpopular with the natives (to put it mildly)!

Not for us Brits, I think! If they kicked off on the Falklands again we'd almost certainly find ourselves extremely unpopular with the natives (to put it mildly)!

Last time I visited there ( late 90’s ) there was a big billboard as you exited the airport which read
“ las malvinas son nuestras “ ( the Falklands are ours ) with a map showing the location and it’s proximity to Argentina .

Not the best of welcomes !!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

What about forums for the various Latin American nations?

Is there are a thaivisa.com over there? Is there a UbonJuan visa guru?

For the most part, not really. 

Well, Mexico is a huge expat magnet for Americans and Canadians so yes I recall there are some large Mexico specific forums out there.

For the other countries, they're all covered by the "big chain" expat forums.

You can easily find those. They cover the world but will have sections for the various Latin American nations. Generally in my experience, not very robust, impressive, or helpful. Better than nothing though. 

I haven't looked super hard yet but no large Colombia wide, Colombia specific expat forum pops out at me as yet. I don't think it exists. If any reader finds it, please PM me with the name.

I used to read a Buenos Aires specific expat forum that you can easily find. What I found weird about it (I haven't looked at it recently) was how thin the information there was there on practical visa issues.

Of course there are tons of sites with blogs, visa info of various credibility, etc.

But not the same as a thaivisa FORUM type thing where most any question, no matter how obscure, will usually be responded to very quickly. 

I get the impression that FACEBOOK expat groups are very big there and that likely replaces a lot of the same stuff as an expat forum.

People use them a lot to search for apartments but there also scammers and vultures there. 

I have also noticed that in Colombia WHATSAPP is really really big with the locals, and basically a must app for expats as well. 

I told you very early in this thread that forums exist specifically for at least Mexico. I don't think you are allowed to give the names out here but a quick google with the terms ex pat plus country is all that's needed. All the info in this thread and more is out there already.

I told you very early in this thread that forums exist specifically for at least Mexico. I don't think you are allowed to give the names out here but a quick google with the terms ex pat plus country is all that's needed. All the info in this thread and more is out there already.

Yes I was reading some Mexican forums years ago. Not news. I recall one of them required payment. Cheeky. I would like to know about a Colombian specific forum but I think it might not exist. Yes don't name them. If anyone knows of Colombia specific forums again PM me. The chain ones are obvious.

Info on the web is often dated. If you're suggesting there is no possible added value in a thread like this that is more specific about ex Thai expat related issues then you're most welcome to not read or post to it.

Especially solicited here is info about the police reports from Thailand specifics for specific Latin American nations when required.

Seemingly little things like that can easily become deal breakers especially if you've already left Thailand.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I was reading some Mexican forums years ago. Not news. I recall one of them required payment. Cheeky. I would like to know about a Colombian specific forum but I think it might not exist. Yes don't name them. If anyone knows of Colombia specific forums again PM me. The chain ones are obvious.

Info on the web is often dated. If you're suggesting there is no possible added value in a thread like this that is more specific about ex Thai expat related issues then you're most welcome to not read or post to it.

Especially solicited here is info about the police reports from Thailand specifics for specific Latin American nations when required.

Seemingly little things like that can easily become deal breakers especially if you've already left Thailand.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not saying no value is added. Just think there is probably better use of time than reading 50 pages of a thread when most of it lacks info. It would probably merit at some point clipping out the useful pieces otherwise it is simply buried. 

I think it's a bit like trying to re-invent the wheel.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:16 AM, BritManToo said:

Not much sex available there for old men ....... which is why we chose the third world.

Can't imagine anyone except for Americans considering SA.

thailand is barely third world these days and certainly not 3rd world prices hence you left and according to you and other brexiteers spain,portugal etc are near 3rd world due to the EU,total rubbish imo,plus i dont see why you think only americans should consider SA i would think many french,italian,germans etc would be able to speak spanish compared to barely any brits,brits will keep returning to thailand because it reminds them of the UK and has large groups of pals wearing unionjack clothing who live/visit regular,they wont enjoy change and drinking and shouting aloud and nobody understanding what they are on about and basically laffing at them,the thai's are polite enough to do it after they have made sure the bill has been settled,a brazillian/columbian/peruvian would laff in their faces before the bill was sent for

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1